Midi Thru Box / USB not sending midi-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi Thru Box / USB not sending midi-out

I'm having a hard time trying to control other gear through Bluebox. I want to use Bluebox as my main Clock source. Most of my gear only have MIDI in with bulid in sequencers. Mother 32, MFB 522 etc. So I just need som extra MIDI out to Clock/ Start/ Stop external gear.

I bought the MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru v2 but unfortunately it wont work with Bluebox. And I have no idea why. MIDI Solutions supports both 3.3V and 5V MIDI and as far as I know the Bluebox sends out 5V? It Should work.

As another way of getting it all in sync I've tried to use Korg SQ-1 through Bluebox USB. The Korg SQ-1 will send MIDI clock signal/ Start/ Stop to Bluebox but I just can't make it work the other way around. As it seems, Bluebox do not send Clock/ Start/ Stop through the USB?

So basically I'm stuck. Maybe the Kenton MIDI Thru 5 be a better match with it's powered 9V?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

EDIT: There are several posts about the MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru v2 - my bad - and it won't work. Anyone tried the Kenton MIDI Thru 5?
    Last edited by thebox; 03-09-2021, 12:25 PM.

I don't own an SQ-1, so I can't verify IRL, but I don't think it's capable of receiving a clock over usb.

Comment

Originally posted by peanutbuttersolution View Post
      I don't own an SQ-1, so I can't verify IRL, but I don't think it's capable of receiving a clock over usb.
      SQ-1 is very much capable to receive midi clock, start and stop from usb. I use it quite often with both Logic and Ableton. But BB can't do that, as it is.

I just received Kenton MIDI Thru 5 and it seems to work like a charm with BB. Maybe there should be a sticky post about known midi-limitations with other gear?
      Last edited by thebox; 03-15-2021, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Hello,
        I've made a simple test:
        I've plugged the Bluebox MIDI Out directly into a Digitakt MIDI In, Digitakt being configured to receive transport messages (Play, Stop...).
        Hitting play on the Bluebox should trigger Play on the Digitakt.
        It was not working.
        I am on 1.0.8

Maybe there's a bug here, or MIDI Out functionalities are not implemented yet.

Comment

I'm trying to use my Sensel Morph to control my Hydrasynth via the Bluebox, but can't get it to work.

1010music said it's supposed to work, and then they stopped responding: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKNOyAUh...3258509/?hl=en

Other users, like the ones here, are saying MIDI Out functionalities are non-existent, contrary to 1010music's statements: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...uebox/gn368x6/

It would be nice to get a clear answer from the source.

Comment

Originally posted by discoBleep View Post
            I'm trying to use my Sensel Morph to control my Hydrasynth via the Bluebox, but can't get it to work.

1010music said it's supposed to work, and then they stopped responding: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKNOyAUh...3258509/?hl=en

Other users, like the ones here, are saying MIDI Out functionalities are non-existent, contrary to 1010music's statements: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...uebox/gn368x6/

It would be nice to get a clear answer from the source.

There's definitely some overall MIDI issues with BB. No MIDI out from USB. And furthermore I experience some drop outs using the MIDI plugs OUT.

I had the impression that the team behind BB were pretty cool and in close contact with their users and community. But that does not seem to be the case. Sadly.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              c'mon now.

Actually, we are pretty cool. The bluebox deserves a round of updates and adjustments, for sure. And please know that we are working towards that. We are also aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

For the record, we do read every post. We do not hang out on social media. The forum and our contact form are the best ways to contact us.

Comment

• discoBleep
              discoBleep commented
              Editing a comment
              You may be cool, but saying so yourself might give off the wrong impression. I appreciate that you read every post, as you should. I would assume the disdain here is due to the lack of response.

It also sounds like someone you don't know has access to your Instagram account and is telling your audience lies about your product. You may want to look into that.

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, we also have a sense of humor. If you have a complaint or issue that requires immediate attention you are welcome to email us at [email protected].

• discoBleep
              discoBleep commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha... yeah, that's pretty funny. I'm all good. I got a response within a few hours, and I'm stoked to hear that you're working on a fix. I just felt bad for the others. Going 10 days without a response doesn't seem very humorous.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Actually, we are pretty cool.
            Well, I knew that :-) And beside the MIDI hassle I think BB is a brilliant invention. I really love it.

Free advice: be upfront with known issues and bugs. This makes people less frustrated and me less annoying.

Thank you for the update.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              I wasn't aware that we were not upfront. We don't deny bugs and we certainly do not hide things. You'll see this once you've been around a bit. Thanks for the feedback.
          Working...
          X