Dreaming of odd length sample recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaming of odd length sample recording

Blackbox is nearly perfect for my needs - polymetric ambient and techno type stuff. The sequencer handles this just fine, but recording doesn't. What I'd like is to be able to set any length for a new WAV recording rather than it being powers of 2. I don't get why this is a limitation in virtually all gear! I guess people making non 4/4 stuff are in the minority, but check the forums for virtually every sequencer, looper and sampler and there'll be people disappointed that odd length loops aren't supported. Implement this and I think you'll snare said minority, as Blackbox would be fairly unique!

An alternative would be to make custom length recordings autoplay after recording, or at least have that option. The fact that this isn't doable means the only viable workaround (setting record quantize to something small, length to custom and being accurate on the REC button timing) actually doesn't work after all.

I agree it would be so good if recordings and clips could be odd lengths. To be honest this is the only new feature I really want, because it amps up the generative possibilities of the device so much. Here's hoping.

Comment

+ 1 for odd time sample and clip recording
      It seems greedy to ask for more from this wonderful box, but this feature would enable so much creatively and, as Rev-eng says above, I think would make the Blackbox both unique and compelling.
      Finger's crossed

Comment

Originally posted by rev-eng View Post
        Blackbox is nearly perfect for my needs ....
        ...An alternative would be to make custom length recordings autoplay after recording, or at least have that option....
        You're talking about a looper. They make those.

Comment

Haha, true! I expect a lot of my devices!

It's more that when it seems a subtle tweak to existing functionality would expand the scope considerably, its worth suggesting. Assuming its a subtle tweak anyway, maybe it's not!

Comment

I agree it's worthwhile to share your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X