Wrong Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Notes

I've had the Synthbox now for a couple days and already I'm in love. This thing is so much fun and sounds great! Nice work!

I have noticed though, that every so often it will play a note that is +/- a semitone from what it should be. I'm guessing it has to do with timing of the gate arriving slightly ahead of the new note from the sequencer. I am using Malekko's Varigate 8+ and Voltage Block for sequencing and I have noticed with other Digital S&H modules (i.e the O+C) that I have to delay the trigger a little bit to prevent this issue from happening.

Does anyone now if it is possible to adjust internal timing of the Synthbox?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Hi Daniel,

It is not currently possible to adjust the internal timing of the synthbox. It is designed to accommodate a change in the CV that would correspond to a different note at any time.

Are you playing notes near the top of the voltage range (4-5V)? If so, try a lower voltage to see if that makes a difference. I know synthbox can transpose in the main settings. I'm not sure if your sequencers can make a counteracting adjustment.

Did you buy this unit preconfigured as a synthbox or cross grade the firmware from another unit? This question will help us with the debugging and next steps.

Thank you,

Aaron

Comment

hi there,

same happening here,
      i have a sequene in minor scales coming from an Eloquencer and sometimes it plays like 5 o 6 notes off the scale
      Sequencer seems to work well in other VCOs
      Notes are not near the top, i found this issue as well
      I have a Bitbox with the synthbox firmware installed

thanks
      pauk

Comment

Originally posted by pauk View Post
        i have a sequene in minor scales coming from an Eloquencer and sometimes it plays like 5 o 6 notes off the scale
        Are you saying the incoming pitch versus the pitch you hear is off by 5-6 semitones?

Comment

I am having the same problem with the Eloquencer/Synthbox combo with notes outside of the scale in the Eloquencer sounding regularly but randomly

Comment

Dykehouse,

Sorry to hear this. Have you tried using a lower register, 0-2V, instead of 3-5V for the pitch? Please let us know for debugging purposes.

Thank you,

Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              Hi Daniel,

It is not currently possible to adjust the internal timing of the synthbox. It is designed to accommodate a change in the CV that would correspond to a different note at any time.

Are you playing notes near the top of the voltage range (4-5V)? If so, try a lower voltage to see if that makes a difference. I know synthbox can transpose in the main settings. I'm not sure if your sequencers can make a counteracting adjustment.

Did you buy this unit preconfigured as a synthbox or cross grade the firmware from another unit? This question will help us with the debugging and next steps.

Thank you,

Aaron
              The notes were in the middle of the range, but I did have the Synthbox transposed up approximately 13 semitones in the main settings.

I bought the unit preconfigured, but I have switched it back and forth several times between the Synthbox and Bitbox firmwares.

Let me know if there is any other info I can provide you with. If I can reproduce it, I'll post a link to a video in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
              Daniel

Comment

Daniel,

Would you please do one other test for me:
                1) Enter test mode on the module by holding the home button while powering up
                2) Take a picture or video on the initial screen with nothing connected
                3) Next connect a keyboard or sequencer into all four PTCH inputs
                4) Play and hold the note corresponding to 0V (this is C0 on some devices). Take a picture of the screen
                5) Play and hold the note corresponding to 4V (the is C4 on some devices). Take a picture of the screen

The reason for this request is that we believe this is a hardware specific calibration issue. The more we know about your specific situation the better. Thank you very much.

Aaron

Comment

Same issue here. Bought a Syntthbox about a month ago. Just updated firmware to latest and plugged it in. Notes are off about a semitone except for C. See attachments for the requested test.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X