First impressions/ideas: MIDI Pad Note assignment / some other things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions/ideas: MIDI Pad Note assignment / some other things

New user and having fun so far, but here are some small changes that I think would improve things based on my experience so far! May be existing features/workflows that I'm missing here so happy to be pointed to the documentation if I'm missing something.

1. It would be great if when looking at the 'MIDI' page for a pad, it didn't just say 'Pad Note: Default' but also told you the default note and channel (eg something like "Pad Note: Default [D2 on channel 10]"). Even just showing the default pad note would be excellent. Finding it pretty confusing when attempting to set up MIDI-to-pad mappings and difficult to find out what the defaults are.

2. It would also be really useful to have an option of 'Pad Note: None' for when I wish to completely disable MIDI triggering of a pad, or an additional option to 'enable/disable' so the MIDI mapping is preserved but can be turned on/off. It seems the only current way to ignore input on the default pad note is to set the pad note to an unused note, but its not easy to guarantee that a note won't ever be used.

3. Similarly, and maybe this already exists but I've missed it, it'd be really useful to be able to mute/disable a pad quickly from inside the Pads section -- its a bit awkward having to 'Home' out to the main menu, then into 'Mix', then press 'Info', and then mute the pads that way.

4. I'd find it really useful when setting the Pad Note if it could display the note and also the GM drum note name (eg "Bass", "Acoustic Snare", "Clap", etc). Perhaps only when accepting pad input from Channel 10 (drums), although personally I would like this to be configurable (maybe a global setting to 'display drum names alongside note for channel(s) X'?), as in my current setup I'm mirroring drums on a separate channel. It might be useful in some setups to display the MIDI note number too.

5. Perhaps also a global or preset-based 'default pad note mapping: default/drums', to map the pad defaults to the most important GM drum notes instead of to their usual defaults, allowing the Bitbox to be used as a drop-in drum machine responding to GM drums? Or configurable default mappings (loaded from SD card?) would be good so the user can set up their own preferred pad arrangement to match controller.

6. 'Learn' option for MIDI Pad Note, ie when selected, the next received MIDI note is assigned to this Pad's Note.

7. Also, when setting a modulation source to MIDI CC, there seems to be no indication or way to manually set the CC to respond to, only to 'Learn'? Would love to be able to see which CC number is already configured, or to manually set this. Bonus points for also showing the standard MIDI CC name for the control (eg "volume", "filter cutoff", etc).

8. When assigning MIDI note to pads, display info on 'conflicts', ie which pads are already assigned to this note. Would be useful for seeing what's going on, and setting up groups.

9. An 'export/display all mappings' function so you can view or save a txt or xml file, listing what all the currently active MIDI mappings are, for ease of setting up an external controller/DAW to match the preset and for archiving the setup for recreation and possibly for copying MIDI mappings between presets.

10. Couldn't find a way to do this (maybe its not possible?) -- would be good to be able to view the EXT5-8 inputs on the Pads screen as well as EXT1-4.

Whew, that turned into quite a list, thanks for reading and my apologies but I hope they are useful suggestions! I've been doing a lot of work on my own Arduino-based MIDI "drum translator/euclidian sequencer" device, so my mind is always ticking over on how I can integrate and improve things and how to squeeze extra functionality into its limited capabilities, so that's spilling over into my Bitbox usage now too . (If anybody is interested in this project let me know or check it out at https://github.com/doctea/drum2musocv, its currently quite tailored to my individual setup but I intend to make it more generic and if I eventually add any cool Bitbox-specific features I'll post it on the forums anyway).
    Last edited by doctea; 02-28-2021, 08:37 AM.

1. It would be great if when looking at the 'MIDI' page for a pad, it didn't just say 'Pad Note: Default' but also told you the default note and channel (eg something like "Pad Note: Default [D2 on channel 10]"). Even just showing the default pad note would be excellent. Finding it pretty confusing when attempting to set up MIDI-to-pad mappings and difficult to find out what the defaults are.
    The defaults are MIDI Note#s 36-51. This will always be the case when configuring the MIDI Pads parameter in TOOLS. IF you set MIDI Pads to CH 1, send note #s 36-51 to trigger or start/stop pads.

2. It would also be really useful to have an option of 'Pad Note: None' for when I wish to completely disable MIDI triggering of a pad, or an additional option to 'enable/disable' so the MIDI mapping is preserved but can be turned on/off. It seems the only current way to ignore input on the default pad note is to set the pad note to an unused note, but its not easy to guarantee that a note won't ever be used.
    Note # 1 is available and almost never used. But This is a good request.

3. Similarly, and maybe this already exists but I've missed it, it'd be really useful to be able to mute/disable a pad quickly from inside the Pads section -- its a bit awkward having to 'Home' out to the main menu, then into 'Mix', then press 'Info', and then mute the pads that way.

4. I'd find it really useful when setting the Pad Note if it could display the note and also the GM drum note name (eg "Bass", "Acoustic Snare", "Clap", etc). Perhaps only when accepting pad input from Channel 10 (drums), although personally I would like this to be configurable (maybe a global setting to 'display drum names alongside note for channel(s) X'?), as in my current setup I'm mirroring drums on a separate channel. It might be useful in some setups to display the MIDI note number too.

5. Perhaps also a global or preset-based 'default pad note mapping: default/drums', to map the pad defaults to the most important GM drum notes instead of to their usual defaults, allowing the Bitbox to be used as a drop-in drum machine responding to GM drums? Or configurable default mappings (loaded from SD card?) would be good so the user can set up their own preferred pad arrangement to match controller.

6. 'Learn' option for MIDI Pad Note, ie when selected, the next received MIDI note is assigned to this Pad's Note.

7. Also, when setting a modulation source to MIDI CC, there seems to be no indication or way to manually set the CC to respond to, only to 'Learn'? Would love to be able to see which CC number is already configured, or to manually set this. Bonus points for also showing the standard MIDI CC name for the control (eg "volume", "filter cutoff", etc).

8. When assigning MIDI note to pads, display info on 'conflicts', ie which pads are already assigned to this note. Would be useful for seeing what's going on, and setting up groups.

9. An 'export/display all mappings' function so you can view or save a txt or xml file, listing what all the currently active MIDI mappings are, for ease of setting up an external controller/DAW to match the preset and for archiving the setup for recreation and possibly for copying MIDI mappings between presets. [/QUOTE]

These are interesting and useful and we will consider them.

10. Couldn't find a way to do this (maybe its not possible?) -- would be good to be able to view the EXT5-8 inputs on the Pads screen as well as EXT1-4.
    Currently, only 1-4 are visible.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are always appreciative of feedback. I can't make any promises that all or any of your requests will make it to the device, we do listen and will consider your input here.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are always appreciative of feedback. I can't make any promises that all or any of your requests will make it to the device, we do listen and will consider your input here.

Thanks
      Thanks ever so much for taking the time to read and reply, and for making such a cool device that I'm still having fun with and only scratching the surface of the possibility. Sorry again for the overload of ideas

Comment

Working...
      X