Trim Start/End of Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Start/End of Clips

Hi, I'm really enjoying BB so far, but I found something really important missing from "Clip" type sample pads which is trimming. The option of trimming start and end of sample is very important in Clips. I have some loops with 3 bars, and there is no way to sync it correctly with what currently available. If we have an option to trim start/end of clips, or maybe trim it somewhere and save that sample as new file, then load the new one as clip, any of those options would be awesome and very helpful. Thank a lot for your great work and support.

While I think your suggestion would be an useful feature, there's an option "beatcount" to make your clip sync correctly.

Comment

"Beatcount" is not going to help syncing some of the loops, especially if these loops are not on standard quantize, or on odd number of bars.

Comment

Originally posted by Msaffar View Post
        Hi, I'm really enjoying BB so far, but I found something really important missing from "Clip" type sample pads which is trimming. The option of trimming start and end of sample is very important in Clips. I have some loops with 3 bars, and there is no way to sync it correctly with what currently available. If we have an option to trim start/end of clips, or maybe trim it somewhere and save that sample as new file, then load the new one as clip, any of those options would be awesome and very helpful. Thank a lot for your great work and support.
        There's s trim function, which came with one of the later updates. Its a bit hidden in the file browser ... hope this helps.

Comment

It would be enough if we had, cut the clip in.
          Full
          Half
          1/4
          And select the part.

For me sometimes loops have a slight variation at the end that I usually like to cut in order to simplify it. I have been wanting to do that on blackbox many times.

Congrats on the product, it made our live rig much better.

Comment

You can trim but you need to set the pad mode to Sample temporarily.
            1 set mode to sample
            2 use the top two knobs on the Wav screen to set the start and end points desired.
            3 Touch the name of the sample at top of screen to go to the Wav file management screen.
            4 touch file, then trim. This is a destructive edit so consider using file save as before you trim.
            5 set the pad mode back to clip.

We realize this is a bit hidden but we haven’t found a better place for it. We welcome your feedback on this.

Also, I am in the process of updating the User manual and I will be sure to cover this procedure in there.

Comment

Thanks Zapman, and Christine for answering this. Yeah it's a bit hidden, but great to have it available thanks a lot. I tried it, open Wav as sample, set start and end point, then trim; but BB load up same old sample again (without trim), later I found the trimmed sample on my SD root (like a temp location). It was trimmed fine, but not sure if that's a normal behavior, will try saving the file before trimming and see if it's doing the same thing.
              Christine, updating user manual and getting all previous releases notes in one place would be awesome!, thanks in advance and keep up the good work!.

Comment

Originally posted by Msaffar View Post
                Thanks Zapman, and Christine for answering this. Yeah it's a bit hidden, but great to have it available thanks a lot. I tried it, open Wav as sample, set start and end point, then trim; but BB load up same old sample again (without trim), later I found the trimmed sample on my SD root (like a temp location). It was trimmed fine, but not sure if that's a normal behavior, will try saving the file before trimming and see if it's doing the same thing.
                Christine, updating user manual and getting all previous releases notes in one place would be awesome!, thanks in advance and keep up the good work!.
                Hmm, I just tried it and my blackbox put the trimmed file in the same folder as the original WAV. I did a "save As" first and made a copy. The copy went in the same folder as the original. I then changed the length and did a file-> Trim, and the same file in the original folder was trimmed.

Do keep in mind that when you do a trim, you are also modifying the pad, because the length gets updated. This means you need to save the Preset, or else it will revert back to think it's the old length until the first time you turn the length knob. When I tried this, it did load the updated version of the WAV file, but the length was still set to the old length because the pad parameters weren't saved. So the moral of the story is: save your preset after you trim a WAV. Let me know if you are seeing something different.

Comment

Yes I understand that procedure but thats not as convenient since it can be hard to cut a perfect loop.
                  In my opinion, a really nice way to do this even with its limitations would be to able to select in clip mode, half the loop, or a quarter by dividing the total lenght in 2 or 4 in a non destructive way. Just like adjusting start and end position but instead of in ms increments, in divisions of the total length. To have perfect loops only. Hope I explained myself better this time.
                  Thanks for thw great support.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Fedez View Post
                    Yes I understand that procedure but thats not as convenient since it can be hard to cut a perfect loop.
                    In my opinion, a really nice way to do this even with its limitations would be to able to select in clip mode, half the loop, or a quarter by dividing the total lenght in 2 or 4 in a non destructive way. Just like adjusting start and end position but instead of in ms increments, in divisions of the total length. To have perfect loops only. Hope I explained myself better this time.
                    Thanks for thw great support.
                    Couldn't you use the slice mode with grid division fo that ?
                    An 'extract slice to other pad' function would then be really welcome to further work on a specific part (own fx, individual out, tune, play polyphonic, own CCs etc.)

Comment

Yes but then ot wont time stretch the loop, or yes?
                      ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Fedez View Post
                        Yes but then ot wont time stretch the loop, or yes?
                        ​​​​​
                        Thats right. So what you want is currently not possible.
                        But with that 'extract to pad' function this would be a nice solution for this, and would also give so much additional options.

Comment

I just want to make the clip shorter. Divide it 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 of the total length.

Comment

Working...
                          X