Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Record Button work with external transport play command

Hi There,

I would like to have any way of getting synced record to work with my setup. My actual problem is, that my Keystep Pro can either be synced/transport controlled from the bluebox. In that case it will not send sync/transport to other gear, or I can use the Keystep to sync/transport control everything (including the bluebox). At first glance this is ok. But if I want to have a synced recording I have to press record and play on the bluebox altogether. This will also start they KeyStep and will record in sync to the "song" sequenced on the KeyStep, but it will not trigger other sequencers attached to it.
    If I press play on the Keystep, it will start everything just right, but will only allow the Bluebox to play (not to record).

A simple way to solve this problem would be, if it was possible, to just hold the record button on the Bluebox telling it to start recording the moment I press play on the Keystep.
    Right now holding the Record button on the Bluebox is ignored if external transport triggers play. (It's just playing, not recording).

I got the Bluebox connected to the Keystep via it's USB Host (labeled Device) port. The "other" gear is connected to Keystep's two MIDI jackets.

Would be great if this could be implemented.

Cheers,
    Dan Day

Hi There,

in the mean time I maybe have got even a better idea: Implementation of an auto record feature.

Just add an option to turn auto-record on or off. If its turned on, any play command (the button on the box or via midi transport) will automatically trigger recording.
    This is a really nice feature, because after setup you can forget the bluebox and focus on your inspirational session. The bluebox will then record all the takes you make automatically and you can review them afterwards.

I think I would clearly prefer this one.

Oh and if we get to this point (and this could really be implemented) I would also like to have an option to stop recording not the moment I push on stop, but let it add a configurable tail to the recording (e.g. in seconds) to make sure the natural fade out of instruments is also recorded (and not stopped abrupt).

Cheers,
    Dan Day

Comment

• stimming
      stimming commented
      Editing a comment
      I second the auto-record feature! this and record on external sync

I second either or both of these approaches of triggering record via midi. In fact I bought it thinking it could do it already based on the first response to my post in the other thread still excited to receive it, but please implement this ... for me

Comment

For now I haven’t achieved even just sending the BPM to the Blackbox or from it through MIDI. For some reason both remain with their own BPM. Has anyone been able to sync them together ?

Comment

Originally posted by jayneural View Post
        For now I haven’t achieved even just sending the BPM to the Blackbox or from it through MIDI. For some reason both remain with their own BPM. Has anyone been able to sync them together ?
        In my setup I have connected Keystep Pro and Bluebox via USB Midi. BPM sync works in both directions.
        If I press play on the Keystep the Bluebox runs at BPM selected on Keystep.
        If I press play on the Bluebox, the Keystep runs at BPM selected on Bluebox.

I did nothing to the MIDI configuration on both devices. It worked out of the box.

Edit: Oh I might got you wrong. Were you specially talking about pairing Bluebox and Blackbox?

Comment

• jayneural
          jayneural commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes though so far I haven’t really been able to get clock into or out of this for my setup be it for Blackbox or the rest of the MIDI chain (not using a thru hub right now).

Hi There,

jayneural just a short update especially for you.

I have now changed my setup to a single midi chain: bluebox -> key step -> mc 101. So I now use only DIN Midi from out to in. Main difference is, that now the key step will not output midi to the bluebox. So the bluebox has the role of the master clock. This works fine. Everything is started when I press play on the bluebox and everything is synced to the BPM set on the bluebox.

This works for my initial problem (why I posted this in wishlist)
        But I think there might be reasons not to have bluebox as the master clock. So the feature might still be interesting for other people / setups.

Cheers,
        ​​​​​​​Dan Day

Comment

• jayneural
          jayneural commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dan, I need to experiment a bit more on this.

I was aiming to have the Bluebox as master clock and commanding all the others to start on rec/play.

+1 on the remote record start via MIDI transport, I have a Eurorack system with a Pams New Workout, with a Pexp MIDI expander. Would love to get the Bluebox to start recording when I press play on Pam. I also assumed that would be implemented from the start!

Comment

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...438-midi-syncd
          based on this post, it seems like it’s a bug that it won’t start recording on MIDI clock. Hopefully it is and gets fixed soon!

Comment

I have a vector sequencer routed to MIDI in jack on front panel, it starts and syncs to vector when vector is started but of course recording would be good.

However, please think about how it stops recording! When I stop vector, BB stops and I get an abrupt cutoff of the recorded tracks. Any sustained notes are cutoff. So perhaps ability to auto start but have the option to keep rolling rather than stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Adesculpture View Post
              However, please think about how it stops recording! When I stop vector, BB stops and I get an abrupt cutoff of the recorded tracks. Any sustained notes are cutoff. So perhaps ability to auto start but have the option to keep rolling rather than stop.
              Yes, in my second post I had this wish mentioned already:
              "Oh and if we get to this point (and this could really be implemented) I would also like to have an option to stop recording not the moment I push on stop, but let it add a configurable tail to the recording (e.g. in seconds) to make sure the natural fade out of instruments is also recorded (and not stopped abrupt)."

Some sort of must have in that scenario...

Comment

Another vote for this, it is the only thing holding me back from purchasing it. If it worked as the Blackbox in this regard that would be spot on. Cheers

Comment

Another big vote for auto-start for recording, and option to record the tails when stopping.

Comment

These seem like pretty critical features. Sounds like the record start on ext. clock sync was supposed to be a function, so fingers crossed there is a fix soon.

Comment

+1 star record MIDI!

Comment

Fixed in version 1.0.9

Comment

Working...
                        X