WIDI Bud Compatiblity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIDI Bud Compatiblity?

Have you guys tried to use the CME Widi Bud connected to your device?

I don't believe it works - would be sweet to have BLE control over the blackbox as an option and this is a way it could be done.

Any chance that this is a possibility?

That looks like an interesting product. I can certainly see the appeal of a bluetooth solution. We haven't tested with that specific device yet. As you can imagine there are lots of options out there and we haven't been able to test them all. I'll see if we can find some time to reach out to them and see what's going on.
    Last edited by Christine; 04-22-2019, 12:52 PM. Reason: I originally posted before looking up the WIDI bud. I changed my response once I better understood what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
      That looks like an interesting product. I can certainly see the appeal of a bluetooth solution. We haven't tested with that specific device yet. As you can imagine there are lots of options out there and we haven't been able to test them all. I'll see if we can find some time to reach out to them and see what's going on.
      Let me know if you are aware of another usb Bluetooth LE dongle.

i believe Yamaha makes one but I don’t know if it does what the Widi bud does.

Comment

oHeFFeSS, do you think this could be a power issue? Have you tried it with the blackbox plugged into a wall power source instead of a battery? Did any of the recent builds fix it? Just wondering if this is still an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
          oHeFFeSS, do you think this could be a power issue? Have you tried it with the blackbox plugged into a wall power source instead of a battery? Did any of the recent builds fix it? Just wondering if this is still an issue.
          Christine - I did a bunch of testing and it looks like the widi bud works well now on both battery power and mains power. It automatically connects to my roli lightpad block m and can be connected to my iphone by advertising my phone as a peripheral (I used the AUM app to do this), at which point when connected to the blackbox, it automatically connects.

This is a pretty awesome development.

If you connect one BLE device directly from another BLE device (like lightpad block directly to WIDI Bud) the latency is not so bad.

RESULTS MAY VARY!

Comment

Glad to hear its working now!!

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post
              can be connected to my iphone by advertising my phone as a peripheral (I used the AUM app to do this), at which point when connected to the blackbox, it automatically connects.
              hi, are there alternatives, besides AUM?

trying with audiobus, as I already have that.
              Last edited by Michal Ho; 03-24-2021, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Does the new Bud Pro work too?

Comment

I’m using the WIDI Jack. It’s working quite well.

I choose WIDI Jack because it connects to the TRS MIDI, as opposed to USB. The Blackbox USB A only supports one controller. I have several. The TRS MIDI support any number of controllers and devices simultaneously.

Expanding on what others here said:

Connecting other WIDI devices is easy and latency is quite low. Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) can be included in a “Auto-Discover Group” so they connect automatically each time. To use this feature, it’s important you update the WIDI firmware to the latest version, enable auto discover, then turn on your BLE devices. After they all connect to the WIDI, press the button on the WIDI to lock in the group.

IOS devices are another story, as Apple insists on changing the Bluetooth ID every 15 minutes. There is no way currently to automatically connect an IOS device. If you want to use the auto-discover feature, do not push the WIDI button to lock in the auto-discover group after the IOS device connects to the WIDI. If you do, the group will be locked and the IOS device will not connect, as it will have a different Bluetooth ID. Either way, IOS devices will not reconnect automatically each time. You will have to use something like MIDIMITTR or AUM to “advertise” the IOS device each time so the WIDI connects to it.

Because of this, I have ordered a WIDI UHOST to use for my iPad. Thus, my BLE devices (two CME XKey Air controller keyboards) and my iPad will automatically connect. The bonus for me is that I can include the BLE keyboard controllers (two CME XKey Air units) in my studio network - I will connect the UHOST to my MioXM router.
                  Last edited by DovGoldman; 07-31-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for posting this. Sounds promising.

Adding that I also just picked up a WIDI Jack and can confirm that it does work well with iOS from BB. What's really nice is that WJ can be powered directly from the BB TRS MIDI Out jack.

Thus far, I've tested sending MIDI sequences from BB --> AUM, as well as tested how responsive piano key presses on the BB would be. Instant, in my view anyway.

WIDI BT devices work really well together. I have all of them.

Comment

I have yet to try widi uhost with blackbox’s usb - in theory I see no reason not for it to work if a widi bud already does. In any case, it appears that a widimaster can’t draw any power from blackbox’s trs midi ports.

Comment

Georges I am using WIDI Jack with Blackbox, and it is drawing power from the TRS MIDI jacks.

Comment

• Georges
                        Georges commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes, that works of course, however widimaster with din adapter doesn’t work
                    Working...
                    X