Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolbox 1.1.0 Discussion

A new beta version is now available here:

Please use this space for your comments, suggestions, concerns, bug reports, etc.

Thank you for your support.

Wow, this is quite an extensive update!

If you change a GATE Seq to NOTE, which jacks are then assigned to pitch and gate? Can the NOTE seqs use both of the jacks when assigned to something else?

If all 16 of the CV jacks are the same, wouldn't it be better to have 16 empty slots and when a NOTE seq is loaded it expands out to 2 slots on the main screen? When you say you're still working on the "cosmetic problems", I assume that's what you mean?

Also, 64 steps are available for the GATE seqs, but there's only 32 steps in the window?

It's looking great so far!!

Comment

To be able to customise the configuration would be great. This would be my preferred kind of setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolbox UI redo.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1532

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        If you change a GATE Seq to NOTE, which jacks are then assigned to pitch and gate?
        The jacks are still hard coded to the corresponding space on screen. In other words, if you change what is originally a GATE to NOTE, you will only get the gate output. There won't be a CV output. Keep in mind that you can use MIDI and get the full experience.

Can the NOTE seqs use both of the jacks when assigned to something else?
        If you want to use analog control, you need to put the NOTE blocks in the center double-sized section.

If all 16 of the CV jacks are the same, wouldn't it be better to have 16 empty slots and when a NOTE seq is loaded it expands out to 2 slots on the main screen? When you say you're still working on the "cosmetic problems", I assume that's what you mean?
        They are not all the same, which is part of the challenge. The gate outputs can only do 0 and +5V. The CV outputs can do a full -5V to +5V range. In order to realize your screenshot with analog, it would require an unconventional set of hookups.

Also, 64 steps are available for the GATE seqs, but there's only 32 steps in the window?
        It's on my list.

Thanks for the quick feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          The jacks are still hard coded to the corresponding space on screen. In other words, if you change what is originally a GATE to NOTE, you will only get the gate output. There won't be a CV output. Keep in mind that you can use MIDI and get the full experience.
          Powerful indeed and a distinguishing factor amongst eurorack sequencers.

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          They are not all the same, which is part of the challenge. The gate outputs can only do 0 and +5V. The CV outputs can do a full -5V to +5V range. In order to realize your screenshot with analog, it would require an unconventional set of hookups.
          Even though the gates can only output 0 to +5V there are still applications where an lfo curved signal would be good to sequence. (think of it along the lines of letting the toolbox sequence modulation.)

I can appreciate the GUI sticking with the physical layout of the module, but I don't think this convention is good enough to warrant missing out on the opportunities the hardware permits. We circumvent this by just letting the ports be assignable within the tracks regardless of their location in the GUI. This is what you've done, but the remaining step to this would be if the CV ports are set to be Note sequencers, in the gate sequences teh drop down selection menu would have an option to link this portion with one of the note sequencers. For simplicity to make it that gate 1 goes to LFO 1 turned Note sequencer and so on, but would be really cool if you select the link option and then are able to select the note sequencer in question.

That said, you can accomplish 8 tracks of sequencing now with the beta but it just a little tedious, as you would need to do the notes and then make sure the gate track corresponds to it. The end result of being able to link gate and note sequencers outside of the 4 hardcoded note sequencers would be the same as what is already possible. This is really just about convenience and improving workflow.

All of this said, this is a huge update and a giant leap forward. Thank you very much for the hard work!

After getting the 64 steps available in all sections, the last little major update would be pattern saving, loading, and chaining. And if you really just wanted to be an over achiever and truly have a killer feature set, being able to sum midi channels to one midi out (or 2, 3, or 4) would be amazing. (Summing with incoming midi as well as midi being generated in the toolbox would be super ideal. Just mainly the more midi functionality we get the more powerful it all becomes.)

Well done and thanks again!

2d
          Last edited by 2disbetter; 03-17-2018, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I can't help thinking that if the cells in the GUI weren't hard coded to the corresponding jack spaces, then layouts like the one I posted above would be possible.
            New presets could have 16 empty slots (similar to bitbox), that could be assigned a functionality, and then we could fill out the grid as required, and assign any output to any sequencer... I'm probably proposing the ridiculous, (as usual), but I think It could improve the workflow and make it visually a little less cluttered.

Comment

Originally posted by 2disbetter View Post
              I can appreciate the GUI sticking with the physical layout of the module, but I don't think this convention is good enough to warrant missing out on the opportunities the hardware permits.
              You and Dan raise a good point and it something I struggle with. Breaking the connection between screen and jack solves some problems and creates others. We will continue to look at this one. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I'm really loving the new adjustable note length and pitch via control knobs!

It makes it so much easier to program and record stuff now.

Bravo Aaron!

Comment

I hate to chime in with out anything thing to add... but I am very very happy.

Comment

Yes, Awesome update...definitely having fun with this...Major step forward in functionality!
                    Very cool, thanks Aaron!

Comment

Aaron, one final request, but I think it would make a lot of sense to have a dedicated midi menu. As it is if you are routing midi from the midi in to a midi out, a sequencer has to be highlighted in pink to make this connection. However the second you push play this connection is broken until you click on it again. It would be great to be able to statically assign midi thru. One suggestion for how you would get to this menu or setting in the current control paradigm is that it could be reached by hitting the info button on the main screen without any sequencer highlighted. (Similar to how you cycle through setting pages on the note sequencers.)

Comment

great, i find the new LFOs better than my LFOs from the Batumi, much better adjustable

Comment

Hey Aaron, nice to meet you at NAMM! Gotta say how stoked I am with this update!

You really hit some of the biggest requests i was hoping for, like:

1. Variable pitch length.
                          2. Being able to change out the LFOs for different functions (especially being able to do multiple SEQ functions, thanks!).
                          3. Step and oct labels.
                          4. Copy/Paste of note data.
                          5. Being able to edit more than 16 steps of SEQ (now with 64! - Awesome)

Love some of the nice surprises too with the editing of notes on knobs, and the WAV playback! Really into playing with the audio playback more, but already digging how you can use that in conjunction with loops and one shots along with the gate sequencers to make some cool drum machine functionality happen. Amazing.

I found a few bugs with the WAV player.
                          1. Toolbox crashes/freezes when loading two CAMP modes in the FCN slots (repro below)
                          STEP 1: Go to FCN/SEQ 4 and change it to CAMP.
                          STEP 2: Go to FCN 3 and change it to CAMP.
                          RESULT: Toolbox will freeze, then a crash/reboot occurs - data is lost if not saved before changing the FCN.

2. Default "Play Rate" of an imported audio file is 50% - it should be 100%.

Do you care to elaborate on any further plans for the wav player feature?

Comment

Found another bug:
                            "It is not possible to mute a cell that is in WAV mode".

STEP 1: Change a FCN to CAMP.
                            STEP 2: Load a file and make sure sound is playing/looping.
                            STEP 3: Press Home to go to the home screen.
                            STEP 4. Hit Home again to enter Mute mode.
                            STEP 5. Mute the CAMP/WAV player.

RESULT: The WAV player is NOT muted and continues to play.

Comment

Bug:
                              "Changing Performances with the +/- buttons in the home screen can cause samples not to playback upon reload".

STEPS:
                              1. Load up a few WAV players and make sure they are set to autoplay or are triggered by gate sequencers.
                              2. Save the sequence.
                              3. Hit play so the sequence is playing and you are hearing the sample playback.
                              4. Press the + button to navigate to the next sequence.
                              5. Press the - button to go back to the sequence you saved.

RESULT:
                              Some samples do not play back. There are some odd clicks and pops in the place of the samples...

Comment

Working...
                              X