Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klaustrophil
    replied
    The current blackbox hardware is perfectly fine. If you make it any bigger, it would have to compete with a MPC live and such. There's still a vast amount of potential in the software.

Leave a comment:

• jayneural
    replied
    And a built-in but user-replaceable battery !

though don’t make it bigger than two BlackBox. It has to be train/flight/travel compliant in terms of size.

Leave a comment:

• mthertlein
    replied
    To clarify: I didn't suggest to replace the BB but have an XL version as an option.

Leave a comment:

• mthertlein
    replied
    Originally posted by pieter3d View Post
    The screen is fine for me.
    If you want rubber pads, there are plenty cheap midi controllers, same for assignable rotary controllers (although some more midi CC destinations would be nice).
    If you want a dedicated on/off switch, just plug it into a power strip.
    1/4 inch jacks would require the unit to be much larger, it works fine as is with some adapter cables.
    Master volume would be nice, but a software option (like the headphone volume) could easily fix this for me.
    Everybody has a power bank these days. Having a battery in the unit would be considerably more expensive, make it bigger and heavier. Replacing it would also be more expensive than replacing a power bank. No thanks.
    More DSP would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's significant progress to be made by optimizing the current firmware.

All in all, I think there are still too many things to improve about the current BB to consider a second version.
    Yes. It is true. It is small and powerful right now. But there is that moment, when you start adding external controllers/keyborads/pads power supplies, etc... Then it starts getting cluttery. I think the BB already reaches into the MPC/Elektron territory with its capabilites and outperform some of them already with streaming and song mode etc. For me it is just small a step away from replacing them for good.

Leave a comment:

• pieter3d
    replied
    The screen is fine for me.
    If you want rubber pads, there are plenty cheap midi controllers, same for assignable rotary controllers (although some more midi CC destinations would be nice).
    If you want a dedicated on/off switch, just plug it into a power strip.
    1/4 inch jacks would require the unit to be much larger, it works fine as is with some adapter cables.
    Master volume would be nice, but a software option (like the headphone volume) could easily fix this for me.
    Everybody has a power bank these days. Having a battery in the unit would be considerably more expensive, make it bigger and heavier. Replacing it would also be more expensive than replacing a power bank. No thanks.
    More DSP would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's significant progress to be made by optimizing the current firmware.

All in all, I think there are still too many things to improve about the current BB to consider a second version.

Leave a comment:

• LukeDix
    replied
    It’s great to hear everyone’s suggestions. My personal thoughts on this are that the above would turn the BB in to an MPC and part of the beauty of the black box (for me anyway) is its simplicity and small compact size. It’s so powerful for such a small unit.
    Adding additional knobs and features would increase size and complexity and cost, and I think there are already a lot of those things out there already.
    not dismissing your view just adding mine to the discussion, interesting to see others views.

Leave a comment:

• mthertlein
    started a topic Blackbox MK2 or XL

Blackbox MK2 or XL

Just in case it would ever happen... on the hardware side of things... worth a higher price for sure:
    1. Bigger higher res OLED screen
    2. 4 X 8 rubber pads, velocity and pressure sensing with custom color LED's (Novation Circuit style)
    3. Assignable rotary encoders
    4. Dedicated ON/OFF switch
    5. 1/4 inch jack for in's, out's and headphone
    6. Master volume knob
    7. Internal replaceable batteries (High amp 18650's like the vapors and Tesla cars use)
    8. ...and more DSP power of course
    On the OS side:
    1. Framework for user code, for example a pure data integration for:
      1. FX algorythms
      2. Synth engines
    ...that would be a huge stand out feature. And would make it a real seller... Of course with resource restrictions and such....

All that could be a product alongside the current blackbox and would not compete, since it is the "XL" version...

I would definitely pay more for that.

Thanks.
Working...
X