Real-time midi control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real-time midi control

Can you use the pads and keys on the blackbox to send midi notes to other devices in real-time? I’m able to send sequences when I assign midi out, but am having trouble getting anything to send when I play the pads or the keys.

Thanks!

As of version 1.0.3, the pads and keys don't currently send MIDI. I'm thinking the target (typically a sequence) should thru the MIDI on the specified channel. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      As of version 1.0.3, the pads and keys don't currently send MIDI. I'm thinking the target (typically a sequence) should thru the MIDI on the specified channel. What do you think?
      Aaron - what you’re talking about sounds cool... a form of auto out.

Can you describe what you’re talking about in a little more detail?

I’m still hoping for per pad midi out settings in addition to an auto channel.

Comment

I have heard two different ideas for MIDI thruing:
        1) Use the sequence as the destination. For example, select the first sequence cell and set it to MIDI Out Channel 1. Any time this sequence is selected (pink) the pads and keys and incoming MIDI are also sent to MIDI out channel 1.
        2) Assign a MIDI channel on each pad. When playing this pad from inside the box, or with an external controller, send the note data out on this channel as well.

I think I have seen #1 implemented more places. I look forward to your thoughts.

Comment

1) Use the sequence as the destination. For example, select the first sequence cell and set it to MIDI Out Channel 1. Any time this sequence is selected (pink) the pads and keys and incoming MIDI are also sent to MIDI out channel 1.
          2) Assign a MIDI channel on each pad. When playing this pad from inside the box, or with an external controller, send the note data out on this channel as well.

I think I have seen #1 implemented more places. I look forward to your thoughts.
          I would choose 1.
          Also, i would like to have the midi routed from midi-in (any channel)->selected sequence midi channel -> midi out AND internal engine (playing pads/samples assigned to same midi channel as the sequence midi channel).
          if no midi channel is set on the sequence (default), it will be routed to the global channel triggering the pads with no midi channel assigned.

Reason for this is that at the moment, if i want to play/record pad1 sample polyphonically (midi ch1) and then pad2 sample polyphonic (midi channel 2) i would have to change the midi out channel on my external keyboard, which is in many cases not very accessible.

I don't have the blackbox yet, so i have to verify if that makes sense hopefully in a few days ...

Comment

Aaron, the reason I’m advocating per pad midi outs is to eliminates confusion. It will and allow you to play multiple external instruments from a single sequence.

I know you can have other sequences running and have midi channels set to those but...

Logically, if when you’re editing a sequence you can play multiple internal sounds at once - why can’t you also play multiple external instruments at once?

Per pad midi outs - in my mind - fixes this issue.

if you also had an auto channel which route incoming midi to the currently selected pad (or sequence if you set a sequence midi channel - which would take precedence over the per pad midi outs) then you would have a ton of flexibility of how to set up midi connections to external instruments and could play all external instruments with the same flexibility you can play the internal ones.

Comment

On the other hand, for me this topic is not the highest priority.
              i see the blackbox primary as a kickass sampling module in the first place. It will team up nice with my RS7000, which will be hard to beat from its sequencing capabilities

Comment

Option #1 is much more standard. I would add any derivations as a configurable option.

Comment

sequencing midi distinctly from the pads would also be great, ala digitakt

Comment

Working...
                  X