Normalization of recorded samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalization of recorded samples

In the file menu allowing to trim and save samples, add a normalize function to get a more homogeneous level of samples recorded and deal with samples recorded at low volume (like line level on the BB input)

You have low line level in as well? I thought I'd screwed up my (admittedly complex) gain staging! That's good to know although normalisation would definitely help

Comment

• Mfactory
      Mfactory
      Mfactory commented
      Editing a comment
      Having low level with line level signals is expected since BB works with Eurorack levels that are way higher. This can always be compensated at the recording step by turning the gain up, but this increases the noise on the input. Normalizing a wav with a low level might not help with regard to signal noise ratio.... But could be usefull with pre recorded sample bank to avoid having to play with mixer too much

yes indeed, i think that "normalize" could be so useful in many cases... (and also, as this is editing related : fade out, and fade in, as find it((s so easy and quick and smart to put a very small fade out to sample's end. more convenient and quick than using adsr or trim)
    dertranb
    Last edited by dertranb; 10-05-2021, 05:22 AM. Reason: feedback

Comment

Yes agree totally, +1

Comment

sing it from the mountaintops, normalize would be HUGE with the wide range of input gain the BB has. setup for different inputs is a time consuming (and sometimes vibe killing) process. having some normalization would at least give us a "oh crap this is good, HIT THE RED BUTTON" panic aversion after the fact if something coming in isn't hot enough.

Comment

+1 a normalization function would be very handy!

Comment

+1 for normalization

Comment

Agree for normalization +1

Comment

+1. Would pair really well with a built in compressor too (-;

Comment

+1 Indeed agreed.

Comment

I must be doing something wrong. I have to intentionally NOT normalize anything to keep levels from being too high. hmm...
                  ASTROFREQ
                  Last edited by ASTROFREQ; 12-09-2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Georges
                    Georges
                    Georges commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also wonder whether normalisation would be such a great idea, given that you can already mix pads individually within blackbox, you can even resample the result …

+100 for normalisation

Comment

From my experience with the Blackbox, wouldn't having all pads Normalized just crush any dynamics and detail since the sum of the pads would be REALLY loud? Does that make sense? I can understand wanting to normalize a Preset (when the maximum number of Pads are playing at once), but it seems that normalizing each sample would make the sum of everything too hot. Or would it not? I think normalizing each pad would remove any breathing room in the music, but maybe I don't get how it would be useful for my needs. Not trying to take away from the suggestion, I'm more so trying to understand it.

Comment

+1, I feel the need of this feature almost every time I sample. And I believe it would be one of the simple ones to implement. Wouldn't say no to other disruptive FX like a bit crusher or a flanger.

Comment

Originally posted by ASTROFREQ View Post
                        From my experience with the Blackbox, wouldn't having all pads Normalized just crush any dynamics and detail since the sum of the pads would be REALLY loud? Does that make sense? I can understand wanting to normalize a Preset (when the maximum number of Pads are playing at once), but it seems that normalizing each sample would make the sum of everything too hot. Or would it not? I think normalizing each pad would remove any breathing room in the music, but maybe I don't get how it would be useful for my needs. Not trying to take away from the suggestion, I'm more so trying to understand it.

So, normalization usually isn't intended for per project use. it's more like, when you sample something, you normalize it at the sampling stage, and now it's saved to whichever directory you're sampling into at a normalized level. if all of your other samples are also saved at a normalized level, then you don't need to worry about accidentally blowing your ears out with that one kick you're about to import. Nor will you need to worry about trying to throw in that super groovy skat line you sampled four days ago at your grandpa's house, only to discover that you had his old record player turned up louder than your interface usually is, and as result your sample is way quieter than all of your other samples, even with the plus 12 db the blackbox allows! You still mix normalized samples, as you always would with any other samples, but it saves you the trouble of having to go plus or minus five db with every sample just to get them kind of line and actually ready to be more properly mixed.

My s2400 does it, and it's hands down one of the best features. I can run through ten different sample sources, hit normalize after every sample, and boom, my collection of new samples is totally cohesive.

Comment

• Georges
                          Georges
                          Georges commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would suspect that, for clips, the success of normalization would depend on whether or not there were any infrequent outlying peaks.
                          With one-shots, I could imagine that blind normalization could come into the way of velocity.
                      Working...
                      X