Samples and sample pads are impossible to identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samples and sample pads are impossible to identify

If you buy some samples there's a very high chance that they are named like this:

walt_expelectronic_126_hectic.wav
    If samples like above are loaded into the blackbox, it looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sample_grid_fkup.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	8154

It is hard or even impossible to tell which sample is on which pad without hearing or at least looking at the waveform.

Even when loading the samples it is very hard to read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sample_load_fkup.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	8155

A user is forced to rename the files before transferring it to the blackbox to identify them on the screen. But renaming the files so that one can make sense out of the first 8 letters makes it hard to associate them with the library on the PC again.

Please make this more accessible. At least, allow the users to give a name to a pad which is displayed on the grid. Also consider an option for a smaller scale for the fonts. The letters on the physical buttons are smaller than the one on the screen and are still very readable.

For the sample browser, I think there's no alternative to a smaller font. Scrolling on the touchscreen for the name might be ok for looking up some samples but this doesn't work well when browsing hundreds of samples.

Please no smaller fonts. You can place your samples in sub folders and rename them, that should help shorten the names. Naming pads would be really nice though, but I think that was already requested.

Comment

• Klaustrophil
      Klaustrophil commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't go much smaller either but at least 2-4 more letters on a pad should be possible without any negative impact. I don't talk about fitting 20 letters on a pad.

I've heard Arron explain the aesthetic choice for the screens and love his reasons. I also get not wanting to go smaller with the font. But is there an option that would be in settings to make the font smaller or choose a different one? I too struggle with the 8 character restriction on pads.

Also, a Copy/Paste option in the file naming menu would be awesome. I do loads of takes and it's very cumbersome to rename the files. Perhaps I'm only one of a few people this happens to?

Comment

Originally posted by Klaustrophil View Post
      allow the users to give a name to a pad which is displayed on the grid.
      this would be perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Quasimonastic View Post
        I also get not wanting to go smaller with the font. But is there an option that would be in settings to make the font smaller or choose a different one? I too struggle with the 8 character restriction on pads.
        I owned the Akai Force and know exactly how shitty small fonts on the interface can be. But there's plenty of room for optimization on the blackbox.

Originally posted by Quasimonastic View Post
        aesthetic choice
        TBH I can't spot any aesthetics in the current UI. It's barely functional but nothing more. :/

Comment

Working...
        X