"Note OFF unquantisized" Option for Sequencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icekickey View Post
    +1 Hell yes! Please for the love of delia Derbyshire make this possible!
    I’m liking your post just because of your icon. Huge Lynch fan here!!

Comment

Originally posted by pallozza View Post

The constrains depends from the style of music. For most beat making; 8-16 patterns are plenty; but if you work on other genres, you will end up having more variations, especially if you use different instruments (some of my compositions have 40-50 instruments easily, and that's not even fully orchestrated). I could see a step forward if there is a way to automate pads mute; so at that point I don't see a sequence as one block that contains all my instruments that I want to play at that time, but I have the ability to design each sequence with the feature of being able to mute and unmute pads while the pattern runs; which is equivalent to make X sequences for the variations

As far as workflow; does it bother you to have extra pages that you can ignore? If you are OK with 16 pages you will never know that there are more; so I don't really see a problem with the workflow. Unless you are forced to see all the extra sequences (which won't happen on such small screen), you can continue to work as now, and not even think about diluting your workflow.
      no, obviously I don't have any issue with extra screens of sequences I don't need, that'd be ridiculous. My point was if effort is being spent on BB's various upgrade options, and CPU availability is a concern on the dev side, I'd rather have the sequences/pads that are already available be fleshed out to their fullest potential instead of left as-is in favor of more of the same. I definitely don't have 40-50 instruments going at once, usually 6-8 of the pads are playing loops or pitched samples that are sequenced, a couple are controlling external synths, and maybe 4 are doing rhythmic/percussion things. I definitely strive to use BB as a central control center of a live rig, so having some things that improve that specific workflow are more important to me than additional sequences, no harm no foul.

If the 1010 team can make more sequences happen, awesome. I just hope it doesn't happen at the detriment of other options (more MIDI assignable parameters, UI reflecting incoming changes, maybe even some internal modulation) if CPU is the main variable.

Comment

Did you try to use the MIDI In settings on the tools page? Select a specific channel for MIDI Pads or MIDI Keys. Then only that channel will trigger pads and keys. The default setting is OMNI which means it will respond to all channels. If this doesn't solve the problem, please explain what you want to do but can't.

Comment

• dertranb
          dertranb commented
          Editing a comment
          hello c.,

i use the bb as a drum expander, meaning there is another sequencer/drum machine trigering some BB pads. ok pads are playing accordingly. but i don"t want to record them on the SEQ. but i want to record on SEQ some multisample or granular sample that i play on another midi controller. if i try to record the multisample or anything, all my pads trigged by the external seq are recorded too ! i think we need a specification of the midi channel that will be recorded. i think of something simple like a NEW tools pref that says : midi channel recorde-able : omni / x. (x can be 1 to 16). but it may be a smoother way (user friendly) to put this pref at the pads level...

hello c.,

i use the bb as a drum expander, meaning there is another sequencer/drum machine trigering some BB pads. ok pads are playing accordingly. but i don"t want to record them on the SEQ. but i want to record on SEQ some multisample or granular sample that i play on another midi controller. if i try to record the multisample or anything, all my pads trigged by the external seq are recorded too ! i think we need a specification of the midi channel that will be recorded. i think of something simple like a NEW tools pref that says : midi channel recorde-able : omni / x. (x can be 1 to 16). but it may be a smoother way (user friendly) to put this pref at the pads level...

Comment

christine,

i rode this morning the new manual you made, recently (?). that's a very good work, very helpful and pretty smart and clear. about this "midi in" selection "issue" of mine : i may have found how to describe it, meaning, what i would REALLY appreciate & that would be a game changing in my workflow : if i understand well, my biggest problems, at this point, would be fixed if there was another option, i added it at the end : a channel midi in selection at SEQ CELL level, as there is already an option of the midi channel out selection of each cell.

:Click image for larger version  Name:	midi in seq2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	192.9 KB ID:	23082

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            This has been requested and is on our wish list of updates. I agree it would be useful. Thanks for posting.

• dertranb
            dertranb commented
            Editing a comment
            FW 2.0.0 is a great update, & makes the BB a grown up. but i'm still looking forward a kinda "midi rec specification / exclusion"

I might also like to have more than 16 sequences.
          I wouldn't necessarily use 16+ sequences simultaneously.
          Instead I'd use the additional, sequences to manage longer melodic themes.
          /
          That said - My true preference at this time is 999-step sequences.
          I have started to regularly find myself "hitting the wall" at step 256 when programing melodic themes. I can extend the themes into another sequence today - so that is why I'd be able to use more sequences.
          /
          HOWEVER -
          the issue with more than 16 sequences is accessing them. I'm doing okay today with turning sequences on/off when playing live. I'm concerned that a 2nd page of sequences, or more, smaller sequence buttons on a single page would be difficult to start/stop in-time.
          so this brings me back to a greater max step length per sequence.

Comment

• shankiphonic
            shankiphonic commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve - as it happens, usually the sequences that play internal sounds are rhythm/drums - those are short. The longer seqs are for external midi.

I also like the theme of the comment from jayneural about midi only sequences. I contributed a similar wishlist topic*
            Since I do so much midi, plus internal playing, I've gotten into the habit of having a "sacrificial" sequence that I have to leave blank so that I don't accidentally trigger a one of my synths when I switch over to playing pads....

*https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...-select-no-pad

• jayneural
            jayneural commented
            Editing a comment
            Sequence mode should remain for first 16 pads though because sometimes it’s fun to assign what was internal to an external synth and test other sounds.
            That would be 16 hybrid pads like now and 16 dedicated to MIDI.
            And why not another 16(?) clips that would have a transversal timeline for vocals or instrument recordings. That last idea would fit better in song mode though.

• shankiphonic
            shankiphonic commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree it's nice to take a sequence and play it through different instruments/samples to find the most appropriate sound.

thanks steve !

Comment

Yes!!!! I have tiny fingers and even trying to get notes entered properly in the current sequencer takes many tries. A larger sized sequencer like this would be awesome. I'd even take a 16 step sequencer with a toggle to pick different measures to make it even larger

Comment

I absolutely love this idea. I hope it would be easy to implement since we already have this kind of view in the gate sequencer of the toolbox.
              Maybe the steps could have a square size so that we have space for two virtual faders/sliders on the right side for velocity and probability. So in edit mode we could just select an event and set velocity and probability for this step with the two onscreen sliders (and/or one of the knobs).

Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Originally posted by nuemerik View Post
                Yes!!!! I have tiny fingers and even trying to get notes entered properly in the current sequencer takes many tries. A larger sized sequencer like this would be awesome. I'd even take a 16 step sequencer with a toggle to pick different measures to make it even larger
                It would be nice to be able to chose diferent grids for sure.If resizing is to much work I would vote for 8 by 8 because it seems to be a nice balance between size and amount of steps on the same row, same as many devices like Machine Jam, Push, akai Force, Circuit...

Originally posted by nuemerik View Post
                I absolutely love this idea. I hope it would be easy to implement since we already have this kind of view in the gate sequencer of the toolbox.
                Maybe the steps could have a square size so that we have space for two virtual faders/sliders on the right side for velocity and probability. So in edit mode we could just select an event and set velocity and probability for this step with the two onscreen sliders (and/or one of the knobs).
                Nice idea too!

I have made a little screenshot of how it could look like. I also added the 4 slots on the top right which would be the rest of the pages if the sequence has more than 32 steps. The black boxes would only appear depending on the length that the sequence is set to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blackBoxStepView3.png
Views:	168
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	23949

Comment

+1 for this great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by andreu View Post
                    Thanks for your comments!

I have made a little screenshot of how it could look like. I also added the 4 slots on the top right which would be the rest of the pages if the sequence has more than 32 steps. The black boxes would only appear depending on the length that the sequence is set to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	blackBoxStepView3.png Views:	146 Size:	25.9 KB ID:	23949
                    Thanks for this screen/layout
                    This looks like it would improve entering steps for drums a lot.
                    A big I LIKE from me!
                    Last edited by tomeso; 05-31-2021, 06:52 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thought of a better way to explain the latter request. Was working on a sequence tonight where I had a drum bass and keyboard part. I just wanted the Drum and bass part and wanted to get rid of the keyboard part, only way I could figure out how to do that was to manually erase each note in the sequence editor which is a bit of a pain.

Comment

Very cool suggestion!

Comment

Also, the ability to double / half the speed of a sequence and to be able to double the sequence length, copying the contents to the new half

Comment

Working...
                          X