MIDI channels for external synths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI channels for external synths

It Would be nice to be able to set up a channel to record midi notes from keyboard to trigger external gear. At the moment the only way I can see of doing this is recording midi notes on a sample channel, then removing the sample and and setting midi out to trigger a synth

What are you trying to do specifically? I am able to both play my synths through the Blackbox with a MIDI keyboard, as well as record musical data and then play it back via the sequences page. Loading a sample isn't necessary AFAIK.

Did you make sure to activate the MIDI output on the sequence info page and not just the pad? I was a bit stumped about making this work until I figured that part out.

Comment

Originally posted by particlesintowaves View Post
      What are you trying to do specifically? I am able to both play my synths through the Blackbox with a MIDI keyboard, as well as record musical data and then play it back via the sequences page. Loading a sample isn't necessary AFAIK.

Did you make sure to activate the MIDI output on the sequence info page and not just the pad? I was a bit stumped about making this work until I figured that part out.
      Hi

I want to record my midi notes while listening to the external audio coming from the synth. If I hit record to record the midi notes I just end up recording the external audio.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedGenetics View Post

Hi

I want to record my midi notes while listening to the external audio coming from the synth. If I hit record to record the midi notes I just end up recording the external audio.

cheers
        This should work. First, turn on record monitoring in the record screen (ON not AUTO) for the pad so you can hear the incoming synth via Blackbox output. Don't actually be on the pad record screen when you hit record or else you'll start sampling. Make sure your pad is set to receive on the MIDI channel of your controller, send on the MIDI channel of your external synth, and then record while in the main PADS, KEYS, or SEQS screens to record MIDI. To play it back your sequence must also be set to send on the same MIDI channel as your synth.

Comment

I think you can workaround the issue using an empty wav sample assigned to the pad you want to record to. Normally it should play / record only the MIDI notes then.
          I've suggested in another forum that they add a "MIDI only" entry on the sample browse menu or just a pad type parameter (MIDI+Audio/MIDI only) that would change the pad playback and recording behavior.

Comment

• particlesintowaves
            particlesintowaves commented
            Editing a comment
            I was able to record and playback MIDI without assigning a sample, on a blank pad.

Perfect - that’s a good work around

Comment

I don’t understand why this is so difficult, I just want to play some midi, when I’m happy record in

Comment

• particlesintowaves
              Editing a comment
              Did you try my suggestions above? What doesn’t work? I can record and playback MIDI on an external synth using an empty pad, and it can be monitored via the Blackbox

Hi Particle, I tried your suggestions, I can hear my hardware synth when I play my keyboard but no notes are being recorded in the sequence window!
            Last edited by TwistedGenetics; 10-20-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• jayneural
              jayneural commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes it needs at least an empty sample if you want to record other than using the note editor manually.

You can also record with a multi-sample then remove it after you finished recording the played notes.

I know it might look a bit counterintuitive. The reason for that is because the Blackbox is mainly meant to be a sampler rather than a multi-part sequencer, even if it happens to be very good at that too.

I’ve asked the 1010music teams to see if they can improve that somehow by selecting the type of pad in the pad info screen. After all the firmware could supply the “empty sample” of that makes the improvement easier to code.

Originally posted by TwistedGenetics View Post
            Hi Particle, I tried your suggestions, I can hear my hardware synth when I play my keyboard but no notes are being recorded in the sequence window!
            Well, it works for me, it sounds like you haven't configured it properly yet. Also I'm working on 1.6.5, not sure what you are using.

Comment

Lol ok literally now that I'm trying to record a video demo it's not working for me like it did earlier. Maybe there was something different I did, I'm not sure now

That being said, once I loaded a sample into the track I was able to record MIDI notes perfectly fine for playing back an external synth. You can set that pad's sample to zero volume (or just load a sample of silence) to avoid listening to that while you're playing and recording MIDI for your synth

Comment

I will add that a dedicated "MIDI mode" for Pads would indeed be helpful

Comment

A dedicated midi track would be cool along with.. Ableton export, sequence double feature, and the ability to load samples on to keys.. would stop me buying other gear

Comment

• particlesintowaves
                    Editing a comment
                    What do mean by load samples onto keys?

Load individual samples on to individual keys. You can slice drums to multiple keys on one pad etc but can’t build a preset with multiple samples on different keys on one pad.

Comment

• particlesintowaves
                    Editing a comment
                    In mean time you can play all 16 pads with a single keyboard, which would have the same effect, just not contained in a single pad.
                Working...
                X