No announcement yet.

Bluebox as a Audio Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has to support 44Khz though if one wants to use it with the MPC as sound card.

Comment

Simply perusing the first page of BlueBox wishlist topics shows almost triple the interaction on the topic of BlueBox being a usb audio interface over any other topic. 56 comments with the 2nd & 3rd closest topics being at 18 comments, a few around the dozen mark, and most being 0-5 comments

As far as I could tell, going through the 4 pages again, I only saw a single response from Aaron saying it wasn't being considered at this time. Much time has passed since then, more and more have requested it. I stand by my statement that this one feature alone would result in a noticeable uptick in sales. Another benefit I believe would be a resulting uptick in product visibility and buzz from the music making community through forum, articles, and all important video creators.

The BlueBox would be visible in all manor of configurations - hooked up to laptops running DAW's, attached to tablets and phones, being pulled out of travel cases and married with MPC's and the like. As a BlackBox owner, I see the development of theBlueBox being slower than its standalone music production big brother. It leaves me wondering if the overwhelming interest in this topic compared to other requests, is still considered non-essential or if 1010music not just sees this interest but is willing to address it further?

Comment

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        There is clearly a market for small size powerful audio/MIDI interfaces like that. Most of small jack inputs based audio interfaces are either lacking inputs or MIDI or both. I would accept it even if it can’t be used at the same time as the mixer features (audio/MIDI interface specific boot mode with sdcard file system access). Of course if it can be used while mixing it would be perfect.

• Suspect Frequencies
        Suspect Frequencies commented
        Editing a comment
        My mind already goes to imagining what the 2.0 hardware versions of the Black & Blue boxes will be like with everything learned from the 1.0 hardware releases and user experiences. Bluetooth and Wifi, optical audio, VST software bridge/integration like the Elektron's, nano PCI exchangeable SSD drives, Wireless Link, etc... but for now I would, like many, welcome USB audio.

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        If possible technically it would be more responsible to extend the features of existing hardware than already getting into new hardware iterations. With component waste and shortages we have now, it’s a better long term strategy to satisfy loyal users while extending sales of a current product by introducing new use cases. That requires the same amount of marketing to promote the new features but way less in design/development/maintenance.

Personally, just in my own home studio scope, I’m always in for something that can replace different pieces of my setup for the sake of cost, setup simplicity and physical footprint. I would certainly resell my Bluebox for an mk2 that offers more use cases, but what a waste it would be if if this can already be done with the current hardware.

Audio interface support is the only thing that has prevented me from purchasing a Bluebox. Interface support would be an absolute game changer. I would purchase IMMEDIATELY. I would venture to say 1010 would have a hard time keeping them in stock.

Comment

• Klaustrophil
        Klaustrophil commented
        Editing a comment
        There's no alternative with the same tiny foot print and all the capabilities the Bluebox already has. I can recommend buying it + a small audio interface and you'll have a way smaller and lighter setup than any other product which comes close to the features

would be nice to have

Comment

I bought a Bluebox yesterday and I took for granted that it works as a computer audio interface. Now that I hear it does not, I am very sad that I will have to return it when it arrives. I don’t think I will even unpack it. So sad…

Comment

In this day and age where you can download and read a products manual before making such an expensive purchase, I find it surprising you would buy something on assumptions that are not based on reality. For instance, no where in the product description does it say the BlueBox works as a class compliant audio interface. Luckily any creditable realtor worth their salt will have an easy return policy. You should checkout the Zoom and Tascam options. Good luck.

Comment

I used to think Bluebox really needed class compliant audio until I embraced it for what it is. If you're able to sync it with your DAW, since it records multitrack internally, it can be more useful used in conjunction with an audio interface.

My procedure: I'll send the main out of Bluebox into a pair of inputs into my DAW (I consider this a reference or "scratch track"). I also multitrack 4-6 tracks inside the Bluebox, tempo synced with my DAW. Once I'm done recording, I insert the micro sd into my computer, drop those 4-6 tracks into my DAW, double checking the sync with my Bluebox "scratch track" and boom, I just added more inputs to my system without having to switch interfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas1010 View Post
              Once I'm done recording, I insert the micro sd into my computer...
              That right there is one of the biggest issues for me. Repeatedly unplugging and plugging in that fiddly, fragile, tiny little SD card, well... feels like it's only a matter of time before the card itself or the slot it lives in breaks. Seems so unnecessary in 2022 when there's a thing called USB that pretty much everything else uses for that type of thing, especially given that the Bluebox has two of them...

A big +1 for making it an audio interface too, but failing that, basic USB file transfer at a minimum please!

Comment

I agree with the OP. I’d really like to see this feature. It eliminates one more piece of gear and adds a lot of utility for when USB audio is needed (like with a Maschine+)

Comment

Teenage engineering just released a portable mixer/audio interface. There is certainly a market for this - https://teenage.engineering/products/tx-6

I hope this news would help 1010 Music realize that they can get this chunk of the market with a firmware update for a device that costs 50% less and than TE’s mixer

Comment

Nice news break on that. I'd missed it. I think the BB still beats it in a couple of ways, but that's an impressive competitor, but at that price, it's competing against 2 blue boxes. Still the rechargeable battery and class compliant so it works with ios devices is compelling. Hard to not have the bluebox ui and flexibility for channels and levels, it's just such a good workflow.

Comment

TE definitely naiied it there, but what a price lol

TE is the only company I know of that has understood the value of merging a groovebox with a mixer that has plenty of inputs. It's a dream of a central device in a (mini) setup.

I hope that will inspire other manufacturers, including 1010. What about making the ultimate box ? Combining synth engines, drum engines, sampler, groovebox and mixer ? All with battery compartment, fully standalone. Just twice the size of a Blackbox/Bluebox.

Comment

• Jörgen
                        Jörgen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, the TX–6 is a fascinating device and obviously an interesting competitor to the bluebox. However, I'm not convinced by the approach to put as many function in a small box as possible. I would prefer a mix that is strong with mixing (including many mixing functions proposed in this forum). I personally don't need a mixer to have a sequencer, synth, etc.

• jayneural
                        jayneural commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I find the combination of a groovebox and a mixer interesting because it becomes not only central for sequencing but also for mixing your setup suddenly and makes the whole setting up much simpler in terms of cabling and configuring.

However I'm not fan of TE's synth engines/samplers. I'd love if brands like Akai, Native Instruments, could also add more inputs (6x stereo !) and mixing/recording features on their groovebox type hardware (MPC, Force, M+). And of course if 1010 could make a combo of Bluebox/Blackbox and some synth engines.

• Khidr
                        Khidr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking at the groove box functionality it seems weird, there is no real midi input so the synth can't be pitched externally, and the drum machine is very very basic. I think the concept is more to lay down a basic beat while you're tracking? Fancy metronome I guess? Re-use some op code? The one nice thing is you can exclude the synth / drum machine signal from your inputs when you're mixing, but I don't need a drum machine here. I think Elektron already does this pretty competently with something like the digitone where you get groove box, audio inputs and class complaint interface, but it's not much of a mixer with only a stereo in.

Originally posted by jayneural View Post
                      TE definitely naiied it there, but what a price lol

TE is the only company I know of that has understood the value of merging a groovebox with a mixer that has plenty of inputs. It's a dream of a central device in a (mini) setup.

I hope that will inspire other manufacturers, including 1010. What about making the ultimate box ? Combining synth engines, drum engines, sampler, groovebox and mixer ? All with battery compartment, fully standalone. Just twice the size of a Blackbox/Bluebox.
                      I do hope that the converters that TE used sound good. The sound quality is what impressed me the most on the Bluebox (even at 24-bit, 48khz). The TX-6 seems great, but I don't see it as a competitor to the BB with the price point and lack of independent recording capabilities.

Comment

Another vote +1

Comment

Yo Steve. Please

Comment

Working...
                          X