Output configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output configuration

I discovered something great today - the outputs are DC coupled which means they can be used for more than just audio. And so I was sampling CV shapes and other modulations. Super cool!!

This got me thinking, it would be great to be able to configured the outputs the same way you can configure the inputs to have a few more options. I could see Clock / Reset / Run being very useful. I rarely need 8 audio outs but would benefit from my midi clock being sent through Bitbox via it's outputs to the rest of my system.

Going even further, outputs could be configured to send Pitch / Note / Velocity / CC etc...

:-))

Yes! this is what I want too! please consider the option to configure to send clock out of the bitbox

Comment

Perhaps this is easy enough to implement in a future OS, but until then you can already do most of the things you mention by sampling CV.

clock: record a sub audio square wave at the rate you want. You can just trim it and loop it if you don’t care about synchronizing the internal clock. If you do want sync, switch to slice mode and insert a marker just before each rising (possibly also falling) edge. Save the audio file, then open it in clip mode and chose “slice” from the Quantize menu.

But you need another clock source anyway (aargh!). I don’t know why they haven’t included an option to adjust the internal clock - it seems like a priority considering the amount of tempo-based functions on the unit. I know it’s on the wishlist.

Reset: record a single trig, trim the start to the edge. Set quantize to 1bar or more and turn off loop. This will fire a single pulse on the downbeat when you press play. You can record longer files and sync them so you have 4 bar reset, 8 bar reset, etc. If you have another sequencer you can record a loop if for example you need the pulse at the end of the loop.

you can record gate + cv as a stereo file and play it back into other modules. This works well really with triggers, because auto-scan is good at picking up transients when there’s a pulse on every note. You may have to manually adjust your note slices if you’re using a gate. Then all the features of slice mode, including randomizing, playing notes backward, etc. are available on your voltage clip.

CV can be manipulated, stretched, sliced, just like audio, but keep in mind that (like audio) you will get artifacts (they sound good!) when applying extreme settings. Also, if you are trying to preserve v/oct make sure you are recording and playing back at Unity again (0 Db). Even then, small differences in capacitance and the other electronics in your case may make it play out of tune (my o/p 6 plays slightly flat - no proper automatic output calibration like Expert Sleepers stuff), but it’s close enough that a small fine tune adjustment fixed it.

hope this helps! If you’ve discovered any other solutions or techniques to please share!

Best,
      Yan-

Comment

Working...
      X