sample loop behavior bug / feature request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sample loop behavior bug / feature request

coming from the digitakt the behavior of playing samples in loop mode on the bb seems buggy

what I mean is if I loop a sample, with the sample length later than the loop end point, the sample cuts off early at the loop and and starts the loop without finishing the sample to the sample end point

my request is when you loop a sample, the sample plays out to the end of the sample before going into the loop

another difference is when the loop is outside the start / end of the sample start / end it doesn't loop

i think to reproduce this issue you'd need to try this on a digitakt and watch the waveform view on playback you can see and hear a big difference

feel free to post a video of the comparison.

Comment

• shankiphonic
      shankiphonic commented
      Editing a comment
      video posted.
      results even more favorable for the blackbox than I was expecting

shane0
    Your comments really got me thinking.
    I'm revising my previous comment. I had previously written something like, "both good, just different".
    That's partially true. both machines are good, and both machines are different. But I'll admit - I was wrong in that I was implying you were correct. I did think the looping you're describing isn't possible. Now I don't think that's the case.

but, I think you're citing user error. what's your Release % set to? Try 100% and report back.

In short - I hacked at looped sample playback on the blackbox until I came up with 11 different looping scenarios. (it might actually be 12, I didn't count reverse playback without looping...)

Technically speaking, the blackbox is arguably more feature rich in this capability than the Digitakt. I know, right?

Maybe a little niche, but I did a video. Happy birthday.
    Last edited by shankiphonic; 01-25-2021, 09:43 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      video does not playback

• shankiphonic
      shankiphonic commented
      Editing a comment
      weird. it's on YouTube, plays fine for me from here... it's getting traffic.
      here's the link. https://youtu.be/HgAG6HWRrL0

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Plays now. Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

nice video! are those mermaid charts?

I wasn't saying one is better or worse just giving my context, haven't really thought about that yet.

imo the expected playback would work like this
    1. play the sample from start to end position
    2. enter the loop section
    3. play it back start to end
    of course reverse & bi directional would swap start/end positions

if behavior was the above I think that would be consistent with the graphic interface & the plain english definitions of the labels, the way it works currently some settings are ignored, length isn't the length, samples might playback outside the boundaries, etc. it requires some mental gymnastics to understand

if this gets updated isn't my decision but there's my there's my 2 cents lol

Comment

• shankiphonic
      shankiphonic commented
      Editing a comment
      none of the playthru scenarios satisfy you?
      you're a tougher customer than I am!

ha. One thing that's clear - there are a lot of options for how to use looping on both the blackbox and the digitakt.
      I actually more likely to get confused when tweaking loops on the fly on the DT rather than the blackbox, because it's harder to see which line on the screen is the loop and which line is the sample end.

These were not mermaid charts, no. I wasn't familiar with that. But I used something similar.
Working...
X