Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midi Fighter Twister randomly losing power when switching presets!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quasimonastic
    replied
    YES!!! good for you and a huge thank you for sorting that out. At least other MFT owners will not struggle as much. To that end, the combo of MFT with an Iconnect (I'm using the Audio 4+) and launchpad X and the Blackbox is amazing. I'm controlling the BB with the MFT, LPX and the Hermod. The MFT is also controlling a zoia with a touche in there (also for the hermod) just because I can. Of course the MFT and BB together is way more streamlined but it's wonderful to know the BB can handle so much more (there are some caveats to this but I haven't had time to write them up).

Example:

Leave a comment:

• PatrickHaggart
    replied
    Quasimonastic I figured it out!!!!! The MFT draws too much power so you can get it to work if you put the LED brightness in the MFT utility to the lowest possible brightness. Granted you loose the color coding light at the bottom of each knob. I'm going to order one of these cables next to just power the MFT so I can have the best of both worlds:
    https://www.cablestogo.com/product/2...a-male-y-cable
    I'll post again if that works as well.
    Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• PatrickHaggart
    commented on 's reply
    I see, so strange. Thanks for the reply though

• Quasimonastic
    replied
    Originally posted by PatrickHaggart View Post
    Hey Quasimonastic ,
    I just purchased the MFT and it was working perfectly with the BB for the first 30 minutes and then I ended up with the exact same problem as you. It's very strange because I am using two very good quality short USB cables and the supplied charger. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I noticed that when I plug the MFT into my computer it works perfectly and when I plug a Novation Control XL into the BB it also works, so I just can't wrap my head around why the MFT won't stay on.
    Hi Patrick,

Because I stopped testing and now run my MFT through an Iconnect I never did solve the issue. Aaron posted some possible reasons and a few suggestions (which it seems like you have implemented) but I have not gone back and changed things because everything is so stable now. Apologies that I could not help.

Leave a comment:

• PatrickHaggart
    replied
    I made a video of the problem in action. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• PatrickHaggart
    replied
    Hey Quasimonastic ,
    I just purchased the MFT and it was working perfectly with the BB for the first 30 minutes and then I ended up with the exact same problem as you. It's very strange because I am using two very good quality short USB cables and the supplied charger. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I noticed that when I plug the MFT into my computer it works perfectly and when I plug a Novation Control XL into the BB it also works, so I just can't wrap my head around why the MFT won't stay on.

Leave a comment:

• xeamus
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! I really want to start making music with it!

• Quasimonastic
    replied
    Originally posted by xeamus View Post
    Just bought a MIDI Fighter Twister. Not yet arrived. Is it easy to set up with blackbox?
    It is easy to set up with the BB or any other thing that you need midi for (including programs like light room). I do a lot of different things with my MF and do find the process via the many years old MF gui tedious but very stable. There is one thing that is missing, you can't select a range per knob. They are all 0 - 127. On the Korg nano you can set the range where ever you like. It probably won't matter with the BB but using the Twister with eurorack does suffer a bit from this deficient. Other than that, the MFT is amazing. One of the few controllers that you can switch scenes with and NEVER have to guess where a parameter was set. They are so useful, I have 2 of them

Leave a comment:

• xeamus
    replied
    Just bought a MIDI Fighter Twister. Not yet arrived. Is it easy to set up with blackbox?

Leave a comment:

• NoParades
    replied
    I have been using my midifighter twister with BB since I got one in July with no hiccups. I'm using the supplied wall wart and USB cable for the BB (convenient, I didn't have to go searching for different cables), no USB hubs or anything. Admittedly I'm not using it for a lot of functionality, mainly just volume/mutes and arming tracks, but I haven't experienced any issues with power or functionality. I've also used it with other power hungry controllers with no issues.

Leave a comment:

• Paranormal Patroler
    replied
    I also got a MIDI Fighter 3D and hoping to combine both at the same time to control the BB. I will report back but it will take time, it's not highly prioritized in my to-do list in the studio, lots of stuff take precedence. Hope you get your issue solved before that, but I'll post here once I've worked things out.

Leave a comment:

• Josker
    replied
    Originally posted by Paranormal Patroler View Post
    Purchased a MFT yesterday to use with the BB, and I'll see how mine works.
    Looking forward to hearing your comments!

Leave a comment:

• Paranormal Patroler
    replied
    Purchased a MFT yesterday to use with the BB, and I'll see how mine works.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    First, I ran an overnight test with a MIDI twister connected to a blackbox and it is still running successfully.

Next, a 15' USB cable sounds like a bad idea for a configuration where you are also powering a secondary device. Your basic USB cable isn't meant to power two devices. It doesn't use wire thick enough to supply enough current. You can see a voltage drop of nearly 1V just across the cable. We supply a cable meant for this purpose. If you need to buy one, make sure you order something meant for charging devices.

The charger we supply isn't anything special. It's rated at 2.5A. Anything capable of supplying more than 2A should do the job. This typically means the bigger charger supplied with an iPad or a generic charging station. The charger that typically comes with a phone won't be enough.

Please give this stuff a try and let us know.

Leave a comment:

• Quasimonastic
    replied
    PP,
    The way I'm getting around the issue now is by powering the MFT via an iconnect audio 4+ with the BB connected via it's DIN in to the iconnects DIN out (the MFT uses a host port). Works perfectly this way but that doesn't tell us what the issue is between the MFT and BB directly. I did it like this so I could play live confidently. The huge (theoretical, I haven't tried it yet) advantage to this is that BB can have multiple controllers feeding it midi i.e. a keyboard and the MFT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X