Blackbox forgets Midi-mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbox forgets Midi-mapping

I’ve got a Faderfox PC44 connected via TRS-midi to my Bluebox and that same Faderfox controller connected to the Blackbox via USB-midi. I’ve mapped all the Volume and Filters controls for every Pad.

The TRS-midi works flawlessly on the Bluebox, but my mappings on the Blackbox are sometimes “forgotten”. I haven’t really found out exactly under what circumstances this happens, just that some mappings suddenly are gone. And sometimes the mappings are still there (indicated by the small blue square beside Vol for example) but when moving the knob on the Faderfox nothing happens.

-If the mappings are gone, you can of course just re- enter them, but would be nice if they just stayed there.
    -if the mappings are still there, the issue is often resolved by re-connecting the USB cable between Faderfox and Blackbox.

it’s not the end of the world, but in a Live situation it’s a little stressful to discover that the mappings are gone.

Any ideas on how to solve this, or maybe what could be wrong?
    Maybe I need to setup the USB-midi in certain way? Is Blackbox sending out MIDI via USB? Can I disable this?

And, lastly, are the mappings connected to the Pad it self, as in: if I load new sample to that pad, are the Volume mapping intact?

I use the latest firmware (2.1.5) and a good SD card (128gb) as recommended on this forum

Same question.
    Especially in live situations this has caused great frustration.

I figured midi mappings are also gone if i load a new sample into a pad.

So i wanted to create a bb preset with everything mapped as base preset and then load samples into. But it keeps forgetting the midi mappings.
    I think about ordering a sp404 now to see if it replaces the bb because right now like this i cannot use it for my live sets.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieThorstenson View Post
      I haven’t really found out exactly under what circumstances this happens, just that some mappings suddenly are gone. And sometimes the mappings are still there (indicated by the small blue square beside Vol for example) but when moving the knob on the Faderfox nothing happens.

-If the mappings are gone, you can of course just re- enter them, but would be nice if they just stayed there.
      -if the mappings are still there, the issue is often resolved by re-connecting the USB cable between Faderfox and Blackbox.

it’s not the end of the world, but in a Live situation it’s a little stressful to discover that the mappings are gone.

Any ideas on how to solve this, or maybe what could be wrong?
      Maybe I need to setup the USB-midi in certain way? Is Blackbox sending out MIDI via USB? Can I disable this?
      rum
      hum it happened to me SOOOOO many times : cheap korg NanoKontrols2 connected in midi usb (no choice) to BB, and every session it looses midi connection one or two times, unplugging/replugging NK2 usb cable make thing work again*, except data are lost and every controllers have to be touched again to be seen by the BB... in midi din, all my other controllers juste work fine with BB... FW 215, 1010 usb power.

*edit = and/or remapping parameters as charlieT said.
      Last edited by dertranb; 10-31-2022, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Okay so, at least it’s not just me experiencing problems with MIDI-mapping… at my last live show I had to re-map, while playing. Nerv wrecking to say the least!

As Prydal said, when loading a new sample the midi map is gone. There must be a fix for this soon. It really makes it unusable.

Comment

• dertranb
          dertranb commented
          Editing a comment
          existing mapping that are vanishing out all of a sudden is a very different problem than the "loading new sample and the parameters won"t stay".
          just saying.

Originally posted by dertranb View Post

hum it happened to me SOOOOO many times : cheap korg NanoKontrols2 connected in midi usb (no choice) to BB, and every session it looses midi connection one or two times, unplugging/replugging NK2 usb cable make thing work again*, except data are lost and every controllers have to be touched again to be seen by the BB... in midi din, all my other controllers juste work fine with BB... FW 215, 1010 usb power.

*edit = and/or remapping parameters as charlieT said.
        So you find that “regular” din-midi works as it should, just USB midi not working?
        I haven’t tried this yet as I control both Blue- and Blackbox from the same controller. Will get a din midi-splitter (or so) and see
        if that works..

Comment

• dertranb
          dertranb commented
          Editing a comment
          i could not say that this or that is working or not working, and also this problem is not everytime, so it's a tricky one, you know. BUT i was thinking NK2 was a cheap one, and that was my sole problem, and then i saw your post, "hey it's me there !" so i'm beginning to suspect usb midi. in fact in my set up, i have fewer (8) midi din mapped controllers (pads are not taken in count here) than NK2 (16), but yes i would say DIN MAPPED CONTROLLERS are more solid in my case. we should make a poll ?

edit = midi "splitter", you mean converter, like this thing ?
          Boitier hôte MIDI USB Idéal pour adapter des périphériques MIDI avec port MIDI USB à un connecteur MIDI DIN 5 broches normal, 1x entrée MIDI, 1x sortie MIDI, Alimenté par USB, 2x câbles mini-jack 3,5 mm vers MIDI, câble mini-USB et câble USB de...
          Last edited by dertranb; 11-01-2022, 02:39 AM.

i can report same issues with pc4 and blackbox mapping gone randomly and have to remap

Comment

• dertranb
          dertranb commented
          Editing a comment
          midi din or midi usb ?
          firmware ?

• trainspotter
          trainspotter commented
          Editing a comment
          midi over usb, latest firmware 2.1.5

just checkerd: when switching between clip or sample mode etc the midi mappings are gone

Comment

• dertranb
          dertranb commented
          Editing a comment
          midi din or midi usb ?
          firmware ?
          which midi controller.s ?

• Prydal
          Prydal commented
          Editing a comment
          midi din, latest firmware, faderfox PC12 midicontroller

There is a Wish List topic already asking for midi mappings to be preserved when you change the sample/mode of a pad. The best way for you to ask for this is to find that topic and add a “+1” comment. This is how the 1010 team assesses demand for features.

Comment

Again, -thus- has the correct answer. Also.... and I cannot stress this enough... Please do not post latest firmware as that term is ambiguous. We will always ask for clarification before we can offer any type of help.

Firmware as a number is always going to be the best practice here.

Comment

please consider that existing mapping that are vanishing out all of a sudden WITH NO REASON + loss of midi usb connection is a very different problem than the "loading new sample and the parameters won"t stay".
            just saying.​

also it may involve unstability/bug of midi over usb...
            Last edited by dertranb; 11-04-2022, 09:38 AM.

Comment

it's seems that i'm not the only one who sees the midi (over usb) mapping, either vanishing with no reason, either is lost as the midi controller disconnects. it happens in midi over usb. with no reason in the middle of playing. replugging the midi usb is making things ok. but as i said, sometimes the mapping is really lost. my other midi "din" controllers work fine, but the nanokontrol2 in midi over usb is always loosing it's connection, each session. or parameters vanishe...

fm215
            we did discuss that here :

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...s-midi-mapping
            Last edited by dertranb; 11-07-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I find USB midi very hit and miss lately and replugging the USB cable is annoying. Gone back to 5 pin and works everytime!

Comment

• dertranb
                dertranb commented
                Editing a comment
                would you say that the midi over usb connection breaks with no reason, as me at this point ? or did you find out some kind of situation that would lead to this deconnection ?? firmware ? which controller ? did you experience only the random midi over usb deconnection or both the deconnection AND the random vanishing parameters ??

I just link the BB to either my synths or computer to keep them locked but find its just the sync that drops, so the start stop commands don't work. replugging sorts it.

Comment

I recently got a BB and have been loving it so far! However, I wanted to add to this with the same problem rather than starting a new thread, although I'm not sure if it will be seen. I've had the same problem with midi over USB mappings dropping out. I'm on Firmware 2.1.5 and it seems that the midi mappings are lost when deleting/loading new samples to a pad, or when changing between sample/clip mode with a loaded sample.

I've been using a Launch Control XL, and have put it in low power mode and powered from the power supply. I have been trying to create a preset with levels/pitch/cutoff all mapped to the LCXL so that I can start with that template each time and have everything pre-mapped, but this doesn't seem possible at the moment - as soon as I switch out a sample it un-maps the midi mappings. I also have noticed a few instances of the mapping dropping without changing samples, but haven't been able to replicate this.

I'm not sure if this bug is being addressed in the upcoming firmware updates, but I thought I'd add another account of the bug.

Comment

• -thus-
                  -thus- commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As much as I agree that this feels like a bug — I can think of no reason to WANT this behavior — this is as-designed and therefore a wishlist item. Be sure to search for it in the wish list section of the forum and add your +1.

I have stopped using the BB for recording jams and ideas due to the same issue.

MIDI mapping is lost a short amount of time after having created the mapped connection.

I use 2.1.5 and a Launch Control XL via USB host mode on the BB. I've tried both power banks and the PSU supplied with the BB. The combination previously worked fine, however i have changed the LCXL to 'low power mode' in case that made a difference - it didn't.

Example -
                I select a pad, press INFO twice, on the Main page I select volume, press INFO once, tap 'Learn', move a fader on the LCXL, the 'Source' is updated to 'CC'. I make sure that the 'amount' is at 100%.
                I can move the fader to alter the volume of the pad for a few minutes (or perhaps it should be counted in times i use the fader), after which the pad stops responding to any movement of the fader.
                The same process can be repeated with knobs or pads on the LCXL.

This is very frustrating as I love the powerful options this box offers me for making music, but this particular issue really gets in the way for me.
                Not just me, of course.

This is not a wishlist worthy item, there's a bug somewhere, as with no changes to the controller, the ability to use it with the BB stopped.
                It may have began occurring when updating to 2.1.5, although this would seem counter intuitive as usability is supposed to increase, and bugs are smashed with iterations of firmware, no?

Comment

Working...
                X