Wish for BB to read root note and velocity from filename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish for BB to read root note and velocity from filename

Having gone through the posts, I have seen many request for an easy way to bring layered samples into the BB without any clear answers. There does not seem to be an easy way to batch set the necessary wavefile tags.
    My wish would be for the BlackBox to read the rootnote and velocity from the filename. Something like:
    name_Nxxx_Lyyy.wav would be imported as name with a root note of xxx and a level of yyy. With xxx and yyy values between 0 and 127 to correspond with the MIDI designation.

I think the answers that 1010 has given are clear. The problem is that the answers also obnoxious. They require you to leave the bit/black box ecosystem for long uninspiring periods of time, and require users to gain familiarity with yet one more audio editing software package made by some other company.

Comment

I have seen where they have helped to define the problem by pointing out what tags are used, but not where they definitively said that they wouldn’t help solve it. I have yet to find a smooth way to get my multi-samples without tags to load into the BB even using external software. Is there a non-iPad step-list that people are using to do this (imbed the proper tags) for velocity layering?

Comment

Just to clarify -

As of right now (1.7.4) when we import multi sample files, our choices are to have the root note reside on C2, or C2... is that correct?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing a way to take a scale that starts at c3 and root it on c3, for example.

Comment

+1 I would extrapolate the idea to some general detection from name in both loading a sample on the right key but also for search.

The BB could have some scan process indexing all files from their names and folder structure they're in, and provide tag search (kicks, snares, bass, synth, pads, vocals, by key etc).

Comment

Let me clarify the available options for setting the root note in multisamples:
          • Use blackbox's built in tool for creating multisamples and embedding the correct tags at the same time
          • Use blackbox to set the root note in the file by loading a single sample, choose the correct Root Note on the Misc page, followed by doing a File->Save to update the tag. This process does require that you go through the samples one by one
          • Use a third party editor on Mac or PC to edit the relevant tags.
          I get that not automatically reading the root note from the filename is a drag. We do consider it to be a feature request. I hope this helps.

Comment

Aaron, not being able to do this with some kind of batch processing makes the second bullet a major drag on black/bitbox too. Twiddling the encoders to set the correct note 12-36 different times is not musicmaking.

Bullet 1 - Building multisamples using the built-in bit/black box tool is the only option that delivers a cool/automatic workflow. The lack of any type of import process for multisamples is a nightmare that I continue to complain about. How about a GUI where you can drag filenames to keys on a keyboard like you can do in Maschine/Reaktor/Kontakt?
            Maybe one could even hot swap samples in a multisample. The touch screen is so underutilized at times on the bitbox!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0023.png
Views:	81
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	24033

Comment

And setting the sample note only solves half of importing a multi-sampled instrument with multiple velocity layers. Reading the velocity data from the filename solves the other half. Please consider that as a feature request, also. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rayultine View Post
                Aaron, not being able to do this with some kind of batch processing makes the second bullet a major drag on black/bitbox too. Twiddling the encoders to set the correct note 12-36 different times is not musicmaking.
                You're absolutely right. It's not musicmaking. It's housekeeping. Thankfully, it will only need to be done once for an instrument.

Comment

• pro424
                  pro424 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This method does not support velocity though, only root note. Right? So is there any way to edit the velocity of a sample apart from actually recording with a set number of velocity layers?

• Paranormal Patroler
                  Paranormal Patroler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  pro424

There are several different tags supported. You'll have to work with metadata to do what you want.

WAV smpl tag: for root note information when loading multisamples

WAV inst tag: it includes key range and velocity range.

WAV acid tag: This tag contains the beat count used in clips

WAV cue points: This tag represents markers in the file, which are interpreted as slice points.

• pro424
                  pro424 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Paranormal Patroler Yeah exactly, but that seems to be easier said then done without spending a fortune on software?

I have not seen any posts showing how to take a sample library with note and velocity layers and get it to import into the BB. I personally think that a simple file name parsing would make this available to all. We could then use the cheap SampleRobot volca as an auto-sampler for external gear and vst instruments.
                Seems an extremely easy ask, but there must be a reason why it is not done...

Comment

Working...
                X