No announcement yet.

"Note OFF unquantisized" Option for Sequencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you want finer resolution you need to update the step length of that sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by shankiphonic View Post
      if you want finer resolution you need to update the step length of that sequence.
      the problem with doing that is it also effectively shortens the sequence. For example if you have 32 step sequence with step length of 1 bar, you have a 32 bar sequence. If you change step length to 1/2 bar you now effectively have a 16 bar sequence.

What I think would be really cool and useful is to keep the length but break up steps into multiples. So for example to take those 1 bar steps and break them up into 1/4 bar steps, changing the length of the step without effecting the length of the sequence.

Comment

• shankiphonic
        shankiphonic commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand the behavior, and I agree your suggestions would be nice.
        Yes it’s disappointing when I have laid down an idea, and then I realize I want to change the timing, some rework is then needed.
        If I’m not mistaken, the Deluge is really the novelty when it comes to this functionality. If you double or halve the time on an Elektron box, the preexisting events, or trigs, stay exactly where they were also.

I listened to something of yours on SoundCloud not long ago. Good stuff.

• arteom
        arteom commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks shankiphonic, glad to hear you enjoyed what you heard.

Originally posted by arteom View Post

What I think would be really cool and useful is to keep the length but break up steps into multiples. So for example to take those 1 bar steps and break them up into 1/4 bar steps, changing the length of the step without effecting the length of the sequence.
      This would be perfect!

Comment

I am currently waiting on the arrival of a newly purchased Blackbox, but this discussion is making me a bit confused about how the Blackbox operates. Correct me if I’m wrong but is it like this: you have 16 sequences and each one is connected a sample, and all of the sequences can play at the same time, so they can trigger up to 16 samples.... Some people are asking for more sequences because they want more ways to play out the 16 samples (to create variations or have more fleshed out song structures), but others are saying that it would cause too much cpu strain to do this. My question is, would it cause cpu strain to have 16 more sequences because you would then be given the option to trigger 16 other samples? This is of course assuming that each sequence is connected to a specific sample, which I’m not clear about. If it doesn’t work like this, then I definitely think adding more sequences is important to the creation of complex structures.

Comment

• arteom
          arteom commented
          Editing a comment
          There are 16 sequences, but it is not correct to say that each one is tied to only 1 sample. Each sequence can trigger any combination of sample pads, play slices in a sample pad, or play a sample pad chromatically. A sequence can also be used to play external equipment. There's a fairly good amount flexibility on how one might go about using the sequence section. Part of the fun is figuring that out and making use of it in a way that suits your needs and style. As far as the number of 16 not being enough - not be all end all. I have my own reasons why I would like more, which I have expressed elsewhere, but there are ways to work around it.

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          Have a look at our YouTube channel. We have a series of videos on the blackbox that might help explain some of this.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...L_BrN7tqwjBrwC

+1 to start position. Would allow neat offset rhythms

Comment

Agreed, this is desperately needed.

Comment

Haha, I was about to get out my sketch book to draw up a better sequence screen when I saw this. God this would actually make this thing usable to create sequences...

Comment

I can do this with Blackbox 1.7f firmware update.
              I set the midi of the pad that I am going to write a sequence with to whatever channel I want, if you want more pads , set the same midi channel in each one.
              - the manual says if the tools/global/midi is set to Omni then the pad settings take preference over the Global.
              so then when all other channels play, the channel I have set for that specific pad will only play with that midi channel from external input.
              then I write sequences with only those channels and keys

is that want your asking ?

as also You can import midi to a sequence via SEQS's edit box import.

On the other hand, If you are saying that you want to jam playing premade sequences in Blackbox triggering them with a select-able Midi channel and your own chosen CC's then

yes I would like that too !!!
              as Sequeces are being triggered by notes on by my keyboard when I play them even when I don't want them to be played.

Comment

+1 for this, and I would add a "MIDI CTL" choice on the type of PAD menu that would relieve us from having to load a blank sample when we want to to sequence external gear

If the way the firmware is designed does need a sample to be loaded : the firmware itself should provide and load an empty sample and remove it when selecting an actual sample type PAD.

Comment

I've edited my original post to add the idea of side-chaining among the "FX & MIX" suggested improvements.

Comment

i think xtra sample slots would be stretching th cpu a lot / too much ?!

++1 alter resonace or filter character
                    What a bout an actual master filter + LFo in stead of the reverb and delay fx

really missing in current functionality :
                    * midi led feedback for clips and sequences !!
                    * Custom colour of sequences

* 32 sequences in stead of 16 (thru a sub page)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                      I can do this with Blackbox 1.7f firmware update.
                      I set the midi of the pad that I am going to write a sequence with to whatever channel I want, if you want more pads , set the same midi channel in each one.
                      - the manual says if the tools/global/midi is set to Omni then the pad settings take preference over the Global.
                      so then when all other channels play, the channel I have set for that specific pad will only play with that midi channel from external input.
                      then I write sequences with only those channels and keys

is that want your asking ?
                      thanks for your help/input, but sorry, i may not fully understand what you describe : if those channels and keys is meaning "every sound you hear is recorded", well that is exactly something i DONT want... my problem : i want to record one pad sequences that i play with my midi keyboard, on channel X, while other pads are been triggered (on other midi channel) / are playing WITHOUT been recorded (since there are drumbrute dependant). it seems that steve acknowledged this problemn so i think there is no workaround at this point

as also You can import midi to a sequence via SEQS's edit box import.
                      not applicable here, jam/improv oriented music

On the other hand, If you are saying that you want to jam playing premade sequences in Blackbox triggering them with a select-able Midi channel and your own chosen CC's then
                      no, i am NOT speaking about sequences launching/dealing, but about the BB been able to play several pads, but only record one.
                      yes I would like that too !!!
                      as Sequeces are being triggered by notes on by my keyboard when I play them even when I don't want them to be played.

Comment

(bb is on 17f)

Comment

Definitely a massive improvement over the current implementation of pads view.

You can have the same pad selector on the upper right of the screen that the keys view has, which frees up the upper right knob to control parameter amounts for the on screen buttons. I'd personally have ratcheting (retrigger) and velocity replace mute and random. Now other things are free to add in the two events slots. Also the clear button should clear a single pad's sequenced notes within the single pad screens. I'd have 16 notes up on the screen at once (with steps greyed out if the sequence is smaller) and instead of the zoom knob function, I'd have it scroll through the following/prior 16 step pages. Like your mock up, it'd land on the last note played, which makes things much easier to find if you have long sequences. To go back to the beginning you simply double tap the stop button.
                          Last edited by Sequential Circuits; 08-05-2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hello!

Shortly after firmware 2's launch I posted on 1010music Blackbox's Facebook group about the sequencer. Pasting here so my personal bit of feedback might be perhaps considered:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1010...83016185663643

"(...) Touch-zoom is too fiddly and unengaging.
                            Some sort of 'quantized zoom-in lock' (maybe using knob 1) per pad-sequence so we could have a step grid (different zoom levels as we turn, ala Squarp Pyramid perhaps) filling-up the display, and maybe flip between different pad sequences using knob 2 while in zoomed-in, knob 3 for sub-steps and knob 4 for quick pattern generation following some rule.
                            Just want to put this out there because I really love it and wish the sequencer was at the level I find the rest of it is."

Hope this or something like it is being worked on!

Chico

Comment

Working...
                            X