Toolbox 1.1.3 Beta Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolbox 1.1.3 Beta Discussion

Creating this thread since there isn't one yet.

I am having an issue with 1.1.3 Beta where using the + & - buttons to navigate through some Toolbox Presets is freezing toolbox.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Power off toolbox.
    2. Power on toolbox.
    3. Press the + and - keys a few times.

Result:
    Toolbox freezes (and eventually restarts).

Here is a video:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/knh325fkag...51.01.mov?dl=0

Toolbox Prestes (and samples) that eventually crash:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgith6dmxp...oxBug.zip?dl=0

Notes:
    This bug is not reproducible if I remove a specific .tlb file and samples (WAV) from my memory card (I.E. if I try and repro this bug with brand new sessions, it does not occur). It seems to be related to the files I am toggling through and perhaps related to the session w/CPLAY samples (see the 00 RINGS TIDES file specifically). I have attached a few of the sessions/samples that are shown crashing the system in the dropbox video. Note that the Toolbox Preset in question was created using the initial CPLAY implementation and maybe the system has become incompatible with updates/fixes?

Comment

Thanks for reporting this issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to changing presets more quickly than the engine can switch between wave files. It will probably need some additional logic. We will take a look after Superbooth.

Comment

Are 8 x note sequencers with pitch & gate outputs possible with this new firmware, or are we still limited to 4?

Comment

I have a similar issue as nohumas above. When switching presets a number of times Toolbox becomes very sluggish but doesn’t crash. BPM becomes a lot slower and it seems each time I switch presets afterwards it becomes slower. Changing bpm in the play menu doesn’t solve it, but starting and stopping a number of times sometimes resolves the problem. It all occurs very randomly. Running latest 1.1.3

Comment

Thank you all for your detailed bug reporting and feature inquiries. Aaron is in Berlin for Superbooth this week and will have extremely limited opportunities to check the forum and probably won’t have time to research bugs.
            I suggest you fall back to the previous version of the firmware until he can get this resolved.
            Thank you for your patience. We are a very small team and do our best to stay on top of issues in as timely a fashion as we are able.

Comment

According to the manual, only one control voltage sequencer track is available. Can I now have more than one control voltage sequencer track?

Comment

• yrn1
                yrn1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, you can choose almost any cell type in any cell. There are some limits though, like it seems the gate sequencer cells don’t allow all types.

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, you can load 8 x BAR sequencers in the cells that correspond to the CV outputs, and they can be up to 64 steps now too.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Are 8 x note sequencers with pitch & gate outputs possible with this new firmware, or are we still limited to 4?
              The limit of 4 NOTE sequencers with CV and Gate outputs is still there.

Comment

I am experiencing a new gnarly bug with CREC where I can record and playback the recorded CV after the record, but if saving, leaving the preset and reloading the preset the recorded CV isn't displayed and doesn't play. After checking the recorded file on my computer, it seems fine but Toolbox can't reload/display/play the file in CPLAY.

Steps:
                1. Plug a CV source into CV1.
                2. Load up a CREC on an appropriate cell.
                3. Record some CV – the cell changes to CPLAY.
                4. Press play and confirm that the CV is playing correctly.
                5. Save the current Toolbox preset.
                6. Load a different Toolbox preset or restart Toolbox.
                7. Load the Toolbox preset with the recorded CV.

Result:
                The file name shows up but after viewing the screen, there is no CV waveform view.

Workaround:
                None. I am currently unable to load recorded CV.

Example File:
                Linked here is the file that got recorded and no longer shows up in Toolbox (it will work fine on a computer however).
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gslvyhtzh...1.wav.zip?dl=0

More Notes:
                I found that if I kept recording and got to RC000003.wav, that the files did save/recall correctly but I am finding other weird crashing behavior. The Toolbox Preset linked below freezes my toolbox – perhaps unrelated but it it was the same session used to record the file linked above (in CREC) – I had forgotten to save the Preset and the Preset data was not saved (but the RC000001.wav file was still recorded).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znhylf8sj9...M.tlb.zip?dl=0
                Last edited by nohumans; 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can confirm this bug.

• Christine
                  Christine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the detailed bug report. Aaron will look at it when he gets back from Berlin.

Toolbox will crash when switching between CREC and CPLAY. This is sort of a non-standard use-case except in the case where it happened to me - accidentally loading CREC when I meant to load CPLAY.

Steps:
                1. Go to a cell and load CREC.
                2. On that same cell, now try and change it to CPLAY.

Result:
                Toolbox freezes, crashes, and restarts.

Comment

• Christine
                  Christine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks again. Your bug reports are very helpful. Aaron will look into it when gets back.

I am not sure what is going on, but I cannot get arpeggiator on Arturia Keystep to record correctly! What I get is an amalgam that is sort of rhythmic almost as if quantization is happening. If that is the case, how can it be turned off when in real-time recording mode. I use external pass through clock fed from Metropolis to Toolbox and I control the rate from my Keystep. That seems to work correctly! I record a simple two adjacent notes arpeggio pattern in 1/32 and everything seems to go haywire. Has anyone else experimented with faster notes inputs fed via MIDI ? When I play slower everything seems OK, but at faster rates, not having good results at all since it is quantizing like crazy! I'm surprised nothing is mentioned about this...Arpeggiators are a basic necessity of life. Does unquantized real-time record with faster sequences actually work ?
                Last edited by mghecea; 05-08-2018, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mghecea View Post
                  I record a simple two adjacent notes arpeggio pattern in 1/32 and everything seems to go haywire.
                  Try changing the step length to 1/32 on the info page for each sequencer. Then when you record MIDI it will quantize to 32nd notes.

The duty cycle is also very handy for dialing in shorter note lengths for snappier arpeggios!

Comment

• mghecea
                    mghecea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is why some of you experts probably should demo what you are talking about...Just a suggestion! I am very close to doing just that also, but I'm still getting the hang of this unit...Seems some form of aliasing is going on when sampling is going on. I though I have tried everything as far as step length. I'll give it another shot.

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll be sure to go over these settings in the toolbox video I'm working on at the moment.

Originally posted by mghecea View Post
                  I use external pass through clock fed from Metropolis to Toolbox and I control the rate from my Keystep.
                  it seems you are clocking with external hardware clock (not MIDI). It seems Toolbox needs some time to sync to an external clock (as Bitbox).
                  Metropolis only sends clock when in run mode, so first clock cycles will not be in sync in Toolbox and there is no way (for the moment) to sync to first sequence step..
                  maybe try syncing Toolbox from another continuous clock source and see if you can get good results?

I don't own Toolbox yet, so i could be wrong, anyone else recording with external hardware clocks?

there is a thread about toolbox & clock sync elsewhere:

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...877-clock-sync

Comment

• mghecea
                    mghecea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with you, but the sync lock should happen blazingly fast! I actually believe that it does not sync correctly from external clocks because even through metropolis steps fine from BSP clock, clock output to toolbox in my limited experience seems to jitter. That would explain the weird timings and the uneven note alignments. It could just be that some issue locking correctly on Metropolis clock does exist and I need to look into it more closely! It is beyond me why CLK input on Toolbox does not work correctly when I plug in TRS cable from CLK out on the BSP. I'll give it some more thought and even throw a scope on it and see what goes on...

Let me confirm what Dan is saying: You need to preset the toolbox step size to be equal or smaller to the incoming note size or you will lose timing information. Let us know if that does not help.

Comment

• mghecea
                    mghecea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, that makes sense to me. Does duty-cycle need to change also to something narrower than 50% or does that even matter when we set the step size to whatever timing we want to quantize to ? It might just be me, but perhaps a demo might be in order about quantizing correctly on external clocks like Metropolis. Seems that Metropolis steps perfectly in step driven by BSP clock. I take the output clock of the Metropolis and feed that into the Toolbox GATE1 because CLOCK or IN1 does not do anything on the Toolbox no matter what I try! The only observation is that GATE1 does work stepping the sequencer and it perfectly synchronizes from what I can see with Metropolis, however I believe it jitters from what I can see in the sequencer when it plays back...I should throw an scope on some of this stuff...Some of it is hard to tell what might be going on. I did find it weird that the CLOCK input does not work and neither does IN1. Those options are available in the selector. I have even tried passing BSP CLK out to Toolbox CLK and NADA! Gate 1 is the only option that worked from what I could see...Have not tried other Gate ports...

I've always used toolbox to clock other things, so I've never tried the clock input. I just noticed that it isn't available on the list of clock sources? Is this a bug?

Comment

Working...
                  X