No announcement yet.

Freezing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suffering freezing from a brand new Bluebox with no midi connected. Pads and screen become unresponsive. Unit is running very hot compared to blackbox. Considering returning the unit :\ Encountered freezes both on original firmware (1.0.8) and 1.0.11 (latest as of yesterday). Unit is operating with the factory microsd card and using the factory AC adaptor (US) Seems to happen randomly when the unit is idle, about once every 4-8 hours.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you using the factory USB power cable?

I am also experiencing the freezing, but only when recording.

My setup is as follows:
    - 8 channels (4 mono, 4 stereo)
    - factory USB cable
    - Zoia connected to TRS midi input of the bluebox
    - the zoia is sending a volume sidechain signal to all channels except 1 (so quite a lot of midi data)
    - Sandisk Extreme 32GB card (although also happens with supplied card)

I can't actually use the supplied power adapter as it doesn't fit my local New Zealand power sockets, but I have tried a 6 port 60W charging hub and a 12W apple adapter.

The freezing only seems to occur when recording (but it doesn't matter how many channels). While recording, I notice that all of the screen updating becomes laggy. Then between 1 and 12 minutes later, the device locks up but audio keeps playing.

This doesn't seem to happen when I disconnect from the midi input.

When the device freezes, all of the select button lights come on full (i'm guessing the PWM stalls?)

---

Has 1010music been able to reproduce the bug yet?

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      we have a few users reporting issues from the ZOIA. Stay Tuned.

I'm also experiencing freezing while leaving the Bluebox on for 4-8 hours. The last few times have been in different projects while performing different tasks. Sometimes it will freeze while sitting there on, waiting for me to play something through in my Synth Jam project. That particular project is just a mixer for my Teenage Engineering stuff. Last weekend I had a clocking issue with that project, after sitting idle for a few hours, I went to put down an OP-1 part but the sound was crackly like a clocking issue, unplugging the power and rebooting fixed this. Then last night while filming a performance, it froze on playback mid-take. For that setup I'm running 5 stems on playback while mixing inputs.

Latest firmware, factory USB cable and identical to factory sd card (my original card showed up DOA). OP-Z sending midi clock to input, ZOIA accepting clock from output, nothing plugged into the USB host. I'm going to ditch the clocking setup for a week or so and see if that's where the problem is coming from.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you share the firmware version as a number? Are you using the factory wall adapter?

• idylmind
      idylmind commented
      Editing a comment
      Firmware 1.0.11
      Yes, factory power supply.

same midi issue here

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      can you describe your setup and tell which device is sending MIDI? And how?

Also having regular freezes.
    midi in only to enable start syncing on rec, with octatrack sending midi clock. No recording actually happening. Just using as a mixer. USB powered. No midi controller drawing power.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Factory power cable and adapter?

• pvoris
      pvoris commented
      Editing a comment
      I am using a tsr dual ended cable. But I'm pretty sure the USB is standard. FWIW, my setup runs directly to a RK-002. I try to minimize adapters between things as it can become more difficult to track down issues - particularly given the variance in type and quality of generic MIDI cables out there.

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure what you mean by "USB is standard." I'm asking about the power cable - not the MDI cable... are you using the supplied wall adapter and USB Power cable?

I have used this mixer probably five other nights since I got it, and have never had it freeze...before tonight.

Tonight, I had it taking MIDI In from a Kenton Thru 5 which was taking its MIDI from a Digitakt, which was the main clock. The other devices (also in-only) were an Analog Four and a Digitone. Only the Digitakt was doing MIDI Out, and as I said, the Bluebox was taking MIDI In from the same MIDI splitter that was used for everything else.

The Bluebox was freezing up on me fairly quickly. I've felt it run hotter than that, so it seemed like it was not heat related.

Also, I was running my IEMs through the phones jack on the Bluebox, and I never once lost audio, so I have reason to believe the -entire- mixer wasn't dead, just the UI was hard frozen. I can't swear to that, but it seems like more than just passive electronics, given that you need Cue set up to hear anything in the first place.

I have only ever used the 1010-supplied power adapter and USB cable, and the same was true this evening.

Firmware 1.0.11, same as the last five times I've used it.

Please advise...

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your patience. There have been several users with issues and all of them (you included) are using a Digitakt as the MIDI clock source. My Digitakt delivers today! We will get to the bottom of this. Stay tuned

I'm also experiencing the same issue. Freezing after 5 - 60 minutes when using an Akai LPD-8 plugged into the rear USB port. Interestingly - also freezing when I go through my laptop into a Keystep and into the TRS input on the front so I don't believe power out to the LPD is a variable.

This only seems to happen when I've interacted with the LPD-8. Just plugging in doesn't seem to trigger it. Also it only seems to freeze when I'm messing with mapped parameters in the Bluebox - other midi messages don't seem to have an effect.

I'm on 1.0.11 with the factory power supply and cable.

Comment

Hey All. I love the Bluebox. Its been a perfect addition to my setup .....but mine has been freezing regularly too, in particular when I've had a midi IN and a midi OUT concurrently, with x4 audio inputs, plus the headphone/cue out.

I'm using the supplied USB lead and my setup has been: KorgSQ-1 as master clock (controlling an MS-20 mini) & sending midi IN - into the bluebox. Then midi OUT from Bluebox to Drumbrute, which then daisy-chains midi to a Arturia Beatstep and finally into a Volca Sample. These instruments all send their audio to the Bluebox Ins.

The freezing can take anywhere between 30 seconds to 10 minutes of continuous play. The box display freezes and all buttons are unresponsive. And if recording, only about 30 seconds of the mix is preserved after a reset....

Is there a conflict between the project midi clock and the input midi clock that causes a seizure, I'm wondering?

Any tips, most welcome!! Thanks.

Comment

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        That is possible. We are still looking for the culprit here. Can you try moving your bluebox to the end of your MIDI chain? Disconnect the MIDI Out cable. Does the freezing happen? Is there anything connected to the USB Device port (bluebox)?

Steve If that can help, I tried shortening the midi chain to have it at the end, and just with a TR-6S and the Blackbox before it, it will freeze. Be it through serial topology or through the RK-06.

As soon as I disconnect it from the midi chain, no freezes. Output does not seem to have a problem.

Could it be a memory leak happening on the handling and sending through of midi messages ?

This isn’t something I had on the Blackbox. So I’m thinking it could also be the type A/B Jack MIDI switching that could be forced in the preferences if that can make it more stable.

Also I’ve been a bit involved in another project with switchable mini Jack midi ports (A/B) and the dev ended up abandoning the A/B switching because of a hardware fault that made the firmware freeze. I don’t know enough about this hardware to understand why but just saying in case it could help progressing in this issue.

Comment

I’m also having issues with the UI freezing, however mine is more or less always frozen. As soon as it boots, it takes 5 - 10 seconds for the UI to reflect any change from the knobs. I have nothing plugged in scepter the USB power cable. I have tried the factory cable/power supply, I have tried others. With certain cables it won’t even boot, but even with the factory cable it boots (or flashes firmware) very slowly.

is there an easy way to distinguish the factory USB from the 3 other black USB cables I have?

I’m currently running 1.0.11, but I have seen the same behavior on 1.1.2 and 1.1.3

UPDATE: I tried flashing 1.1.3 from a newly formatted (Fat32) SD card and while the firmware update was successful, the actual flash took 5 minutes and it was almost 10 before it had rebooted into the mixer screen. the first time i flashed a firmware update to this unit, it took around a minute to flash and was rebooted in under 5.

another potentially useful detail is that only the touchscreen and knobs lag. the white buttons and the transport controls respond as expected (slightly laggy, but nothing abnormal). I'm starting to think this is not the same UI freeze that others are reporting.
        Last edited by hugenerd; 10-17-2021, 03:33 PM. Reason: Adding more details

Comment

Working...
        X