Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy / Paste Sequences (speed up workflow!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy / Paste Sequences (speed up workflow!)

update: the feature exists. disregard.
    //
    As a Blackbox Rockstar,
    I want to be able to copy and paste sequences
    So that I can save time and eliminate rework to quickly and easily create sequence variations without having to create a 2nd sequence from scratch.

/
    DETAILS:
    When I'm sequencing midi out, I might want to have several sequences that follow the same chord progression.
    For example I might have one or more of the following:
    a) A polyphonic sequence for chords (or whatever happens when I run it through a monophonic patch)
    b) A mono line sequence just for bass
    c) melodic variation sequences.

Programming chords into a bb sequence is a fair amount of work.
    I'm getting faster, but it's still a lot of time.
    The efficiency of my workflow would be improved if I could make an initial chord pro sequence, then copy it to another sequence as needed, and then adjust it for purpose.

/
    NOTE:
    I know I've seen this request in wishlist posts that already exist. However, those are often lists themselves. I expect the messaging is stronger when a feature request post focuses on one topic, in detail.
    /

Thank you!
    Last edited by shankiphonic; 11-30-2020, 10:45 AM. Reason: noting that requested feature exists already.

You can copy seq's, but it is way to long to do.
    1- Tap the sequence you want to copy.
    2- push info
    3- tap edit and then copy
    4- go to the sequences page and choose an empty one.
    5- push info
    6- tap edit and then paste

And by doing this you copy the sequence with the sample associated in the previous seq. I still have not found a way to change the sample.
    I think with the seq in pad mode mode it is possible but not in key mode.
    Cheers
    I also asked for a simple way to copy the seq's like it is with the pads.

Comment

• shankiphonic
      shankiphonic commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Chris -
      There's clearly some back-end voodoo (for lack of a better term) in how pads get assigned to sequences.
      Either that or it's painfully obvious where the setting is to keep the seq notes, but change the pad, and we're missing it. :-/

Chris Moon thank you. thank you, thank you.

I can see why any difficulty with changing pads internally would be a hassle, if not defeat the entire purpose for the pads use case. I'll hack at that next time I sit down to work on something new.
    My focus, at the moment is playing external synths with these sequences, so this should give me exactly what I'm looking for... for now

Comment

Copy, cut and paste in the midi piano roll editor would make more sense.

Comment

totally agree, copy and pasting sequences and then assigning a different pad slot is a must for me. I only use one sequence slot per pad anyway for my style of playing so copy and paste of sequences is useless to me atm..

Comment

+1 definitely.

blackbox’ power is all about quick workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Painting Silence View Post
            totally agree, copy and pasting sequences and then assigning a different pad slot is a must for me. I only use one sequence slot per pad anyway for my style of playing so copy and paste of sequences is useless to me atm..
            you know you can paste sequences to other pads, right?
            the trick is to set the pad in the sequence before you paste or import.

Comment

Originally posted by shankiphonic View Post

you know you can paste sequences to other pads, right?
              the trick is to set the pad in the sequence before you paste or import.
              Hey there, I tried like you said but keep on having the same result: the sequence copies into another sequence slot but it keeps triggering the same pad no matter which sequence slot is chosen or which pad slot is selected beforehand. I am sure it must be possible somehow but I seem to not get it you sounded quite clear so I feel dumb asking you to explain again.. but could you explain again?

Comment

• shankiphonic
                shankiphonic commented
                Editing a comment
                added a video below that explains this. does this address what you're asking about?

Here's how to assign a new sequence to any pad.

Last edited by shankiphonic; 01-05-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Painting Silence
                Painting Silence commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey I am not afraid of it to say the least. Will have a look later if I can find corresponding lines in the XML but if it is that simple I really urge 1010 music to add this feature promptly.. pretty please

• da.vid
                da.vid commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi shankiphonic saw that you mention the issue actually in your video around 13:12 yourself. I guess for now the answer is, that it isn't possible, right? Am also missing this function quite a bit.

• shankiphonic
                shankiphonic commented
                Editing a comment
                if the feature to export midi is native, I haven't found it.
                I remember a few months ago, a forum member posted a link to an application they made for generating presets, (I think)?
                I looked briefly, but I can't find that post.
                The reason I mention it is because at that user learned how to interpret bb data files to perform "administrative tasks" outside of the blackbox.
                I examined some preset files from the PC, and iirc, they are just XML.
                Obviously, hand-mucking the preset data outside of the blackbox is not supported by 1010music.
                HOWEVER - XML isn't really rocket science once you get familiar with it. It's designed to be legible, and extremely strict.
                SO - if MIDI data lives in the preset file as XML, it should be possible to parse the sequence and turn it into MIDI.
                Personally, while I do understand XML, I'm not of the mind to learn about midi file structure.
                Perhaps one of our brethren....?

Just found this thread because this was the first time I actually needed to do something like this too. Now that the sequencer is evolving and becoming all powerful I got to the point where I was trying to copy a keys sequence I recorded on the blackbox to another pad with a different sample.

the import midi feature is great and can work with any pad, but that is the only way to assign different keys sequences to different pads so far. If this ever happens it will be great! Otherwise, it will still be great! What a wonderful machine.

Edit: one other strange possibly could maybe be an option to record to two pads at once. Or not a copy and paste function, but to have one pad be able to trigger other pads with midi, like a follow function.

im not sure if it’s possible to have the midi out of a sequence trigger the midi in of a pad, that’s one thing I was trying too.

Comment

I would love to be able to copy and paste notes from individual pads ( not the whole sequence).

also a double length option to take you from a few bars up to 8/16 etc

Comment

double length with notes would be a great addition.

Comment

right so, below is an example of a note sequence of a preset's xml file. changing row and column is not hard to do so one can easily shift the sequences using a computer and external editor (I would be wary of duplicated xml entries though!) . but on the same "note" (pun intended) it would be an easy one for 1010music to implement the functionality of moving sequences into different slots. I guess if enough people request this feature it will be implemented promptly. Aaron, if you could address this, that would be hugely appreciated

generally I feel 1010music implements a whole lot of "advanced" features that are really nice to have and def a selling point, but moving midi sequences into different slots is kind of an every sequencer's basic functionality. Def on top of my 1010 wishlist (alongside the routing of the fx to the respective channel outs instead of routing everything to output 1 rendering fx unusable for the other outputs). loving the BB nonetheless and the way its evolving

<cell row="3" column="3" layer="1" type="noteseq">
                    <params notesteplen="10" notestepcount="64" dutycyc="1000" midioutchan="0" quantsize="1" padnote="0" dispmode="1" seqplayenable="1"/>
                    <sequence>
                    <seqevent step="61" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="2" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="0" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="1" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="5" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="8" chan="271" type="note" pitch="48" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="10" chan="271" type="note" pitch="45" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="16" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="17" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="21" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="22" chan="271" type="note" pitch="48" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="24" chan="271" type="note" pitch="48" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="26" chan="271" type="note" pitch="45" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="29" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="2" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="32" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="33" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="37" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="40" chan="271" type="note" pitch="48" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="42" chan="271" type="note" pitch="45" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="48" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="49" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="53" chan="271" type="note" pitch="47" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="54" chan="271" type="note" pitch="48" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="56" chan="271" type="note" pitch="48" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    <seqevent step="58" chan="271" type="note" pitch="45" lencount="1" velocity="100"/>
                    </sequence>

Comment

Working...
                    X