Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording a drum machine with start/stop - no sync - Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording a drum machine with start/stop - no sync - Possible?

I am on version 2.1.5. I have drum machines that I can send MIDI from or into. What I'd like to do is just send the start message so the drum machine starts playing and the BB starts recording at the same time.Before I do that I can match the BPMs on both machines. I am recording 8 bars or so and want perfect loops but ideally without the drum machine trying to sync to the Blackbox. The goal would be to capture the feel of the drum machine just playing without any syncing.

Is this possible or should I slave the Blackbox to the drum machine instead?

You don't mention which drum machine you are using, but hopefully it can react to MIDI.

In my case I have set my UNO Drum to be a slave of the BlackBox. This means that the drum machine starts as soon as I press REC + PLAY on the BlackBox. This makes it possible to record a drum sequence precisely. Note that you do have to manually set the length of the clip to record up front. This also works fine when recording MIDI from the UNO Drum into a sequence on the BlackBox.

Pretty good in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bobvoi View Post
      You don't mention which drum machine you are using, but hopefully it can react to MIDI.

In my case I have set my UNO Drum to be a slave of the BlackBox. This means that the drum machine starts as soon as I press REC + PLAY on the BlackBox. This makes it possible to record a drum sequence precisely. Note that you do have to manually set the length of the clip to record up front. This also works fine when recording MIDI from the UNO Drum into a sequence on the BlackBox.

Pretty good in my opinion.
      Yeah thats fine and the standard use case but not exactly what I want to do, I have multiple drum machines - all have MIDI. Not all machines sync well as slaves to a master clock (they jitter) , and when you do multiple takes for each drum the original feel is gone.

So you are basically syncing your drum machine to the Blaclbox correct? I do not want to do that. Now if you are just sending start and stop and the drum machien starts playing while not getting sync - that is perfect. But you are saying it is the slave which means it is being synced. Can I turn off the sync out in the BB and just have it send start stop? This is what I am going to mess with.

Comment

Ahhh MixWithPassion , I think I understand where you're going! The BlackBox will emit any MIDI that comes in, including start- and stop signals, meaning that the BlackBox itself doesn't have much control over what MIDI-signals to let through and what to stop. Therefore it is - like with any MIDI hardware - pretty easy to end up with nasty MIDI loops, where different equipment battle to be the master.

In my setup I think the RK-006 USB MIDI hub from Retrokits (https://retrokits.com/shop/rk006/) comes to rescue, as it can be programmed to allow certain MIDI and block others. I have written a blog-post on the RK-006 usage here https://www.proudprogrammer.no/web/p...ks/GANI-CD9J4S

It might not hit the bulls eye in regard to your scenario, but it will show some screenshots from the RK-006's User Interface, and perhaps reveal some possibilities.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• MixWithPassion
          MixWithPassion commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah it does, thank you. I figured out some tricks over the weekend where some drum machines will use their own clock and still take stop and start. So that is really cool and I was able to capture some really nice loops. The Rk006 is also a simply genius machine which I own and can definitely try as well. I am not sure if the Rk006 can convert type A into MIDI type B, but it is so versatile with the cable pack you get with it, that I am sure it does that too.

Good article, thank you. This is definitely another solution.
      Working...
      X