Precison of slice markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precison of slice markers

I experimented a little bit with sampling a drumset from my JD-Xi in one long sample and applying slicing (with scan algorithm) on it to trigger the hits from the keyboard.
    When comparing the hits to the original, in notice a lot of attack transients on the very start of those really punchy bassdrums were missing on the BB.
    (BB Compressor set to off, of cause. Sample level around -3dB, adsr 0/0/100/0, Firmware 1.3)
    Checking the set slice markers, i noticed they were all bit into the attack of the wave.
    No problem, since manual adjusting by split/join is ok for me (although adjusting the nearest split-point with an encoder would be welcome).
    But what i noticed is that i have to put the markers really far in front of the visual beginning of the wave to get those transients back (about half of the screen when fully zoomed in)
    I haven't tested if this also adds latency to the triggering of the sounds.
    So i am bit worried about what causes this to happen.

I only noticed this with the slice markers, using normal sample mode and samplestart marker, i can set it precisely to the visual start of the wave and get all transients.

Wow interesting pick up, curious to see how this develops

Comment

Aaron : Can you have a look at this, or am I doing something wrong ?

Comment

The slicer uses a tiny fade in (5ms) to avoid clicks. Does this explain what you are seeing and hearing?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          The slicer uses a tiny fade in (5ms) to avoid clicks. Does this explain what you are seeing and hearing?
          Yep, this could be it. 5ms can cut a lot on a drum sample.
          For the usual cutted loop this is nice to have, and i haven't noticed.
          So could it be made optional? Or maybe configurable (per pad) (1-10 ms ?) ? I see a bit of overlap with the ADSR attack setting.

Comment

Zapman I have the jd-xi too. This little synth survived my last sold out and i will keep him.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              Hi,
              Glad to know what is going on with this, it was driving me slightly nuts, I also thought the sound of the BB was really soft/broken and not punchy at all, now it makes sense.
              Can this be made optional please as were going to lose the attack part of our percussion/ drums sounds otherwise, the only workaround currently is to attempt to slice across all sounds in a kit 5ms before the sounds and then offset all the note onsets on the sequencer -5ms, which stops it all being fun
              Last edited by simon harris; 10-31-2019, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X