• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thing gets hot. Is that normal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bitbox micro.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	16694Just installed the BitBox Micro today. Quite a bit of heat coming from the front panel. Is this thing just running generally hot? Slightly concerned.

Also installed the new firmware and I am still getting screen flickering.

Otherwise it is working well. Enjoying the Rhodes capabilities..
    Last edited by antf4rm; 08-06-2020, 03:38 PM.

The bitbox micro does get warm. Some of the ICs may even be too warm to keep your finger on them.

Where on the front panel is the heat coming from?

Regarding the flickering, we will have a new build tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      The bitbox micro does get warm. Some of the ICs may even be too warm to keep your finger on them.

Where on the front panel is the heat coming from?

Regarding the flickering, we will have a new build tomorrow. Stay tuned.
      Good to know. Some of the Ics get sper warm like you said too warm to keep the fingers on. ok. as long as that is normal.

As far as the flickering it would be nice to dim the screen even more (I like stuff really dim.) Or, have a screen saver mode which turns the screen/buttons off or shows a minimal display after some time physical of inactivity.

Comment

In my case not only the bitbox micro is going hot. The Power Modules that I use (Tiptop Zeus and Sythrotek Deluxe PWR) air becoming hot as hell.

Comment

Mine is hot enough to be concerning. It seems hottest around/under the screen. I've never had any module that comes close to the heat this thing is putting out. Is it from the processor? I'm getting worried about my other modules in my 7U case as well as what's going to happen long-term to the micro.

Comment

Originally posted by LonzoB View Post
            Mine is hot enough to be concerning. It seems hottest around/under the screen. I've never had any module that comes close to the heat this thing is putting out. Is it from the processor? I'm getting worried about my other modules in my 7U case as well as what's going to happen long-term to the micro.
            Totally agreed. Same feeling here. How will it last running this hot?

Comment

After 30 minutes or so mine is very hot at the top of the module around the screen. Hotter than any other module. I rearranged my case to put a gap in the row above it to allow hot air to escape, and that seems to help a little.

Comment

I am experiencing the same - now running a fan on my desktop to cool down the BitBox micro and whole 7U 84hp Intellijel case that houses my performance system.

Comment

Hmm, was about to buy my first Eurorack case (Intellijel 62hp) and modules. Was sold on the Bitbox Micro until reading this. I'm guessing adding heatsinks to the ICs would void warrantee and in a small case with little ventilation won't do much to reduce heat anyway.

Starting to think a larger case would be necessary.

Comment

The micro will heat up. It can get pretty warm to the touch but should not be so hot to burn you. It's an intense little CPU and touchscreen in a tiny box.

Edit: I've had more than one micro turned on all day long inside an Arturia RackBrute (3U & 6U) and a Roland skiff. And while they do get hot, I have never noticed a performance drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The micro will heat up. It can get pretty warm to the touch but should not be so hot to burn you. It's an intense little CPU and touchscreen in a tiny box.

Edit: I've had more than one micro turned on all day long inside an Arturia RackBrute (3U & 6U) and a Roland skiff. And while they do get hot, I have never noticed a performance drop.
                      What worries me about the heat is that not all modules take to heat the same. For instance, the Modcan Touch Sequencer has glitch issues when there's lots of heat in the case. Mine will reside in the same 6U as the Micro. I've installed a fan module for this purpose, but I'm hoping it'll be possible to avoid turning that on unless necessary.

Since decreasing the brightness of the screen reduces power consumption (how much I'm still waiting to know from Aaron) will it also be possible that it reduces the heat production?

Comment

• Steve
                        Steve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes. Lowering the screen brightness will certainly draw less power. It's usually worth doing.

my bitbox micro Do NOT have a heating problem, maybe its a power supply issue .? .. , my eowave case gave problems with all modules heating and or noise .also doepfer and michigan sy.0.5 also ..,

i replaced it with a behringer eurorack pro and all problems were gone ....

Comment

Ok, I can report back after having the Micro on a TipTop Mantis case and leaving it on for a while. It doesn't get more hot than your average module. I'm comparing by hand to a Braids and Morpheus and neither of those are less or more hot than the Micro. I have lowered the brightness to 0% and I have the finetuning of brightness at -93% (!!!), thankfully since the unit is new (came from the shop with 0.11 firmware installed and I upgraded to 0.12) there are no blackouts with the brightness at minimum level.

Just wanted this out there for anybody else worrying. I have not yet put this on the case where some heat-averse modules reside, but I will and I'll report back when that happens. So far I've tested with TipTop and a 4ms Pod and it works fine in both with no crazy heat-issues whatsoever.

Comment

• Steve
                          Steve commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Which case were you using when you experienced the excessive heat?

Steve I never claimed I experienced excessive heat from the Micro. At least not yet. Based on this thread I got worried that I might, but so far I have not, and I'm still testing the bugs of the current functionality (0.12.0). If it passes the test, which so far it has not, I'll move it to a gig focused Spacecase 6U which has some modules that are prone to heat issues. We'll see how that goes. So far on a 4ms Pod and a TipTop Mantis the levels have been ok, but I've had the screen brightness at super low levels as a precaution.

Comment

• Steve
                          Steve commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You have addressed heat/power in this thread. I'm not trying to split hairs. I am interested in the various cases you have used/tried and the outcome. We can't possibly test every case and PSU combination. But it's valuable info for us (and our users).

• Paranormal Patroler
                          Paranormal Patroler commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not splitting hairs either, just pointing out that I was worried there might be a problem due to the OP but I have yet to run into a heat problem. Being clear as this might be read by other people in the future.

As I said, so far I've tested 4ms Pod and TipTop Mantis. Will test on Space case 6U with Zeus (not uZeus) power from TipTop and with Synthesizer.gr power rails in the future. Got tons of cases to try this with (I'm counting 6 different types looking around at the studio). But really, it isn't getting more hot than other modules. Raised the brightness to higher levels to avoid flickering and still no problem.

• Steve
                          Steve commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is good news. I am still always appreciative to have data from our users. If you see any quirks with a particular case or PSU we would love to hear from you.
                      Working...
                      X