X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoParades
    replied
    Originally posted by Villainmedia View Post
    Could you guys maybe do the musical math programming so that we can have a metronome sound in time with the various time signatures that’s the money right there! That would be awesome
    Agreed. being able to kludge the settings to make non-4/4 signatures work is workable, but if I want to use the metronome, it doesn't give any useful feedback currently. I can't imagine that making the metronome be assigned to even a handful more signatures would be confusing on the UI side. I also understand that anything that deviates from 4/4 opens up a serious rabbit hole, where everyone will be screaming "BUT WHAT ABOUT ME? I WORK IN 127/82 EXCLUSIVELY, WHY AM I EXCLUDED?" but I feel like including the "standard" alternate options you see in other similar hardware (or even DAWs for that matter) would please the masses and irk only a handful.

Leave a comment:

• Villainmedia
    replied
    Could you guys maybe do the musical math programming so that we can have a metronome sound in time with the various time signatures that’s the money right there! That would be awesome

Leave a comment:

• industrialist
    replied
    Alright... paint me confused. I'm coming back into electronic music after a 16 year break and reading through the whole thing I'm super puzzled at the request. I also just unboxed my blackbox so I'm also a total n00b here.

If the sequencer can already be set to 6/8 for example, it sounds like you just record to the pad and then trigger on the 1.

Leave a comment:

• pro424
    replied
    +1 for this. Just started working with clips and would love some non 4/4 signatures.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    It is all musical math, really! The key is the relationship between the Step Len and Step Count parameters. Some combinations are listed below and you can see the pattern pretty easily. The trick is Quant Size. Since the clock and metronome are locked in 4/4, you cannot use 1, 2, 4, or 8 bar settings - because those live only in 4/4. So in 7/8 time signature, you set the Quant Size to 1/8. This will ensure the sequence will start/stop on a 1/8th subdivision. The tricky part now is triggering them in time. If you have a 1/8 Quant Size it means your window for triggering is now 1/8th. Still, it is doable. You mostly want the Quant Size to match the bottom number of the time signature though you can go smaller. Just not larger.

Sequencing polyrhythms and odd time signatures can be fun. Add to this the new probability and off-grid modes and you can make some intricate patterns. Clips are still tied to the underlying clocking.

Time Signature Step Len Step Count
    5/4 1/4 5
    1/8 10
    1/16 20
    1/32 40
    1/64 80
    4/4 1/4 4
    1/8 8
    1/16 16
    1/32 32
    1/64 64
    3/4 1/4 3
    1/8 6
    1/16 12
    1/32 24
    1/64 48
    7/8 1/8 7
    1/16 14
    1/32 28
    1/64 56
    5/8 1/8 5
    1/16 10
    1/32 20
    1/64 40
    6/8 1/8 6
    1/16 12
    1/32 24
    1/64 48

Leave a comment:

• bassicks
    replied
    +1 to the topic overall.

To be more precise, the hard limitations I bumped into so far (disclaimer: still on 1.6.5 firmware,but I don't think any of that was changed in 1.7.x):
    - Sample (clip) recording: increments in bars 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128; so, with the bar default 4/4 length, no maths (which i'm used to doing) can alleviate that; I think the simpliest way to solve it is to increment 1-2-3-4-5-etc bars
    - Metronome which is stuck in 4/4 is indeed distracting if you're trying to play in odd meters

The ways it can be handled in Seq / Songs (some maths again) is bearable, but still a proper odd meter support would be most welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Georges
    commented on 's reply
    @Steve this feature request is indeed about having those parameters for audio recordings.

Plus, with song mode stubbornly stuck at 4/4, the sequencer’s ability to handle odd time is unfortunately not useful for sketching a song within blackbox.

• bjiso11
    replied
    Steve Could you give me a quick breakdown on the math of how Step Len, Step Count, and Quant Size affects the meter?

I’ve only spent a short time messing around with that and know I could go through all options to learn how it all relates.

But if there’s an easy way to explain it I’d appreciate it.

Also with this being a possibility on sequence, would it be possible to make the metronome have a selectable meter to help people record in a few weird meters.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    Sequencer. Those parameters do not exist for the audio recordings.

• softroom
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve View Post
    you can do this now. The trick is to make sure your Step Len, Step Count, and Quant Size settings jive. For instance, Step Len to 1/16, Count to 12, Quant Size to 1/4 for 3/4. Change count to 20 for 5/4. The important parameter is Quant Size.
    Just to clarify - are you talking about the sequencer or recording audio loops to the pads? It's the latter that I'm personally very keen to have. Myself, I don't use the sequencer or song mode but do make lots of long audio loops and one-shots.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    you can do this now. The trick is to make sure your Step Len, Step Count, and Quant Size settings jive. For instance, Step Len to 1/16, Count to 12, Quant Size to 1/4 for 3/4. Change count to 20 for 5/4. The important parameter is Quant Size.

Leave a comment:

• flitzmaster
    replied
    +1 for 3/4 and 5/4 time signatures

Leave a comment:

• valeriodaniele
    replied
    +1 for different from 4/4 time signatures !

Leave a comment:

• byrdinbbylon
    replied
    I agree with this. I was just recording an entire guitar song into a sample pad so that I could practice improvising over it, and the song was 6/8. While I could ignore which 'measure' I was on due to it being a sample and not a clip, set to a custom length, hearing the metronome accent on the 1 of each 4/4 measure was something I had to fight through. It would be optimal to be able to set a beat per measure value and have the metronome act accordingly, or as a workaround until then, at least have it to where we can turn off the accent of the metronome so I can't hear where a measure begins.

Leave a comment:

• spec_mtz
    replied
    +1 on non 4/4 time signatures for recording clips

Leave a comment:

Working...
X