Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your guess for the next Blackbox firmware ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your guess for the next Blackbox firmware ?

Not sure if next 1.x firmware release is around the corner, but let’s try to guess what’s coming into this release.

Here are the feature requests I’ve see the most in the forums, but I might have missed some :

1. More fx / fx slots & resonant filter
    2. Improved mixer with EQ
    3. More than 16 pads
    4. Looper/Loop recorder workflow with pedal support
    5. Automation and/or LFO modulation
    6. Wave table synth engine
    7. Stem/MIDI song export
    8. USB device port File/Audio/MIDI I/O
    9. Improved UI/Usability (note editor, sample editor, shortcuts etc...)
    10. Song mode revamp
    0. No features : just a major stability focused release.

Let’s be reasonable and choose only one guess and hence expectation (I intentionally grouped some the suggestions in the same type of functionality). You can also suggest one not mentioned here.
    Last edited by jayneural; 09-12-2020, 09:47 PM.

Just a great functional sequencer for me! and maybe an LFO or 2!

Comment

• jayneural
      jayneural commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you please elaborate on the « functional sequencer » ? You mean better usability note editing screen ? Which would fit in digestion 9.

• lozzie
      lozzie commented
      Editing a comment
      The ability to at least edit velocity in the sequencer.

Maybe an easier question is: what can bitbox and toolbox do right now that blackbox can’t?

Comment

• jayneural
      jayneural commented
      Editing a comment
      Is indeed often a good guess on what’s next about Blackbox

Originally posted by jayneural View Post

3. More than 16 pads
    What would this look like?
    I'm in favor of more slots, to be sure - but if the pads get any smaller, I'm going to be in trouble trying to operate them from the touch screen with my sausage fingers!

Comment

• jayneural
      jayneural commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably this should be organized as layers.

Number 7 would be a game changer for me

Comment

• jayneural
      jayneural commented
      Editing a comment
      for me too ! and no concerns about CPU on this one.

JAYNEURAL, I guess I’m thinking along the lines of a DAW or MPC workflow, so yes better note editing, longer sequences, velocity editing, no quantise but also ‘humanise’ quantise, a swing that works!

Comment

A improved sequencer with scales or at least velocity editing would be great. But maybe some of the features from the bitbox such as multisampling for different velocities support, some kind of wavetable mode, using the audio input as cv modulation source or even internal routing of the pads as modulation sources would be awesome (not sure if possible)

Comment

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        Isn’t the multi-sample already multi-velocity on the BB ?

• jpablo91
        jpablo91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it?, I thought that you can multisample different velocities, but not load it on the pads. I might have missed that feature update then.

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        It is for sure available. The blackbox has a limit of 64 wav per pad or 80 per preset - whichever comes first. And it is 100% possible to create a multisample much larger than the blackbox can load.

Originally posted by Georges View Post
      Maybe an easier question is: what can bitbox and toolbox do right now that blackbox can’t?
      Get dumped for a newer module with a faster CPU ?

Comment

• Georges
        Georges commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe the performance delta is overrated - the blackbox is only 1.5 years old. Furthermore, releasing new hardware comes with its own risks.

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        Quite early for a new model, but probably one day a Pro/Live version with pads on the right and more Audio I/O, full sized MIDI and more CPU headroom would definitely be cool !

Still hoping for LFOs/automation.
      Or recording and playback of CCs. (Motion sequencing or parameter locks)

Comment

• shankiphonic
        shankiphonic commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 for LFOs

• Jack Pimiento
        Jack Pimiento commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 for LFOs
        Velocity editing in the sequencer would also be welcome.

Add sample filename text scrolling to see entire sample details like BPM and KEY which are usually at the end of purchased melodic loops. Reasonable and simple request.

Comment

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        so choice 9

2. An EQ in the mixer would be a good thing

Comment

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        yes, and resonant filter

4...7 & 8 would be nice.

Comment

Fx - Whoever agrees and votes

Comment

• jayneural
          jayneural commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 for sure Another couple of fx slots would be cool too but not sure the hardware can take this.
          Otherwise if they can't, they can just as FX choices on the bottom and put the filter and resonance on the top of screen and top rotaries.

all theses things would be great, but most of them would kill the cpu, which is the weakest part IMHO

i think this is the real priority = optimised workflow

Comment

• jayneural
          jayneural commented
          Editing a comment
          7, 9, 10 shouldn't be a problem in terms of CPU resources.
          1. should be doable, at least for adding FX choices (maybe not adding slots).

Originally posted by jayneural View Post
        Not sure if next 1.x firmware release is around the corner, but let’s try to guess what’s coming into this release.

Here are the feature requests I’ve see the most in the forums, but I might have missed some :

1. More fx / fx slots & resonant filter
        2. Improved mixer with EQ
        3. More than 16 pads
        4. Looper/Loop recorder workflow with pedal support
        5. Automation and/or LFO modulation
        6. Wave table synth engine
        7. Stem/MIDI song export
        8. USB device port File/Audio/MIDI I/O
        10. Song mode revamp
        0. No features : just a major stability focused release.

Let’s be reasonable and choose only one guess and hence expectation (I intentionally grouped some the suggestions in the same type of functionality). You can also suggest one not mentioned here.
        - About fx and mixing I would like to see a simple sidechain compressor on each channel, just selecting a source or none

- About getting more than 16 pads I think the way to go is to get more banks, 2 o 4 banks, if that works then we can get layering on each sample too

- Sequencer wise I think a probabilty based sequencer or adding some modulation over some params.

- A better export functionality, stems or/and midi stems from song mode

- Better undo functionality when recording sequences, I can remove by mistake a magically captured moment many times a session

Im new to the blackbox and get it paired with an irig pads since day 1, awesome job

Comment

• Georges
          Georges commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure whether stem export is ever going to see the light in the blackbox. In this video, stem export is highlighted as one of the features of the bluebox: https://forum.1010music.com/forum/ge...he-new-bluebox

• jayneural
          jayneural commented
          Editing a comment
          What would be really nice would be being able to export on the Blackbox and then transfer the project to the Bluebox and continue adding tracks from there. Would be like an alternative to bringing the stems to your DAW.
          But for this to come it’s a bit early as even the Bluebox would need to support more than the currently announced 12 tracks per project.
      Working...
      X