Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an upper sample transpose limit on the BB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an upper sample transpose limit on the BB?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere- I couldn't find it: Is there an upper limit to how high the BB will transpose a sample on the keyboard? It only seems to transpose up 2 or 3 octaves. I'm at C5 and above that the sample remains at the same pitch. I'm using the KEYS page to trigger, and also an external controller.
    I was hoping create some playable keyboard instruments with looped basic waveforms that can transpose up and down a long way before losing their integrity.

As I recall, there is a 4 octave limit on pitch shifting samples, assuming a sample rate of 48kHz for the source material. Is this what you are seeing?

Comment

• visionmusic
      visionmusic commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for the late reply, 48k

Thanks for the quick reply.
    If that translates to +/- 2 octaves from original pitch that's correct. Good to know. Thanks. Is there a technical reason for this limit? Or is something that could be extended in a future firmware update? I was hoping to compile a collection of basic waveforms (sine, square, saw, tri etc.) to use for anything from basses to chords to leads and figured one sample at an octave below middle C would be most adaptable, but currently this would only go up as far as an octave above middle C.

Comment

No, I mean 4 octaves up and unlimited octaves down. What sample rate are you using?

Comment

I was also wondering if there was a reason for the 4 Oct. limit for the basic pitching of samples. Would be nice if extreme were possible. So fun. When I bought I just assumed that it would...thinking Volca Sample, T.E. OP-33 Sample in terms of just the pitching feature. If there's no reason it can't, would be great to take the limit off!

Mad love for the blackbox!

Comment

The reason for the limit is that each additional octave the algorithm transposes up consumes double the buffer space and double the CPU. At some point this gets out of hand and needs to be capped.

Comment

Aha, thanks for answering and the info, Aaron. Technical, cpu limitation. I know not of these things, but it does seem like i hit the cpu wall quite a bit, which was surprising to me with just the 16 pads and 2 upper oct. limit...I did expect it to flawlessly handle and run whatever I could throw at it. Not that I'd know if I asked, what kind of processor the blackbox uses and how powerful is it? Basically, I'm saying that the majority of issues I'm finding with the lovely blackbox seems to be hitting cpu limitations, and that I personally would be happy to pay more for a higher spec'd blackbox in the future =D!

Comment

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have thought that, at least the 'classic' sample transposition style, where the transposition is achieved via varying the speed of the sample playback, like the old samplers we had back in the early days where you could sample something and play it across the keyboard, wouldn't have required that much CPU power. How much power did the old Ensoniq EPS have for example? And that's 30 years ago.

Comment

That's kinda what I thought as well visionmusic...which is why i asked about it, and mentioned the volca sample and op-33 (since they are budget "toy"sample players that can't have massive cpu power, yet do extreme pitching easily). Does varying the playback speed for pitch transposition take up so much juice, Aaron?

Comment

Working...
                X