Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Per Pad loading of Sounds via Program Change?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per Pad loading of Sounds via Program Change?

Hi, as far as I understand, at the moment, it's possible to send Program Change commands on the Global MIDI Channel to select an new Preset, thus changing the sounds on all Pads. It would be very useful if you could also send Program Change commands on a per-Pad-basis, like you could with a traditional sampler that has 16 programs organised in a performance (which also includes mixer / FX settings etc). Ideally, you could designate Program Change Banks for the different types of sounds ((Sample, Clip, Slicer).
    Like this, the Blackbox could become an awesome and portable replacement for the big 90ies studio samplers. There is not a single product I am aware of that is able to do stuff like that, I think there's a real void here.

Originally posted by unfunk View Post
    Hi, as far as I understand, at the moment, it's possible to send Program Change commands on the Global MIDI Channel to select an new Preset, thus changing the sounds on all Pads. It would be very useful if you could also send Program Change commands on a per-Pad-basis, like you could with a traditional sampler that has 16 programs organised in a performance (which also includes mixer / FX settings etc). Ideally, you could designate Program Change Banks for the different types of sounds ((Sample, Clip, Slicer).
    Like this, the Blackbox could become an awesome and portable replacement for the big 90ies studio samplers. There is not a single product I am aware of that is able to do stuff like that, I think there's a real void here.
    I love this!

i am not a veteran of the classic sampler era but the idea that Blackbox could replicate an amazing feature like that is pretty inspiring.

my guess is in order to do this the sample organization on the SD card would have to be pretty carefully thought through.

As an artist who is interested in developing as “no look” a Blackbox setlist as possible this seems like an excellent suggestion and I would be willing to do the pre-organization to make this possible.

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post

As an artist who is interested in developing as “no look” a Blackbox setlist as possible this seems like an excellent suggestion and I would be willing to do the pre-organization to make this possible.
      "No-look" is a good remark. My scenario is using it with a step sequencer (Midibox Sequencer) that can load patterns together with a PC command.

Without being a developer at all, maybe one could designate folders as banks? EG: Folder 1 equals Bank Select 1, so up to 128 "patches" / samples with their associated parameters in there.

Comment

"No-look" is a good remark. My scenario is using it with a step sequencer (Midibox Sequencer) that can load patterns together with a PC command.

Without being a developer at all, maybe one could designate folders as banks? EG: Folder 1 equals Bank Select 1, so up to 128 "patches" / samples with their associated parameters in there.
        That sounds good - the way they order presets on the presets page (and how they’re called with program change) is through alphabetical order by preset name - those presets reside in the root directory.

loading samples might take more horsepower but I bet they could do it.

im going to cross my fingers that this feature gets added.

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post

That sounds good - the way they order presets on the presets page (and how they’re called with program change) is through alphabetical order by preset name - those presets reside in the root directory.
          Personally I think that is not a very smart way to order the presets, as it pretty much defeats the reason for having the feature at all. What If I want to load up my preset again via a PC from a session saved in my DAW, but in the meantime, I created another preset that comes in the alphabet before it? If you only provide one bank of PC, at least include a way to assign PCs to presets definitely. A workaround might be to just start the preset name with a number, like "!001_Dance_Mania_Kit" or something similar, but, well, it's a workaround.

I do see that 1010music is not really a company coming from a "MIDI background", but this is all rather trivial stuff that any user of MIDI gear in the 80ies already took for granted. I mean, just look at the extensive MIDI implementations in the back of every Roland / Yamaha / Korg digital synth or sampler!

Comment

Personally I think that is not a very smart way to order the presets, as it pretty much defeats the reason for having the feature at all. What If I want to load up my preset again via a PC from a session saved in my DAW, but in the meantime, I created another preset that comes in the alphabet before it? If you only provide one bank of PC, at least include a way to assign PCs to presets definitely. A workaround might be to just start the preset name with a number, like "!001_Dance_Mania_Kit" or something similar, but, well, it's a workaround.

I do see that 1010music is not really a company coming from a "MIDI background", but this is all rather trivial stuff that any user of MIDI gear in the 80ies already took for granted. I mean, just look at the extensive MIDI implementations in the back of every Roland / Yamaha / Korg digital synth or sampler!
            The way you can order them how you wish is to add numbers to the beginnings of the preset names. It’s a simple solution and it works.

Comment

Working...
            X