Reset internal clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reset internal clock?

Is there any way to send a “reset” trigger or gate into the Bitbox Micro so the first beat of the measure in the internal clock matches the first beat of the measure the rest of my modular system is playing? If not, in what way should I achieve this?

You can connect MIDI TRS or a Gate signal to control the clock on the micro. Press the TOOLS button 2x to configure the desired input as CLK. The micro will interpret this as 4 ppqn.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response.

I think you may be misunderstanding my question. I know that I can sync the tempo by providing a clock signal. My question is about how I can sync the “one” — the first beat of the measure. Without being able to sync the “one”, the Bitbox Micro starts recording or playing on a beat that is not the “one”, and this is often highly problematic for either recording or performance.

If this feature does not exist, it would seem that 1010 Music has assumed the Bitbox Micro would be the “master clock” of any system where it is used. I think it should be pretty obvious that it’s not going to play this role in most systems.

This seems like it could be pretty easy to fix in a firmware update. We would simply need to be able to set one of the inputs as a “reset” input, similar to what we have on many other modules in the modular synth world. 4ms Quad Clock Distributor and Music Thing Modular Radio Music are examples.

Without this, I have to say that much of what I expected to be able to do with Bitbox Micro will be impossible, and this is very disappointing.

Comment

HI Bill -

Yes, the micro (nor any of our devices) does not have a reset input. Our devices, including the micro, should reset every time there is a new clock signal. If you send a clock signal to the micro, the micro will reset its internal counter to 1:1 and begin counting up from there, assuming you are sending it a 4 ppqn clock signal. This behavior is the same if you send analogue clock or MIDI clock.

Are you experiencing something different? Which version of the firmware are you using?

Comment

To expand upon this point: when the incoming clock stops for more than 3 seconds, the module will assume the next/first clock pulse in the new stream is effectively a reset.

Comment

Thanks! I have made this work with a triggerable switch to control whether the clock signal reaches the module.

Comment

Is there a way to do this with midi? And if so, how do I find those settings?
              Does the micro receive midi transport messages?

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                No. The micro does not. You will need to feed it a clock signal to control it.

• mewraz
                mewraz commented
                Editing a comment
                I see, thank you for clarifying this!
                Basically, my eurorack sequencer has midi capabilities and I'm just looking for ways to free up the CV inputs on the BBM for more modulation.
                Also, it would be nice if everything stopped when I stop the sequencer.

I'm having some trouble setting this up. I use a beatstep pro as my main clock source, and it is hooked up to the micro via midi. The problem I have is that my sliced up drum breaks doesn't reset when I restart the beatstep. I've tried also sending the micro clock via the beatstep clock out, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by echobravo View Post
                I'm having some trouble setting this up. I use a beatstep pro as my main clock source, and it is hooked up to the micro via midi. The problem I have is that my sliced-up drum breaks doesn't reset when I restart the beatstep. I've tried also sending the micro clock via the beatstep clock out, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions?

1. the sliced pad does not reset. This is true. Others have requested a way to reset a sliced pad and this is on the wish list.

2. MIDI & Clock. From my KeyStep Pro, I can send MIDI to the micro and it follows as expected. If you stop the BSP, make sure to wait 3 seconds (as stated above) before resending the clock. Before you can send the micro clock signal you must set an input to CLK in the Input screen.

Comment

• echobravo
                  echobravo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I figured out a workaround where I use one of the melodic sequencers on the bsp and program the drum break there. That way the first slice is always on the 1. Works great!
              Working...
              X