Sudden bit crushing / artifacts on audio output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden bit crushing / artifacts on audio output

In the middle of a jam, suddenly there was extreme bit crushing audible. The device is running the 1.1.3 firmware. My constellation and what I tried:
    - At the moment the issue it appeared, I didn't do anything on the bluebox
    - I had an external MIDI clock running to make use of the tempo synced delay.
    - Starting/stopping/physically removing the MIDI source had no effect on the issue
    - Clock was restarted several times before
    - I used the inputs 1, 2, 4, 5
    - The issue was audible on all these channels
    - The issue was audible on all outputs
    - The internal effects (compressor, delay, reverb) had no audible effect on the issue
    - The issue was only audible when there was any input signal on a unmuted channel
    - The power source was the boxed one
    - Uptime was at least an hour, could have been 2 or more
    - A power cycle "fixed" the issue

I made a recording with my phone wich I can share later.
    Last edited by Klaustrophil; 12-12-2021, 04:29 PM.

I've been having a this quite a lot recently. I can't work out the trigger but I've wondered if it's too hot a signal coming in as I think it's happened when I use a send / return.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. It should not have anything to do with the input level as the box is made to work with Eurorack audio levels.

Comment

Please let us know how this issue unfolds. We would be happy to check out your unit--especially if it shows the problem easily.

Comment

Any word on this? I am having the same issue and cannot figure out what the trigger is.

Comment

Let us investigate and post back.

Comment

For those of you experiencing this problem, would you please run an experiment for us? Try the following. Please turn down the volume on your speakers as there is a loud sine wave coming.
              • Power down the unit
              • While powering up, hold the A (upper left) button
              • Press B (upper right) a few times until the Sinewave test appears. You should hear a very loud and clean tone on all outputs.
              • Let this run for a long time, perhaps overnight
              When you check back later, do you get the bitcrushing noise? Please let us know your results. We are doing some checking in the meantime.

Thank you.

Comment

The next time you see this issue, please take note of the following questions:
                1. Which inputs are affected? You can answer for each stereo input
                2. Which outputs are affected?
                3. Are the knobs still working correctly? Do they still map to the same parameter they normally would?
                Thank you.

Comment

• Klaustrophil
                  Klaustrophil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aye, aye Sir!

We now have a special build to help diagnose this problem. Please use the Contact Us form to get in touch and we will send it to you.

Thank you

Comment

It happen maybe 3-4 times for me since since one year. I think it was after maybe 1-2 hours of using BB? Not sure, it was during jam session so I restarted BB and it works again. I was thinking it could be heat problem, but i almost every time use it in the same way and it didn't happen for a long time. It's more random problem for me, but it was happen the same way.
                  There are users from around the world where outside temperature is very different. Maybe it happen when BB use a lot of CPU and outside temperature makes it even more hot? Just an idea to consider.

Comment

I also have a bit crash experience. I feel like it's happening when using a USB midi controller and clock synchronization via TRS MIDI. I'm not using a TRS MIDI clock right now. thank you.

Comment

I never used a USB MIDI controller when it happened to me.

Comment

This happened to me the other night I thought my model d had a bad osc but I realized it was happing on all inputs power off then back on fixed it but that not a good solution.
                        I had clock synced to trs midi in. btw it was a way cool effect just not intentional.

Comment

• Steve
                          Steve commented
                          Editing a comment
                          it does sound great but unexpected! We are still looking at this. Can you send or share more details?
                          which version firmware (as a number)? how are you powering (cable and wall adapter)? What is connected to the bluebox? How long was it powered on when this happened?

• therogerlima
                          therogerlima commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It did happen to me a few times as well, usually after prolonged use, or if I leave the box on overnight. I am on version 1.1.3 and using its supplied power adapter and USB cable! Cheers

I just had this again. BB had been running for a couple of hours probably. Supplied adaptor and USB cable, MIDI TRS in supplying clock, transport and level control. Firmware 1.1.3. I restarted and the problem came back almost straight away which may suggest its not something that happens due to prolonged use?

Edit - just restarted three more times and each time the bit crushing was still there. Oh dear, this doesn't look good for live use...

Another edit - shut everything down (all inputs and outputs are connected to other gear), left it 10 minutes, turned back on. Bit crushing returned within a few minutes. It seemed to coincide with me starting a sequence on a particular synth but I can't be sure. Restarted with all active inputs removed, still bitcrushing. Restarted with midi trs removed, still bitcrushing.
                        Last edited by rev-eng; 02-12-2022, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Maybe heat problem? What is room temperature? Maybe try reduce screen brightness and test it again? Yes, live use may be risky in that case

Comment

Working...
                          X