Help with reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with reverb

I've been trying to dial in a nice reverb for days and there's no way. I know this comes from my lack of knowledge, but I'm about to buy a boss RV-6 and it really annoys me to have the feeling that I could surely achieve what I want with the bluebox, but I just can't figure out how reverb works..

I'm basically trying to figure something good for ambient, something good for "general use" (a "reasonable" room reverb), and something akin to a shimmer. And I'm also trying to figure out what each parameter does. I move things around, and I can't make a mental map.

- I figured out that the higher the resonance, the more "definition" the echoes have. At max resonance it's almost like a delay.
    - The hi and lo cut are pretty clear, and I can clearly hear the difference, but I do feel like the max values for each are beyond the hearing range (there's no difference changing max hi cut until about 2 o'clock-ish, that I can hear, similar for low c), and I don't know what should I be aiming for for different "presets".
    - I have an idea of what mod speed and depth do, but I have no control over them, other than "on and off", I can achieve no subtlety.
    - Spread makes no sense to me. I hear a distinct difference at far left, but everything else is.. idk.
    - Can't figure out if the time delay is used in conjunction with the early reflections or not (if they add up, or if they're independent)
    - Can't figure out why would there be a difference between the time delay and the room size, what it does, or what it should do.
    - Don't get diffusion

Those are a lot of things I don't understand, I don't expect an explanation on each param, but if someone could explain in general terms how it works, maybe with a couple settings examples that will show the difference, I'd be ever so grateful

Cheers. Really waiting for those FX presets update. And having "algorithms" that don't change the actual algorithm, but limits the setting ranges to create specific effects would be amazing
    Thank you

Thanks for raising this issue. We have heard many times that the reverb is a little too complicated and needs presets. We have improvements in the works. Please stay tuned.

Comment

• Lacrymology
      Lacrymology commented
      Editing a comment
      While you're at it, it'd be great if presets would limit the range of the knobs, so if you're in a room preset, you wouldn't be able to make it go *too* crazy. Maybe with a way to override it, or not as the default, but still.

It'd also give us more precision when moving the knobs, although I think there's knob velocity implemented, and if there is, it's one of the better ones I've seen

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks for raising this issue. We have heard many times that the reverb is a little too complicated and needs presets. We have improvements in the works. Please stay tuned.

Great!

/Wesslan

Comment

Working...
    X