record 3 bar clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• record 3 bar clips

Hi, in the sample record page I'd like to be able to record 3 bar clips, not just 2/4//8/16 etc. It's not hard to create a 3 bar sequence with the sequencer, or set a clip to have 12 beats - so other parts of the blackbox support it. but I can't seem to create an exactly 3 bar sample.

my suggestion is either change the 2/4/8/16 length setting to allow any number of bars, -or- change the record quantize option to quantize stopping recording in addition to starting, allowing any precise length

or is there actually a way I'm missing?
    Thanks!
    -Rich

Currently, syncing follows the "power of 2" rule.

Comment

• RMG___
      RMG___ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve, I wonder if there's any chance you think I'm asking for something different than I meant? I just want it to count 3 bars then stop recording, which will then let me use the sample as a clip set to 12 beats- I'm still talking about simple 4/4 rhythm, nothing unusual. I don't think that goes against the function of the box?

• Steve J
      Steve J commented
      Editing a comment
      It is connected to the underlying conditions that the blackbox assumes about syncing Clips. One of those is that your Clip is in 4/4.

Hi Steve -

Do you think that customer happiness would be improved by the ability to record clips of arbitrary length instead of imposing a limitation because the Blackbox can't do simple math?

Comment

• Steve J
      Steve J commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Fred - I do my best to answer questions and help our users. If you have an issue with me, please contact me directly and I'd be happy to discuss with you.

Fred, why the snarky attitude? I think 1010music have already shown that criticism is fine and everything can be discussed. No need to ruin good and productive conversation with sarcasm. And it most definitely won’t help you get what you want.

Comment

Being able to record quantized sample loops of arbitrary length is not an unreasonable expectation for what 1010music describes on this site as "a next-generation sampling studio".

Hardware & computer-based sequencers have been able to record & playback sequences of an arbitrary number of bars on any track & playback multiple tracks having different time signatures or comprising different numbers of bars simultaneously since the 80s.

Words have meaning. Forums are for feedback. I paid for a Blackbox. It has a lot of limitations.

The people who administer these forums never seem to directly address these limitations. They say "syncing follows the "power of 2" rule" instead of explaining why the Blackbox can't count to 3 or why recording loops of arbitrary length is not a feature. Instead of addressing the playback limitations of the Blackbox, 1010music has dedicated a "snarky" section of the user manual to tell customers which released features they should not use.

This all comes across to me as a dereliction of responsibility. I am not so deluded by what the Blackbox does well to be unaware of its flaws as many people on these forums seem to be. Someone who claims to be a "Customer Happiness Enforcer" should address issues directly when they are raised.

Last edited by Fred Johnsen; 05-22-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Fred,

You absolutely can record a precisely 3 bar loop. Here's how:
        1) Set the Rec Quant to 1 bar
        2) Set the Length to custom
        3) Start recording. When the length gets into the third bar, press record again (don't touch stop). The quantization will stop the recording at the end of the bar.

To synchronize this loop, you will need to manually set the beat count to 12 since the automatic length detection will get it wrong.

Let me know if I am missing something.

Comment

• RMG___
          RMG___ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Aaron! I have only ever hit stop to stop sampling, never even crossed my mind if I hit record again it would give me a quantized end. great, thanks

Hi Aaron -

Does Steve not know that? Is there some reason he answered the question at the top of this thread the way he did? Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
        X