Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• byrdinbbylon
    commented on 's reply
    That's a pretty cool idea. I like the idea of a page of dedicated external midi sequences.

• shankiphonic
    commented on 's reply
    I agree it's nice to take a sequence and play it through different instruments/samples to find the most appropriate sound.

• jayneural
    commented on 's reply
    Sequence mode should remain for first 16 pads though because sometimes it’s fun to assign what was internal to an external synth and test other sounds.
    That would be 16 hybrid pads like now and 16 dedicated to MIDI.
    And why not another 16(?) clips that would have a transversal timeline for vocals or instrument recordings. That last idea would fit better in song mode though.

• shankiphonic
    commented on 's reply
    Steve - as it happens, usually the sequences that play internal sounds are rhythm/drums - those are short. The longer seqs are for external midi.

I also like the theme of the comment from jayneural about midi only sequences. I contributed a similar wishlist topic*
    Since I do so much midi, plus internal playing, I've gotten into the habit of having a "sacrificial" sequence that I have to leave blank so that I don't accidentally trigger a one of my synths when I switch over to playing pads....

*https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...-select-no-pad

• jayneural
    commented on 's reply
    in my real, less funny life

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    jayneural where have you been??

• jayneural
    commented on 's reply
    Makes me think, 16 pads for internal sounds + 16 dedicated to MIDI... that could make sense and would let specific settings for MIDI on them, simplifying the process ! And maybe the BB could handle that easier in terms of CPU.

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    Curious. Are your long sequences playing internal sounds or external MIDI?

• shankiphonic
    replied
    I might also like to have more than 16 sequences.
    I wouldn't necessarily use 16+ sequences simultaneously.
    Instead I'd use the additional, sequences to manage longer melodic themes.
    /
    That said - My true preference at this time is 999-step sequences.
    I have started to regularly find myself "hitting the wall" at step 256 when programing melodic themes. I can extend the themes into another sequence today - so that is why I'd be able to use more sequences.
    /
    HOWEVER -
    the issue with more than 16 sequences is accessing them. I'm doing okay today with turning sequences on/off when playing live. I'm concerned that a 2nd page of sequences, or more, smaller sequence buttons on a single page would be difficult to start/stop in-time.
    so this brings me back to a greater max step length per sequence.

Leave a comment:

• NoParades
    replied
    Originally posted by pallozza View Post

The constrains depends from the style of music. For most beat making; 8-16 patterns are plenty; but if you work on other genres, you will end up having more variations, especially if you use different instruments (some of my compositions have 40-50 instruments easily, and that's not even fully orchestrated). I could see a step forward if there is a way to automate pads mute; so at that point I don't see a sequence as one block that contains all my instruments that I want to play at that time, but I have the ability to design each sequence with the feature of being able to mute and unmute pads while the pattern runs; which is equivalent to make X sequences for the variations

As far as workflow; does it bother you to have extra pages that you can ignore? If you are OK with 16 pages you will never know that there are more; so I don't really see a problem with the workflow. Unless you are forced to see all the extra sequences (which won't happen on such small screen), you can continue to work as now, and not even think about diluting your workflow.
    no, obviously I don't have any issue with extra screens of sequences I don't need, that'd be ridiculous. My point was if effort is being spent on BB's various upgrade options, and CPU availability is a concern on the dev side, I'd rather have the sequences/pads that are already available be fleshed out to their fullest potential instead of left as-is in favor of more of the same. I definitely don't have 40-50 instruments going at once, usually 6-8 of the pads are playing loops or pitched samples that are sequenced, a couple are controlling external synths, and maybe 4 are doing rhythmic/percussion things. I definitely strive to use BB as a central control center of a live rig, so having some things that improve that specific workflow are more important to me than additional sequences, no harm no foul.

If the 1010 team can make more sequences happen, awesome. I just hope it doesn't happen at the detriment of other options (more MIDI assignable parameters, UI reflecting incoming changes, maybe even some internal modulation) if CPU is the main variable.

Leave a comment:

• Villainmedia
    replied
    Originally posted by icekickey View Post
    +1 Hell yes! Please for the love of delia Derbyshire make this possible!
    I’m liking your post just because of your icon. Huge Lynch fan here!!

Leave a comment:

• pallozza
    replied
    Originally posted by NoParades View Post
    just for a differing opinion, if it's a CPU resource allocation issue between adding more sequences versus having the UI reflect midi input on assignable parameters or other things "missing" (I use this term VERY loosely) I'd prefer the original 16 be fully bolstered. There is SO much variation to be made within each sequence already, especially with the new probability and off-grid options. I have yet to have a scenario where I needed more than the 16 available personally, but I can absolutely understand how more could be utilized.

Every device available has limitations, which get defined by all sorts of reasons/causes. BlackBox to me has always felt like the workflow revolves around that 16 position "launcher", both of sequences and pads. Adding another page or pages of these would dilute that workflow, and if the added tracks of sequencing are at the expense of fleshing out the existing environment, it just doesn't feel worth it.
    The constrains depends from the style of music. For most beat making; 8-16 patterns are plenty; but if you work on other genres, you will end up having more variations, especially if you use different instruments (some of my compositions have 40-50 instruments easily, and that's not even fully orchestrated). I could see a step forward if there is a way to automate pads mute; so at that point I don't see a sequence as one block that contains all my instruments that I want to play at that time, but I have the ability to design each sequence with the feature of being able to mute and unmute pads while the pattern runs; which is equivalent to make X sequences for the variations

As far as workflow; does it bother you to have extra pages that you can ignore? If you are OK with 16 pages you will never know that there are more; so I don't really see a problem with the workflow. Unless you are forced to see all the extra sequences (which won't happen on such small screen), you can continue to work as now, and not even think about diluting your workflow.

Leave a comment:

• NoParades
    replied
    just for a differing opinion, if it's a CPU resource allocation issue between adding more sequences versus having the UI reflect midi input on assignable parameters or other things "missing" (I use this term VERY loosely) I'd prefer the original 16 be fully bolstered. There is SO much variation to be made within each sequence already, especially with the new probability and off-grid options. I have yet to have a scenario where I needed more than the 16 available personally, but I can absolutely understand how more could be utilized.

Every device available has limitations, which get defined by all sorts of reasons/causes. BlackBox to me has always felt like the workflow revolves around that 16 position "launcher", both of sequences and pads. Adding another page or pages of these would dilute that workflow, and if the added tracks of sequencing are at the expense of fleshing out the existing environment, it just doesn't feel worth it.

Leave a comment:

• pallozza
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the clarification neilstapleton. I get your comment now.

From my perspective; a sequence is a set of instructions for each of my synths; since each pad is a synth for me (or a channel for a multi-timbral synth, in the case of a synth with 16 channels), I favor having more sequences, since I can create more variations. If I lose pads, that is OK; I understand the limitations of the device, and 16 pads is OK for me.

I like your idea of adding more sequences for midi only; but that would double the CPU load though; since you have not only the 16 pads for midi but the 16 pads for [whatever you may add in it]; and in that case I agree that it would be heavy on the system.From my perspective I wish the Blackbox was more like the Pyramid or the Deluge; with a sequencer that would allow you to get some serious power as far as number of tracks and length of patterns. For 100 dollars more you can get a MPC One which in terms of features and sequencer capabilities, is quite a step up, at the cost of losing portability and ease of use.

And Georges I am aware that the sequences do play simultaneously; I just don't use the BB in that way You have just 16 sequences; if you start to add an instrument or 2 per sequence; you end up with very limited number of variations, and that is crippling for me (pretty sure others thrive with deprivation and being forced to use limited resources; I am just not like that, and what I make is rubbish if I work in such conditions )

• neilstapleton
    commented on 's reply
    Okay pallozza. Allow me to explain what I mean in a little more detail. At the moment each sequence has to be associated with a Pad, so if you want to sequence an external midi synth you effectively loose the use of one of the 16 pads. What you are asking for if more sequences, so without any other changes to the why things work at present, I was presuming that would also require another 16 pads, which would by default be fully functional sample pads.

My suggestion was to leave the current configuration or sequences to pad the same, but add an additional 16 sequences dedicated only to external midi. My presumption (which I admit may be wrong) is that the cpu cost of a sequencing and playing back samples would be greater than for just sequencing external midi alone.

So if more than 16 pads/sequencer tracks isn't possible, maybe my suggestion is more achievable.

Can anyone explain the Pads to Sequences relationship better than me.... because it's this that is at the centre of my point really and I'm not doing a good job of explaining it. An I right that is you sequence external gear you loose the use of a pad?
Working...
X