Filter value doesn't update when using midi cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter value doesn't update when using midi cc

I've noticed that the integer representation of the filter value doesn't update when modifying it using Midi CC. This can be quite frustrating because when I want to smoothly go back to 0% I have to make a guess. During live situations it's not fun.

Yes it is the same with every midi learned parameter ( bpm, vol, pitch, loop start, ...) it is really annoying.
    The BB does not send data out either, so if you have a midi controller connected and you use the BB for changing something, you will have jumps in
    values when you use the midi controller.
    cheers

Comment

Dang,I didn't think about those jumps either..

So at the start of my live session I need to make a decision up front about whether to use nothing but external midi to control these or not.

Although this should be a relatively easy thing for 1010 music to resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ademali View Post
        I've noticed that the integer representation of the filter value doesn't update when modifying it using Midi CC. This can be quite frustrating because when I want to smoothly go back to 0% I have to make a guess. During live situations it's not fun.
        This is documented.
        "...parameter value as a starting point."

The idea is that you're not technically changing the filter value on the blackbox. You're modulating the filter on the blackbox. An LFO with a given depth will oscillate at that depth regardless of whether the filter is at 0 or 20. So if the filter depth is -5 you're going to oscillate between -5 and 0, or 15 and 20...
        In order to easily go back to zero, you can leave the filter setting on the blackbox at zero, and then use the external controller to go back to zero.

I only have a few hardware synths.
        When I modulate parameters on other hardware (from an external source or within the same machine) - say LFO 1 mods filter freq; when that's active the values displayed for freq don't change in time with the LFO.
        I think this is pretty standard.

Comment

For an LFO this is indeed fairly standard, although I don't know how long that will last for all gear with digital displays. But this is midi cc on a digital box, not an oscillating modulation source. Displaying midi cc values is pretty common for devices with digital displays.

Comment

I also think it would be better to display the value according to the midi cc. I’m pretty used to that from daws and other devices that use midi learn. My midi controllers don’t have displays so I don’t know the exact value I’m sending and for things like pitch and filter it’s important to see. Especially with endless encoders that can do bigger jumps according to the speed of your twist it’s kind of impossible to know where I just jumped.

Comment

+1 to this, it does get confusing when mod source is an endless midi encoder, e.g. I have no idea how to reset the filter to exactly 0.

Modern softsynths solve this by showing the starting value (knob position), the modulation range, and animating the actual/output value within the mod range in real time.

Comment

Working...
              X