Recording FX retrurns + changing record mode to pre/post Fader/EQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording FX retrurns + changing record mode to pre/post Fader/EQ

Im currently looking for ways to record the internal FX returns.
    Having the FX returns as seperate tracks (like the input tracks) with EQ and also FX send control (for feedback stuff for example) would be awesome! The Main channel would have the FX on it too then, but you could record all individual track + FX returns, an then adjust levels later in the daw. Even if this would sacrifice 2 stereo input tracks this would be very nice!

I tried another workaround: if u use out 2 as your monitoring channel, use the out 2 SEND as a volume and leave the main volume down, you have the main out basicly as a FX return for both channels. but u loose the individual channels, as the recording is post fader, and the volume fader is down. For this to work, it could be useful to be able to change the point whrere the individual tracks are recorded. For example: post volume (default), post out 2, post cue, pre volume/post EQ, pre volume/pre EQ.

I think the first Idea is the better one, but an option the change the recording point could be very usefull in other scenarios as well!

+1
    To record all individual track + FX returns would be really useful.

Like @Galaxalex I've also tried work-arounds to achieve similar.
    But, it requires a lot of work and several recordings (and bounces) but still does not provide the desired end result.

Comment

+ 1

I assumed you could do this before buying. I don’t think it’s too much of a software update to add 2 internal fx channels and to be able to render their inputs to audio and optionally rendered to the outputs. So you could cue with all fx and record without. Don’t think it would need sacrifice any inputs as it’s in software. Although I am a software engineer I haven’t done much with audio gear so maybe I’m wrong

Comment

The new beta has pre-fader recording which is great. But yes! To be able to record the FX would be super nice if you want to re-visit the recording and do a new mix.

Comment

Looking forward to having this feature!

Comment

+1 to be able to record effects channels!

Comment

Yeah definitly!!! Please implement recording the FX.. there are sounding awesome and if one wants to make a nice atmo with endless filter delay or the reverb freeze one definitly needs the FX seperated from the main out. An option to activate the FX-Busses for recording is crucial.Thank you!

Comment

I'd add a +1 to this. Also, to add to it as I don't think it needs it's own thread, it would be good to be able to route the delay into the reverb, something I find really useful on the Digitakt that would be great on the mixer also.

Comment

+1
                  I was recently recording a jam that will be mixed/mastered separately and FX return tracks would be nice to have there

Comment

I've just taken a jam into my DAW from the Bluebox for the first time (my intention is to jam out the idea and finish up in the DAW). The workarounds to record effects only in Main are unworkable for my setup so being able to record them separately would really be great. I'm going to have to go through replicating the BB reverb and delay in Ableton which kinda defies the point

Comment

+1 for FX return tracks. I also wonder if a trick like phase inversion in the DAW may work. This would mean recording multitracks post fader, and recording the master with the post-fader mix and reverb separately but with no EQ or comp (either inside the bluebox or externally via the Main output). Then in a DAW you could mix down the multitracks to create a master recording without FX- leaving you with two masters- one with FX and one without. Then you could invert the phase of one of them and sum them, the conflicting / identical waveforms would cancel leaving only the difference between the two , i.e the FX. Going to try this soon and will update on the forum if it works.

Comment

+1 just purchased and pretty disappointed this isn't how it behaves by default.

Comment

Thanks for the request. We have it on our short list.

Comment

So does that mean there is no way currently (minus a long work around) to record the FX on the separate stems, i.e., they can only be recorded on the master track? Bummer if so, having to re-create all those musical delays etc in the DAW. Doing some mixing in the DAW now and I have no idea what Fx settings I used for tracks in order to replicate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nejben77 View Post
                              So does that mean there is no way currently (minus a long work around) to record the FX on the separate stems, i.e., they can only be recorded on the master track? Bummer if so, having to re-create all those musical delays etc in the DAW. Doing some mixing in the DAW now and I have no idea what Fx settings I used for tracks in order to replicate them.
                              This is pretty standard in this kind of traditional setup with shared effects sends and returns - it's not like a DAW where you have theoretically infinite per-track effects.

This is only my first 24 hours with the bluebox so I'm trying to think of a workaround until the feature is ready. I think you might be able to achieve it like this, although watch out for feedback! Note that I haven't tested it yet:
                              - Bring the levels down to 0 of (maybe mute, not sure) everything in the main mix except FX.
                              - Now the main mix is the "FX output".
                              - Use one of the other 2 outputs to monitor.
                              - Send the FX output into a spare stereo input.
                              - Now you can record that input just like any other stereo input.
                              - Send other signals to the FX as in normal operation.
                              - Bonus: get a little wild with feedback by sending the FX track its own output. Warning: take it easy, this might get too wild.
                              You do have to burn an input and an output, which is a bummer.

Comment

Working...
                              X