Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are samples loaded and how is the 'type' defined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are samples loaded and how is the 'type' defined?

I recorded a long sample today but whenever I load it up, it defaults the type to Slice even though there are no Slices in the sample. Why doesn't it load it as a Sample? What determines that? I keep trying to save it and when I reload it loads as a sample, but when I power off and reload it goes back to being a Slice.

If the Micro finds markers in the audio file it will set the mode to Slice. Can you verify there are no markers in your file?

Comment

It does not have any markers. Weirdly, I did load the file yesterday and it loaded as a sample, so I did some tests... if I load the WAV into slots 2 & 4 it will load as a Slice type. If I load it into any other slot it will load as a Sample. This is consistent even when I power cycle the Bitbox Micro.

Comment

Hmmmmm - doing some more tests, I'm getting inconsistent results with other files too. I can load a file with no markers into Slot 6 and it will appear as a Slice type. I can load the same file into Slot 7 (for example) and it is loaded as a Sample. I think there must be something up with my machine or a gremlin in the code.

Of interest, I created a new Preset and the issue stopped, the file now seems to load up as a Sample in all slots. So, something is up with my Preset (which is a basic set up I made for my system). I can send you that file with the WAV so you can see what it might be.

Note - if I reload the 'corrupt' preset and load the file again into slots 2 & 4 it is loaded as a Slice again. So yeah - something must be up with the preset.

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to see that preset/wav combination.

Here's a link to the Preset and WAV file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tec3xlgxi...ample.zip?dl=0

Comment

Any word on this? I've since created many new presets and more often than not, this sample will open as a Slice type not Sample type. It's annoying.

Comment

I tried the MEGA FM.WAV sample and didn't have any trouble. Do you have another example?

Comment

Did you also load the Preset also? As this is where the problem occurs.

I can create a new preset and the WAV loads as a sample (correct). But what I've noticed on 2 presets now is that in some pads the sample defaults to loading as a Slice (incorrect).

I've supplied a video of the WAV being loaded into all the pads. In 2 of the pads the sample loads as a Slice, in all the other pads they load as Samples.

As I say, on a new preset they load correctly but something happens over time and this changes. My best guess as to what might be the cause is that the pads have previously been used for a Slice and the preset was then saved - going on from there, loading a new WAV (specifically this WAV not all WAVs) then loads as a Slice. This is my best guess.

Here is the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz2awgiiah...Slice.mp4?dl=0

Comment

I'm convinced that the sample mode was pre-existing as Slicer and it stuck when loading a new file. MEGA FM.WAV loads as a Sample in every new preset. It only happens in the same 2 pads in your preset. If it is happening in any consistent way ("on a new preset they load correctly but something happens over time, and this changes") keep track of the steps to reproduce. Are you swapping files on those same pads? Or, is there another pattern?

Comment

OK - that would make sense. However, I thought the following is true (from the manual)...

"Bitbox micro also makes an assumption about the pad mode based on the parameters that are available in the WAV file."
                  I did some more tests...

I started with a fresh Preset. I loaded a WAV with slices, Pad Mode changes to Slicer. I then tap on the Slicer icon and select 'New Rec' (which is the way to clear the pad). If I then load up any other WAV the Pad Mode remains as Slicer. The Pad Mode only changes if I manually change it back.

Maybe this is a bug or not? It feels like a bug as the manual says that Bitbox changes the mode based on the sample meta data. And also clearing the pad via New Rec should, in my mind, clear everything including what mode it was previously in.

Thanks for helping me at least figure out the logic behind this though I do hope it can be addressed. Interestingly, changing a Pad Mode to Granular and then going New Rec and loading a WAV file with slices changes the Play Mode to Slicer.

Comment

Check your RecConfig setting in the tools menu. If it is set to "Per Pad" then the idea is that the box will remember the previous type. This is so you can record into a predetermined type if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                      Check your RecConfig setting in the tools menu. If it is set to "Per Pad" then the idea is that the box will remember the previous type. This is so you can record into a predetermined type if you like.
                      Will do. I'm just wondering if there could be a simple 'clear pad' option somewhere. Sometimes I just want to start fresh and not inherit any of the sample mode settings etc. I realize this has become a feature request than a bug report

Comment

Working...
                      X