More Pads/Cells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Pads/Cells?

Hello! I apologize if this has been asked for already, but I searched and didn't find anything about it. I simply wanted to ask if it's possible to have more than one page of pads? Not sure if memory is an issue for pads that would contain samples, but I for one would love to have even one extra page of pads and at least one extra page of sequencer cells -- would come in very handy especially when sequencing external gear. More than happy to discuss further with anyone if interested. Thanks so much!

Originally posted by himlao808 View Post
    Hello! I apologize if this has been asked for already, but I searched and didn't find anything about it. I simply wanted to ask if it's possible to have more than one page of pads? Not sure if memory is an issue for pads that would contain samples, but I for one would love to have even one extra page of pads and at least one extra page of sequencer cells -- would come in very handy especially when sequencing external gear. More than happy to discuss further with anyone if interested. Thanks so much!
    Because of Polyphony and effects, it's possible to max out the processor with only 16 pads...

That said a second page which was meant just for external sequencing, and this page contained per pad midi ins and outs is an exciting idea.

This would allow all the sample pads to be used for internal sounds without overlapping with 16 channels of sequencing.

Comment

A second page for external midi i find problematic, cause jamming with the sequences would involve heavy page switching...
      I would like a second page of sequences, but in the flexible way you can set them up now.
      On the other hand, one page of sequences is a good limitation to stay focused. I love some of my gear just for the limitations it has.

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post

That said a second page which was meant just for external sequencing, and this page contained per pad midi ins and outs is an exciting idea.

This would allow all the sample pads to be used for internal sounds without overlapping with 16 channels of sequencing.
        I'd prefer two separate pages. One for samples, one for external midi sequencing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Pimiento View Post

I'd prefer two separate pages. One for samples, one for external midi sequencing.
          Some annoying Elektron product limitations are also assets.

For example, on the Digitone, though none of the internal synth tracks output midi, the amount of power you get on the midi tracks is substantial and it makes what and how you’re controlling external devices super clear.

If the Blackbox had 16 external midi tracks on top of the 16 internal pad tracks it would be similar in style to the Elektron devices and make it super clear for Elektron users on top of making that element very clear for a user new to both Blackbox and Elektron.

This would totally eliminate the argument around how best to implement midi thru/out.

You could tack on external sequencing to an internal beat and never be confused about where the midi was coming from.

Another cool idea that would make this more powerful would be the ability to link external pads to internal pads with an on/off setting in the pad info section.

The best of both worlds.

Comment

I'm not sure I would like separate pages for pads and external sequences, actually (I agree with Zapman). What I had in mind was more of a way to move to a second page of pads and sequences. Since sequences and pads are intrinsically related, I figured you'd want the extra page of pads as well as the extra page of sequences to match. My personal workflow is to trigger sequences containing pads and external devices simultaneously so having to move from a page of pad sequences to a page of ext sequences would be a bit cumbersome.

I'm coming to the BlackBox from an mpc1000 with the latest JJ OS, so I have to admit that what I really want is for the BlackBox to be a tiny MPC (kidding, of course) ! ;-)

Comment

I use the sequences in the way that every sequence holds a single instrument, single melody/chords/bassline.
              I combine those in the song sections.
              This gives more freedom to creat/change/expand combinations later.
              I see no relation between pads cells and sequences, but i try to use the sequences rows to structure the elements:
              Lower sequences row for rhythm, 2nd row for percussion, etc.
              Having only 16 sequencing slots is quite challenging to build a complete song with just the blackbox, but a good limitation to keep you focused.

Rereading all posts here also makes me think an additional 16 pad slots which act as external midi/midi through selectors would be the best solution.
              But i don't see a way to e.g. reroute a sequence to another midi channel or duplicate a sequence to another midi channel.
              From the RS7000 i am coming from, there is the concept of tracks and patterns. The track defines the destination midi channel, mute state etc, whereas a pattern is assigned to one ore more tracks.

Comment

I thought an extra couple of pages was quite a nice idea for being able to explore ideas. I used to have an sp404 and liked using banks of pads to set up drums in a bank and a sample in another maybe a bass sample in another, resampling as I went along. Polyphony was always a limitation with this so I never really tried to do more with it than I could (it wouldn’t let me) I figure if you could have some extra banks it’d allow for greater creative freedom and easier editing together of resampled material. They could make it so you could only use the pads on the current page but you could swap samples amongst those pages. But that’s just how I work I guess and it won’t be for everyone.

I also liked the idea of extra sequence pages or some kind of alternate states where it has saved mute settings etc so sequencing events can be easily programmed.

Midi blows my mind, the thought of being able to send sequences to 16 other devices is nuts in the best possible way but if it can be done I’m all for it let’s get all we can out of the BB to the point it doesn’t effect sound quality or make it too complicated.
                Last edited by Blacksox; 07-07-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Had a thought on this today: what about double clicking the white buttons for extra options? Like double clicking the pad button to get to a pop up that lets you select another page of pads? Same for sequences? Or, perhaps double clicking would toggle through available pages? Just a thought...

Comment

Working...
                  X