usb mass storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usb mass storage?

would be nice to leave the card in. awesome device!

please add usb access to the microsd if possible! it would be nice to leave it inserted in the device because theyre so small and wear happens and big ones arent cheap and my eyesight is going haha! i did notice it wouldnt boot when i connected directly to my computer usb. what are the power requirements?

ok so i know it wasnt advertised as part of the product, but is bluetooth or wifi a possibility with a form factor like this? i could imagine access to recorded files...

Comment

Typically, computers do not provide adequate power. The bluebox requires at least 2A @ 5V to function. Be sure to not cut corners on power.

Comment

so that means card swapping pretty much.

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          It does. I have found that I tend to have a small 'pool' of cards for each family of devices. If I take one out, I have another to go in. I also use various cards to organize my sample libraries. We hear the request for connectivity.

Or, if implemented in firmware, a mode that requires specific boot as mass storage device, hence needing less power to function.

Comment

Originally posted by jayneural View Post
          Or, if implemented in firmware, a mode that requires specific boot as mass storage device, hence needing less power to function.
          ok steve, is this the case? can this be done?

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            Almost anything is possible. How likely is another story!

I just looked at the micro sd card pins after one cycle of putting it in an out of the bluebox. Does not look like it will take this for dozens of times. I do not plan to store a big library of recordings to it. But after every session of recording you need to load the stems onto a daw for further processing. Thus every session you have to take out the sd card an re-insert it. It would be very nice to have the opportunity to just plug the USB cable onto the Computer to drop/load something to the sd-card. USB Cables tend to have a higher plug in and out durability and you can replace them without data loss. So I would also appreciate this functionality.

Comment

Would be good for the durability indeed.

external storage support from device port would be another way, also a solution in case of failure of the sdcard slot.

Comment

• DanDay
              DanDay commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes this would also work. But then would need also some additional features like copy from sd to usb and vice versa. But also a cool idea.

• Solipsvs
              Solipsvs commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah this is probably a better idea, you could leave the power plugged in. i like this one

In the time of the emergence of digital cameras there were some kind of wifi enabled sd cards which then disappeared from the market with manufacturers adding wifi directly on-device.

i wonder if wifi enabled microsd cards ever existed or exist.

Comment

• DanDay
              DanDay commented
              Editing a comment
              I hardy can imagine having a full wifi implementation on an micro sd card. Would be a killer thing. But if 1010 would implement this on blue- and black-box itself would also be satisfying :-)

• jayneural
              jayneural commented
              Editing a comment
              Or support of BT dongles through that USB host port

i own several wifi sd cards and they do actually work but they need an active sd socket with uninterrupted bus power

Comment

I don‘t know if the thread title suggests just that, but what I would find helpful is, if I could record directly onto an external HD via USB. This would be way more convenient than having to deal with tiny SD cards.

Comment

And another thing: Can the Blue Box handle 512 GB microSD cards? I‘m thinking of the Samsung EVO Plus 512GB microSD, which reads 100 MB/sec and writes 90 MB/sec. Are there any general issues with large microSDs? Are they too slow or too unreliable?

Comment

Originally posted by André Riöt View Post
                  And another thing: Can the Blue Box handle 512 GB microSD cards? I‘m thinking of the Samsung EVO Plus 512GB microSD, which reads 100 MB/sec and writes 90 MB/sec. Are there any general issues with large microSDs? Are they too slow or too unreliable?
                  Great question. Actually, larger cards do tend to work better because they allow writing in larger chunks. I have 256, 400, 512, and 1TB cards and they all work well. In terms of specs, I'd highly recommend buying a card with an 'A1' or 'A2' rating as those have provided the best outcomes for us.

Comment

Thanks! What about my first question… recording to an external HD via the rear side USB-Port - could that be a thing, in the future?

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In software, almost anything is possible. We have no current plans for that but it certainly can't hurt to ask!

cant hurt to ask... so no plans for thumb drive access on the device port? i would expect this at least to be honest and its a tad disappointing to find out its not planned

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      MicroSD cards are quite fast and inexpensive. For example, a 64GB SanDisk 'A2' card is around $18 USD. That is a lot of storage in a very tiny package. You can record 12 mono tracks for 4 hours straight and still not fill 64GB. Another good recommendation is to buy slightly larger cards. At 128GB and higher, the cards can write larger chunks of data which seems to help the bluebox during those longer sessions.

We hear you that it would be convenient and that you want it. This request is in the right place.
                  Working...
                  X