Performance control mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance control mode

At the moment, critical things for a performance are scattered over several menus and pages. For me, a live performance consists of actions like:

starting/stopping or muting/unmuting
    applying filters
    adjusting levels
    applying effects
    adjusting effects

Let's think how we could streamline this.

One idea would be using an external controller which is mapped to all controls which shall be manipulated. (Assuming that this feature will be implemented in the future)
    But this would require a lot of preparation and the presence of a controller which is most likely bigger than the blackbox itself.

I'm thinking about a native approach. There are 4 encoders, two buttons and a touchscreen available. That's not bad. Here's a little mockup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbox_performance.png
Views:	42
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	6472
    The light blue squares on the bottom of the pads are the play progress. The other colored squares indicate the applied parameters to a pad. The encoders could control the parameters which are displayed next to them on the screen. Touching one of the rectangles next to the encoder could open a "assign" mode where pads can be assigned to the parameters.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbox_performance_volume.png
Views:	33
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6473

The "single pad edit" button on the top left could open a mode where a pad could be selected and all it's parameters tweaked at the same time. Or maybe even more pads?

Another idea would be adding a XY pad to this which could be toggled somehow.

All the stuff could be initially configured pressing the configure/assign button on the top right.

What do you think?

If you want to edit the diagram:

I created it using the draw.io web app. You can edit a copy of it here (very long link).

I like it... I also agree we need more live control of the sound for performance purposes. Your suggestion combines many of the different wishlist items together.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that the 1010 team seem focused on making sure the Blackbox can be used equally well by people with color blindness as well as people without it.

For that reason you may want to pitch a way to do this without needing colors - or rather how to do it where colors would enhance but not be required in order for the functionality to work.

Comment

I would like to have an option to turn on for colorblind people rather than making the whole device adapted to both colorblind and people without colorblindness. Or perhaps an option to costumize your own colors. In that way you can make your Black Box more adapted to the user.

Comment

I'm sure that we can refine this interface so that it's friendly to the color blind. However, from a usability point of view, a dedicated option for a color blind friendly interface would be indeed a better choice. Colors are a very essential design element and not using them in the first place would be not that fair for the majority of users.
        I think customizing colors for this would be overkill, though.

Comment

Working...
        X