Surround pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surround pads

Wouldn't it be amazing if the BB could play surround audio? It has plenty outputs. A surround pad type should be possible, perhaps even letting you control the quad panning. I can't be the only one with a quadraphonic synth/modular setup. Would be really awesome!

All you would really need to do surround audio is hook up two stereos or 4 monitors.

It can of course already playback surround audio, but you need to prepare them in advance on your computer. I then export the quadraphonic tracks (for example) in two stereo files and add them to two pads, etc. But a quad pan option would indeed be very nice.

Comment

• pieter3d
      pieter3d commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an interesting idea, I should try that.

I would have to assume that out of all the BlackBox users, surround audio is a very small portion compared to more standard ways of monitoring the sound. With basic functionality missing in the current BB feature set such as copy/paste in the sequencer which all owners would benefit from, I would hate for the development team to be sidetracked implementing something that would only benefit a small minority. In other words, would the team sell an appreciable amount of extra units to justify the research and development of this feature?

I have no data on, or basis to know what that answer would be.

Now, add a more usable and complete sequencer and sequencing tools, 16 level pad functions, a more robust arranger/performance/song mode, more effects and sound sculpting tools, and onboard synth engines to bring it in closer in value to other gear available in the ~$600 price range and that would definitely increase sales.

Comment

• pieter3d
      pieter3d commented
      Editing a comment
      The idea is that this could be super easy to implement. You would just have to support quad WAV files and add a page with an XY pad for panning.

Otherwise I agree, the sequencer is really lacking. For me personally it's unusable. But overhauling the sequencer is way more work and requires a lot of thinking too.

I would love to be able to do quad stuff with the BB, that's why I posted this here
Working...
X