Mount the microSD card in the OS via USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount the microSD card in the OS via USB

I think it would be nice to have the microSD card mounted on the computer as an external drive, when connecting the BB to it via the USB cable. This way, you could upload new samples faster, without taking the card out of the device. This also helps when you forget where you placed the microSD to SD adapter

+1 for this! I don't mind if the device can't be used while in this mode, by the way.

Comment

No thanks. Much effort for implementation for almost no gain.

Comment

Yes please.

(Aside: Even getting the freakin' SD card out of the slot is a pain!)

Comment

That would be cool indeed. That would allow easily dropping samples into it through a computer or mobile device without adapters.

Even cooler would also be allowing to mount external disks or USB keys on the BB itself !

Comment

I've started to feel this would be a better approach. The constant having to power down the unit, remove the card, open on my laptop and so on gets a bit tedious.

If you're just dropping sample packs etc onto the BB and then sequencing them then I can see why you might not feel that opening the BB as an external drive on a PC would be a thing. However, I for one use mainly my own processed sounds. They usually get eq's etc on my laptop. So I have to get them from the laptop to the unit all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Pimiento View Post
              I've started to feel this would be a better approach. The constant having to power down the unit, remove the card, open on my laptop and so on gets a bit tedious.
              Are you aware that you don't need to power down the blackbox to remove the SD card?

And I hope that you boys are aware that the blackbox is sensitive for electrical interferences via USB which affects the audio output. To make this work without re-plugging the blackbox to the PC, you also need an active (powered) USB hub because a normal USB port usually doesn't deliver enough current to power the blackbox. It's also possible that reading the SD card via USB might requires a "card reader mode" which you have to activate on the blackbox in order to make it work properly with the PC.

Still not convinced. I'd rather have LFOs, EQs and a resonance control

Comment

Originally posted by Klaustrophil View Post

Are you aware that you don't need to power down the blackbox to remove the SD card?

And I hope that you boys are aware that the blackbox is sensitive for electrical interferences via USB which affects the audio output. To make this work without re-plugging the blackbox to the PC, you also need an active (powered) USB hub because a normal USB port usually doesn't deliver enough current to power the blackbox. It's also possible that reading the SD card via USB might requires a "card reader mode" which you have to activate on the blackbox in order to make it work properly with the PC.

Still not convinced. I'd rather have LFOs, EQs and a resonance control
                Sounds a bit dangerous to do that. Never tried as I think this can corrupt the sdcard at some point. Especially if you forget putting it back into it before using the BB.

Comment

Originally posted by jayneural View Post

Sounds a bit dangerous to do that. Never tried as I think this can corrupt the sdcard at some point. Especially if you forget putting it back into it before using the BB.
                  I talk from experience. It corrupted a load of files on my SD card. Thankfully I had the card backed up.

Before you all get on my case about not needing to. If you're happy just taking in and out without switching the unit off, then. you carry on. I'm not taking any chances.

Comment

Now the question is, what would be easiest and more useful :
                    1. Ability to mount the sd card inside the BB from another device connected over USB
                    2. Ability to mount an external drive on the BB and import/load samples

Being able to do both would of course be the best.

Comment

For the record, you do not have to power down to remove/replace the microSD card. I do this a dozen times every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X