Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your guess for the next Blackbox firmware ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually, I want a songwriting mode where i just push a button and bb outputs the complete song with separate stems, obviously each time a multi million euro hit :-)

Comment

• jayneural
      jayneural commented
      Editing a comment
      HitBox ! That’s how they would call it

overhauled UI
    better utilization of encoders
    add overdub to the looper
    LFO’s and midi mappable everything (please!!!)

Comment

I think the workflow is just about as good as you could hope for, though I'd really like to see a mixer w/ levels.

Unless I'm missing something, the is no way to see if any sample is crossing into the red zone, during playback.

Comment

Wow I realize this thread has been quite inspiring for many.

i don’t know about you but I’m getting really eager to see what’s actually going to come out from next firmware.

When looking at the other 1010music devices firmware releases history, we could imagine we are in the verge of a v2.0 release as previous boxes typically went v2 after release 1.5 or v3 after 2.4. Guess what ? It means my expectations have risen to 3 or 4 major features

Also considering the release of the Bluebox and the fact that it happens that features from newer boxes are implemented on previous products, I would tend to bet on these features for the next release :

- new mixer view with some EQ and I would expect per pad assignable compressor which would allow side-chaining when used along with Bluebox

- stem export to wav + project format compatible with the Bluebox (for full mix down on Bluebox rather than daw ?

- new song mode allowing at the occasion the implementation of the stem export UI

- Automation and/or LFOs

And I really hope for some FX from the fx box, unless it’s decided for that these would rather be implemented on the Bluebox as per more appropriate hardware resources headroom.

I also bet on these as most likely be it directly with v2 or 2.x family releases because most of these are « ecosystem type » paradigm. They tend to have you wanting the Bluebox as well

Comment

5) would be cool

9) UI is great, but some transpose option would be nice in the seqs, velocity editing

0) performance tweaks to run out of computing power less frequently.

Thank for all the work on the Blackbox!

Beaes

Comment

jayneural;n17588
            5. Automation and/or LFO modulation
            A MIDI CC recorder would be simpler and more efficient to implement, and would leave more resources for other computational tasks, for the next and future firmware releases. Thus, I'd rather not see anything more complicated than that, but record and replay of the MIDI CC's would be definitely a welcome feature. It's a kind of model of automation that fits to the philosophy of this device, similarly as there is a USB host implementation in the hardware/firmware, instead of having physical pads.

Also, I'd be conservative with the effects. Personally, I just use a phone with an external audio interface as a multi-effect and resample. I use the devices reverb and delay only to define space in the mix.

If I hit to the roof with this, then it's a sign for me to move to add production dust in a DAW, as Blackbox isn't one and hopefully never will be.

Comment

Just an update to this thread with remaining awaited features as we are now in v2 branch :

1. Song mode revamp
              2. Stem/MIDI song export
              3. More fx (including side-chaining) / fx slots & resonant filter
              4. Improved mixer with side-chaining compressor & EQ per pad
              5. Looper/Loop recorder workflow with pedal support
              6. Wave table OSC as choice instead of sample
              7. More than 16 pads
              8. Improved UI/Usability (note editor, sample editor, shortcuts etc...)
              9. USB device port File/Audio/MIDI I/O support

Just 9 features to go I've reordered to what I believe would be the priority (though I realize it wouldn't be the same priority for everyone). Also reformulated a few to be more precise.

Links to threads I had started specifically covering and explaining further some of the features requested in the above list :

- Song mode revamp + stem export : https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...d-audio-export

- Punh-in FX : https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...implementation

Comment

• jayneural
                jayneural commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve, didn't realize this, gotta check. Pedal support ? MIDI pedal ?

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                check 2.0 features. MIDI Rec can be found in TOOLS > REC settings. Check the release notes for the specific MIDI commands.

• jayneural
                jayneural commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice ! will check for sure ! Was so happy for the LFO that I missed this

So... 8 to go ! Stem expooort !!!!!! FX !!! Side-chaining !!!

Would be nice to eliminate the “activate a pad before recording a sequence” requirement!

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                no need to deal with Pads if you record into a MIDI sequence.

Steve am I misunderstanding this? I thought that in order to record a MIDI sequence I must select a muted pad (so it doesn’t play) with a wave file attached.

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                That is correct. (this is the wrong thread for this question, FYI).

No stem export on the Blackbox is stunning. I can't figure out why this feature does not exist. Competitive samplers with this feature:

MPC Live/One/X
              Dirtywave M8
              Pioneer Sp16
              Deluge

I could go on for a while but you all get the point. Can someone explain why after 2+ years of people requesting this feature it still has not been implemented? I can only think it is because 1010 wants us to buy a Bluebox too, but I truly hope that is not the case.

Comment

• jayneural
                jayneural commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe it is adjacent to a song mode revamp as the stems exports typically comes after you completely arranged the full song on the unit itself.

Right now with the current song mode it is quite difficult to make an acceptable arrangement other than a preparation of sections/scenes for live performance. At least you have to be pretty patient if you really want to do that as everything is based in the recording of your sections, you cannot do manual editing or correcting what was recorded. So I believe either those two enhancements will come together or they will have to improve the song mode before even implementing stem export.

The other direction they could take would be to accept that we won’t arrange our tracks in the unit and go with a sort of « perfect loop export ». We would then import the loops in our DAW and do all the arrangement there. But that would mean there isn’t really a point of having a full UI page with dedicated button for song mode to just make demos for lives. They would have called it LIVE mode and not SONG mode if that was really the direction they wanted to take.

Yeah I'm stoked for the next update. There's what I want, and then there's what's been requested most often (unfortunately, the two don't always line up!)

But I suspect we'll see
              1) new effects
              2) upgraded song mode

Those are hands down the two most popular requests I've been seeing since the last update. As for what they'll do with song mode I have NO idea, but I'm excited to see. I personally think (and I may be a bit biased) that one essential upgrade to song mode is my suggestion that song sections respond to program changes, instead of presets responding to program changes. It would make program changes a lot more powerful in the context of the blackbox, in my opinion.

3) maybe more pads as well? I'm happy with sixteen, but it definitely is a bit constrained compared to competition, and I've seen a lot of people asking for it. double pressing pads doesn't do anything yet, maybe now it could take you to a second bank? I wouldn't complain about 32 pads!

Comment

As this thread is still alive, I’ve updated my original post and kept only remaining requested features + added a few.

Comment

What is intended by asking “what is your guess” in the title of this thread? I’m trying to understand why this thread is being updated and promoted. Is the thread trying to rally people around a specific set of features for the next firmware?

Comment

• jayneural
                    jayneural commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The initial goal of the thread was to guess what's coming on v2.0. As I saw it kept alive even after the release, I updated it with the remaining requests and those suggested by others.

There is obviously no intention to mislead anyone (can't change the title unfortunately so that may be a bit misleading). Anyway, if I see it doesn't go anywhere at some point, I will just stop updating and let it die. For now I can update with latest comments.

Will also remove the numbers in front as there are requests coming in and getting our, so it's wasn't a very good idea to reference requests with numbers.

• -thus-
                    -thus- commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for clarifying and for taking the time to create a more complete list — I appreciate your efforts. Please add legato under input methods, which is separate from (but often used in conjunction with) portamento. Legato determines what happens when you press a second note while still holding the first note.

• jayneural
                    jayneural commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had forgotten legato indeed, just added

- led response for sequences
                  - midi CC's for eq
                  - compressor treshold and ratio
                  - 32 sequences
                  - soft/on and off for the machine

Comment

• jayneural
                    jayneural commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks, I added, just a question about one of your requests : what do you mean by led response for sequence ?

• Andrie
                    Andrie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    led response for sequences: there is no led feedback for sequences: iow when u trigger a sequence with an external midi controller that has LEd's:
                    on and off won't be sent back tot the controller LED.

It does do this with the sample sloits

• jayneural
                    jayneural commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ok got it thanks (added it)
                Working...
                X