X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christine
    replied
    Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post

I just looked at the schematic and they merely “recommend” 2.5mm connectors. I guess I assumed that the connector size didn’t matter - just the polarity. People in the pedal world are using 1/4” connectors!

How much do you think using a twisted pair matters?
    The polarity is the same. But you can't plug a bigger jack into a smaller socket. I guess you could argue that we would also need a hardware change to match the polarity.

The point is, we don't plan to comply with the spec. So we are making up for that with the adapter. We are consistent across all of our products so there's no question about when to use which adapter and which product is compatible and which isn't.

Leave a comment:

• oHeFFeSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron View Post

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. MIDI is a fairly slow digital signal that should work on just about any kind of wiring.
    I only ask because I want to make some cables specifically to use with midi TRS and getting twisted pairs in three conductor cables (or two conductor with shielding) seems really tough!

Is the point of twisted pairs to reduce interference or is their some other reason?

Maybe using twisted pairs with 2.5mm TRS terminated cables would be more important than if they're terminated in 3.5mm plugs because the wire used (especially if well shielded) would likely have a smaller AWG.

Is there any veracity to that idea?

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. MIDI is a fairly slow digital signal that should work on just about any kind of wiring.

Leave a comment:

• oHeFFeSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Christine View Post
    The new MIDI spec actually specified a smaller jack than we are using. So until we change the jack size (which won't happen in the foreseeable future), we won't be compliant with the spec. That's why we include the adapters in the box.
    I just looked at the schematic and they merely “recommend” 2.5mm connectors. I guess I assumed that the connector size didn’t matter - just the polarity. People in the pedal world are using 1/4” connectors!

Leave a comment:

• Christine
    replied
    The new MIDI spec actually specified a smaller jack than we are using. So until we change the jack size (which won't happen in the foreseeable future), we won't be compliant with the spec. That's why we include the adapters in the box.

Leave a comment:

• oHeFFeSS
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnPark View Post
    1010 uses the TRS Type-B, wiring. Type-A is what the MIDI org finally decided was the spec, but I think it'll be a long time before everyone moves to that, too many devices were made as Type-B before MIDI decided to pick one. https://www.midi.org/articles-old/up...pin-din-cables
    Thanks for that man... I have some awesome retrokits minimidi adapters because I have enough devices that use it but i wanted to know for sure and now I do.

luckily, my beatsqueezer uses the same polarity as the Blackbox so I have been able to route the Blackbox output directly to it.

Leave a comment:

• JohnPark
    replied
    1010 uses the TRS Type-B, wiring. Type-A is what the MIDI org finally decided was the spec, but I think it'll be a long time before everyone moves to that, too many devices were made as Type-B before MIDI decided to pick one. https://www.midi.org/articles-old/up...pin-din-cables
    Last edited by JohnPark; 06-29-2019, 03:29 PM. Reason: oops, i had that backwards at first. jeesh. fixed now.

Leave a comment:

• oHeFFeSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    I have also successfully used a TRS cable from a Novation Circuit to the blackbox. They use the same pinout. I didn't try using the adapters. Thanks for letting us know.
    Are you guys using the official midi spec polarity?

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    I have also successfully used a TRS cable from a Novation Circuit to the blackbox. They use the same pinout. I didn't try using the adapters. Thanks for letting us know.

Leave a comment:

• John Wellington-Wells
    replied
    And so it does. The weird thing is that when I use a jack to jack it works fine but using the jack to din then a MIDI lead and then a Novation adapter (all checked and fine) it doesn't work. This is with a Circuit by the way.

Spooky, huh. Not a problem just thought you might like to know.

Loving the BB by the way.

cheers

John

Leave a comment:

• John Wellington-Wells
    replied
    Thanks

John

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    That's right. MIDI slaving is possible now.

Leave a comment:

• John Wellington-Wells
    replied
    Ok, good. I assume that is yes it does rather than yes it will?

Thanks

John

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Simple answer: Yes

Leave a comment:

• John Wellington-Wells
    started a topic MIDI clock slaving

MIDI clock slaving

A simple question. Can the blackbox slave to MIDI clock through the 'in' jack? I can make it the master but would rather it slave. I don't use a pc or mac in my studio or live rig.

If it can't can it be added to an update please?

Cheers

John
Working...
X