set recording bar length in steps of 1 bar instead of 2^n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set recording bar length in steps of 1 bar instead of 2^n

Recording clips which have a non-power 2^n bar length (eg 5 bars) requires custom bar length:

* Good luck with pressing the Rec button to end the recording at the right moment with the custom setting (EDIT) when your two hands are busy or when you need Threshold On. It takes some training, all of your attention and a bit of luck, (EDIT) that is without rec quant. Just a thought given blackbox firmware 2.0: maybe one can have a sustain pedal trigger Rec with custom rec length? If yes, how? Then this request would narrow down to Threshold On situations.

* The 2^n bar length is convenient, that is as long as your clips are either 1, 2, 4 or 16 bars (etc) long and as long as you don’t need any release phase for the sounds in the clips: abruptly cutting off a sustained piano does not sound very nice, while with dry synth sounds this setting may be more forgiving - it also depends on context in a song. A workaround involves triggering the clips via a sequence and to adapt the trigger mode of the clip to avoid the last bar from being played in case you wish to loop it. This workaround unfortunately hampers spontaneity.

* beat-grid snapping for trimming, if it existed, would probably allow to adjust such custom recordings easily, however, that would probably not be relevant in live or session/rehearsal situations. Refer to my link here below for a workaround absent beat grid snapping.

Therefore, allowing to set recording bar length in steps of 1 bar instead of the current 2^n bars would make recording of such clips far less tedious and much faster. Maybe it does not make sense to apply the 1-step logic beyond the first 32 bars.

EDIT: I think this feature request is relevant for live instrument looping or performance in particular. Rec quant works nicely for situations where you can afford a free hand for the blackbox.
    Georges
    Last edited by Georges; 10-17-2021, 07:35 AM.

I have a similar issue with the Sequencer. the mental gymnastic needed to convert a number of bars at a give resolution is a bit annoying, specially if you want to have multiple sequences of the same length but with different resolutions: 4 bars Chord progression at a 1/4th resolution + 4 bar Bassline at a 1/16th resolution, how quickly can you convert to the number of steps needed in each case?

As for the looper problem above, maybe a solution is to have the rcording length match the current Sequence length? AFAIK there is always an active sequence, and it makes a lot of sense to match your record duration to that.

Comment

+1 for this.

I can record clips of any bar length into ableton, then export them for the BB. They will playback and loop fine on the BB as long as I enter the correct beat count.

But I can't find a way to record a clip or sample directly into the BB unless it is 2,4,8,16,32,64 or 128 bars exactly.

Comment

• Georges
      Georges
      Georges commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a workaround to this, that is if you are willing to sacrifice the threshold feature: you can set rec quant to one bar or one 1/4. When you push stop, it will effectively stop at the next bar or quarter.

• Georges
      Georges
      Georges commented
      Editing a comment
      correction to my previous post: for this to actually work you have to push Rec and not Stop. Stop ends the clock and thus any hope for a quantised ending of the recording.

Sounds good to me.

Comment

Just adding a cross-reference to another post which contains a (tedious) workaround to the above feature request as well as some additional explanations on the potential use cases: https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...7775#post27775

Comment

• Georges
        Georges
        Georges commented
        Editing a comment
        The cross-referenced workaround only makes sense if you cannot end the recording in time due to your two hands being busy elsewhere, or if you need Threshold On.
    Working...
    X