No announcement yet.

review the firmware updating workflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• review the firmware updating workflow?

Updating the firmware on blackbox is very hard for me. I did manage to update to 1.4.0, then I decided to skip 1.4.2 because it had taken me so much time initially.
    Now I want to update to 1.5.1 and after an hour of formatting SD cards, switching between them, trying to unzip in different OSs to see if that makes a difference, I don't know what else to do. Blackbox keeps ignoring the .BIN file when I press back and info on startup.
    Could there be some kind of different workflow for this? anything really that could provide some pointers (that the BIN file is corrupt, that the SD card needs to be in a different format, etc)
    thanks,
    any additional help will be appreciated

I really appreciate that the update procedure only requires copying a file onto the SD card, so I hope that doesn't change at least.

I'm a Linux user, so all of my gear that requires special apps (always Windows/Mac only) to update are a huge pain in the ass.

Comment

• Klaustrophil
      Klaustrophil commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel you so much fellow tuxer!

• ten_four
      ten_four commented
      Editing a comment
      This, exactly.

I use a 256gb sd card and have a below average laptop. Formatting the card take mere minutes, not an hour. The process to update the firmware is simple and has never failed to work through 4 updates so far.
    Logic would dictate that user error or faulty user equipment would be to blame. After those avenues have been disproven, then the BB should be sent in for diagnosis.
    Read these forums for a while and tracking problems, the main causes are usually user error first, faulty/counterfeit SD cards second, with few if any actual faulty BlackBox units.
    Good luck and I hope you get it all sorted out soon, I also agree that no change is needed to the firmware updating process.

Comment

Originally posted by fotism View Post
      Updating the firmware on blackbox is very hard for me. I did manage to update to 1.4.0, then I decided to skip 1.4.2 because it had taken me so much time initially.
      Now I want to update to 1.5.1 and after an hour of formatting SD cards, switching between them, trying to unzip in different OSs to see if that makes a difference, I don't know what else to do. Blackbox keeps ignoring the .BIN file when I press back and info on startup.
      Could there be some kind of different workflow for this? anything really that could provide some pointers (that the BIN file is corrupt, that the SD card needs to be in a different format, etc)
      thanks,
      any additional help will be appreciated
      HI

Sorry to hear you are having trouble updating the firmware. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
      1. make sure you use an appropriately formatted microSD card. exFAT is preferred for all cards over 32GB. FAT or FAT 32 for smaller cards.
      2. make sure the application doing the formatting is reliable. I love my Mac though I can confirm that Apple's Disk Utility does not do a good job of formatting for exFAT (in my experience).

3. make sure you pay close attention to the actual .BIN filename. Some browsers will unzip for you directly after downloading. This will usually result in something like BLACKBOX.BIN, BLACKBOX2.bin, etc. Blackbox will not read the .BIN files with additional characters. The file must be "BLACKBOX.BIN"

Double-check the steps from this post: https://forum.1010music.com/forum/ta...re-on-blackbox to be sure you are following the correct workflow.

Good Luck. As always, let me know if you continue to have trouble and I will do my very best to help you.

Steve

Comment

Strange, it hasn’t been very easy for me to make the firmware upgrades.

The 3 steps described by Steve are definitely to follow. Also check if your system doesn't try to unzip the .bin file too, resulting maybe in a corrupt file the BB then can't read.

I had similar strange issue of unit ignoring new firmware with an MC-101 which uses similar process, and the issue at the end was the SDcard which was a quite old one and probably problematic.

Comment

Maybe the blackbox firmware format could be enhanced by adding an embedded checksum for integrity checks before upgrade. This would eliminate the the ZIP archive as a possible source of failure. I think ~600kb for the upgrade file doesn't hurt the traffic and there's the possibility to compress the data via HTTP anyway. At least this are the only reasons I could imagine why the upgrade is in a ZIP file. Or is it just because the expected file name is not flexible enough for versioning?

Comment

• underwood
            underwood commented
            Editing a comment
            The ZIP-Format adds checksum and integrity checks to the zipped files. So it is the best way the ensure that the downloaded bin has no errors. Users that can't unzip a file aren't able to use a checksum/integrity check on the downloaded bin either.

Hi,
          thanks for the replies.
          Just to give an update, I did manage to get it to work, the issue seemed to be the timing of pressing the two buttons on startup.
          So arguably, in my case, the issue can be redefined to "accessing the upgrade menu"
          What I would have expected would be a menu that can be easily accessed regardless if there is a an upgrade file or not.
          Having a command available to manually run the upgrade process would be nice since this could then provide feedback in case of errors ("no upgrade file found", etc).
          just an idea, but it could be something that could help users narrow down potential issues.
          thanks

Comment

Congrats on figuring it out. As I said, it almost always boils down to user error, as in your mis-timing of holding the buttons. Now that you have experienced what to do to make it work, you will be able to do it simply, every time moving forward. Good luck and good health.

Comment

The truth is that sometimes I feel the need for a third arm in order to accomplish the procedure. So the idea of having a simpler (one button + power-on) workflow but with confirmation menu in order to avoid launching the procedure accidentally does make sense.

I think the SETTINGS button + power-on would make sense.

Comment

We agree that holding two buttons is awkward. Some of our future products will do it differently.

Comment

• underwood
                  underwood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hope you still support the blackbox with updates and enhancements.

Future products ! Can’t wait

Comment

Working...
                X