Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Load mode

Just a thought:

Blackbox allows you to emulate Kits via Presets. So you can make up a bunch of samples/loops/etc and save it as a 'Preset' (with or without Sequences/Sections) However, if you want to use it again - you have to load it first before you add anything else, as you can't subsequently load a Preset without overwriting what you've done.

I frequently start with some samples (off my phone) or noodle with some tunes .. then want to add some beats to it. Off we go and load, one-by-one a Tom, Kick, Snare .. .. .. but .. what if we could load a 'Kit' into some spare slots??

So, my idea is this. Pick a Slot on the PADS screen and LOAD .. but with a new option of 'KIT' or 'LOAD KIT' or ??
    This would open Preset Browser and allow you to choose one. However, in this mode, it would only do the following:
    - Load as many Slots as fits from the Slot you picked to start with (if you went far-left on 2nd row - it would load 1st 8 from Preset)
    - Ignores Sequences and Song Sections - but preserves Mix, Effect, Loop Mode, Root Note, etc, etc for each PAD

This would be especially useful now that we have copy/paste on the PADS screen as you could easily do the following to create a 'KIT'
    - you've got a Track(preset) going well and have complied some nice Beat/Loops you want to save for use later
    - Save as new Preset (making sure you've saved the current Preset !!!)
    - Open new Preset and remove stuff you don't want in the Kit
    - Rearrange what you've kept into the 'lowest' slots (bottom left -> right - heading up)
    - Save Preset

If, for example you had a 6 piece drum kit and 2 loops, you could reduce it to a nice contiguous 8 PAD kit. Then after starting a new track, if there was space, you could simply load up your new favourite kit. You could then even load another on top etc.

Obviously I've shown personal bias here at starting at bottom left and going right then up. But of course, it could always start top left and go down.
    Please note that I've devised this in such away that the current Preset format and file/storage arrangement does NOT require changing - simply an adjunct to loading

agreed. It would be handy to be able to load a sample set without loading all the sequencing data, step lengths, etc., as you do when you load a saved preset and start overwriting it to make a new version. I have done this same thing, loaded the preset, spent a bunch of time to clear all the data out, in order to try out some different ideas with the same sounds.

Comment

I have a drum kit template with 64 one-shots in each cell that I use as a starting point. That way it's quick and easy to dial up the right kit for whatever I'm working on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I have a drum kit template with 64 one-shots in each cell that I use as a starting point. That way it's quick and easy to dial up the right kit for whatever I'm working on.
        Are you referring to slices, or how you get 64 one shots in each cell ? Can you explain a bit further ?
        I was already thinking about putting a complete kit in one sample and then just use slicing and copy paste to assign the different slices to pads.
        Or have on big sample with lots of BD hits and then just change slice-nr until i find a one that fits (dont know if that would be quicker way than using the file browser)
        Btw, I really like the initial idea of beaker. That would make the search for a workaround unnecessary.
        Last edited by Zapman; 09-04-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I have one .wav file with multiple samples in it, slice it up and then scroll through the active slice, or program a beat using a bunch different slices within the same cell. In this manner you could load 20 x 6 sample drum kits into one cell. It does end up being more immediate than the file browser, especially if you have a lot of folders on the micro SD card!

• Zapman
          Zapman commented
          Editing a comment
          @Dan But then you wouldn't be able to have all options of pitching, individual outs, fx send mute etc ....

Good idea !

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
          Just a thought:

Blackbox allows you to emulate Kits via Presets. So you can make up a bunch of samples/loops/etc and save it as a 'Preset' (with or without Sequences/Sections) However, if you want to use it again - you have to load it first before you add anything else, as you can't subsequently load a Preset without overwriting what you've done.

I frequently start with some samples (off my phone) or noodle with some tunes .. then want to add some beats to it. Off we go and load, one-by-one a Tom, Kick, Snare .. .. .. but .. what if we could load a 'Kit' into some spare slots??

So, my idea is this. Pick a Slot on the PADS screen and LOAD .. but with a new option of 'KIT' or 'LOAD KIT' or ??
          This would open Preset Browser and allow you to choose one. However, in this mode, it would only do the following:
          - Load as many Slots as fits from the Slot you picked to start with (if you went far-left on 2nd row - it would load 1st 8 from Preset)
          - Ignores Sequences and Song Sections - but preserves Mix, Effect, Loop Mode, Root Note, etc, etc for each PAD

This would be especially useful now that we have copy/paste on the PADS screen as you could easily do the following to create a 'KIT'
          - you've got a Track(preset) going well and have complied some nice Beat/Loops you want to save for use later
          - Save as new Preset (making sure you've saved the current Preset !!!)
          - Open new Preset and remove stuff you don't want in the Kit
          - Rearrange what you've kept into the 'lowest' slots (bottom left -> right - heading up)
          - Save Preset

If, for example you had a 6 piece drum kit and 2 loops, you could reduce it to a nice contiguous 8 PAD kit. Then after starting a new track, if there was space, you could simply load up your new favourite kit. You could then even load another on top etc.

Obviously I've shown personal bias here at starting at bottom left and going right then up. But of course, it could always start top left and go down.
          Please note that I've devised this in such away that the current Preset format and file/storage arrangement does NOT require changing - simply an adjunct to loading
          I love the ability to load pads from a preset as a kit. Great idea.

Comment

Working...
          X