Loops sound modulated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loops sound modulated

I am having an issue using the loop feature. I am able to get loops to record in sync, but on playback they are not consistent. There is a warble or modulation on the playback that isn’t happening going into bitbox micro on some passes. Is this because it slaves to Midi? I changed the Midi clock feeding it and it seems to be solid for a while, but I still randomly hear artifacts.
    Last edited by Dhbrowne4; 10-29-2020, 07:22 AM.

Follow up. So for this I was sending clock from pyramid and with one tenth of a BPM fluctuation, it caused modulation and unstable playback when using rec to play. When I stopped sending clock, and bitbox micro was playing back on its own clock, the playback was stable. When I switched back to pyramid clock, it seemed fine as well. Sometimes stopping and starting loops fixes the playback issue. Any way to make live looping smoother?
    Last edited by Dhbrowne4; 11-02-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Following up. I’m surprised this hasn’t been addressed by anyone else. I have attempted to clock the bitbox micro externally both via MIDI and analog clock while live looping. Both scenarios cause unstable playback that is heavily modulated. I am using a 64GB fast SD card, clock only drifts for a tenth of a bpm. Is this something you as a company are looking into? As of firmware 1.0.12 this is still an issue and makes the looping feature useless. I purchased this module specifically to live loop on 8 pads and playback is so bad, I am considering selling the unit.

Comment

Okay, so the problem is stemming from the default “Sync” setting the loop has once created. The default Sync setting is set to 1/16 which creates a lot of issues on loop playback(stuttering/modulation). When I change Sync for the loop to 1 Bar, playback is more stable and this device is more functional as a looper. Can we update the firmware so you can specify this Sync option for loop playback before the loop is created or choose a global default for sync? Also, please allow for midi control of Rec button for loop recording per pad so you don’t have to manually start recordings on the bitbox.

Comment

Update: if you go to the pad set up page and turn to the right on the Pad Mode, even though it still displays sample, the launch mode changes to toggle and you get different options for set up including quant size and sync params to set up prior to recording. I have not tested these new configs but will report back tomorrow. If this is viable, it would still be nice to trigger REC separately per pad via midi.

Comment

Looking forward to knowing your results. Thanks for updating this topic!

Comment

Okay, so it looks like with access to those settings (see my last post) prior to recording, I can now set quantize and sync to values that suit me. These settings saved and my template is working well.

Please consider the suggestion regarding the record button.

Comment

Thanks for this whole thread. I'm just now getting into looping audio in the Blackbox and been seeing the same issues. Kind of surprised there's no response here from the 1010 team though...

Comment

We do try to read every post. Some slip through.

The Sync setting depends on the type of material you are recording/syncing. Drums, for example, benefit from that smaller size (1/16). But pads and longer sounds work better with larger Sync intervals. Perhaps, this is what you experienced? Changing the Sample Mode will also change some settings to accommodate the new mode.

Our devices do not offer values to the right of the decimal for BPM. However, they do follow those 'in-between' settings at 40 BPM and above. We do have a video regarding syncing Clips and relevant settings. The video covers the Blackbox but the settings and functionality are consistent between our devices.

Comment

Working...
                  X